Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 03-10-2017, 09:02 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Blitz shells have loads of tire space. I'm running 9mm hexes with 60d tires and the body slammed.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by damang999 View Post
Hi all
I have been running my m05 on carpert for the past 6 months and the setup has been pretty sweet running m and s grips .
The local group has left the carpet and now running on ashpalt and running on shimizu 60d slicks .
My car is really lacking turn in in the medium to fast corners.
Setup is as follows
Tamiya big bores 50w front 40w rear with blue front springs and yellow rears with 3 hole pistons
Ride height around 6 to 7mm
Gear diff with 10k oil
Stock silver can motor.
Tires.I have tried hard fronts medium rears then medium front soft rear .
Medium wheelbase
Im thinking im a little heavy on the shocks? Car was consistanly fast on carpet . I have never run on road ashpalt before so im a little lost for direction and any help would be appreciated
anybody?
Old 03-11-2017, 05:05 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

anybody?
That's me.

First, try running the front a little lower than the rear. If that doesn't cut it, soften up front springs and oil a bit. Your setup seems pretty normal otherwise.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:39 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
That's me.

First, try running the front a little lower than the rear. If that doesn't cut it, soften up front springs and oil a bit. Your setup seems pretty normal otherwise.
Thank you . I will give those a try at this weeks meet
Old 03-12-2017, 10:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Laguna Bozo View Post
Jim,
I think 64mm will be a little too long in the front, 62-63 better, at least at the Tamiya track (outdoor asphalt of questionable quality right now). Also, the normal rear shock position works better for me than the hinge pin position. Good luck.
Craig
I'm finally getting around to mounting the rear dampers. I'm going with the standard position, instead of the hinge pin. Also, using a Yeah Racing (?) rear shock tower. The only position I can get the dampers mounted in on the tower so they don't hit the chassis is the outermost one. So, they're almost vertical at this point.

I haven't rebuilt the rear dampers yet, so they're still at 55mm. At this length, the rear arms are level and I'd guess there'd be about zero droop once the car is on rubber. Guess that's the next job. Front arms are just a little below level. I'll leave them alone until I've had some test laps.

Also...I noticed that using the inner or outer position on the rear arms doesn't really make any difference to the damper length. Makes a much bigger difference with fronts.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default M-chassis Ride 60D tyres on sugared asphalt track

My mini has been peerless at club level for some time on Ride 60D 36c all round. I did try MC38 on the front but that did not some close to the locked down handling I had enjoyed and car is fast all round with that combo.

In a weak moment I decided to give the provincial championships a whirl at our club track yesterday. To my consternation, I had pretty zero rear end grip on the now sugared track (there are foam tyre classes as well).

My normal go to rear tyre for low traction is the small Shimizu treaded, which resolved the corner tracking issue but made the car wiggle alarmingly down the main straights in the heat. I finally settled on some Team Powers at the rear for the final but was off the pace and not as sure footed as before, at all.

The obvious solution is to revert to S Grips and start again but the amazingly low rolling resistance of the Ride 60D has made me greedy.

Anyone else run in to similar issues with Rides on sugar and can advise?

Kind regards
Dave
Old 03-13-2017, 10:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi all
I have been running my m05 on carpert for the past 6 months and the setup has been pretty sweet running m and s grips .
The local group has left the carpet and now running on ashpalt and running on shimizu 60d slicks .
My car is really lacking turn in in the medium to fast corners.
Setup is as follows
Tamiya big bores 50w front 40w rear with blue front springs and yellow rears with 3 hole pistons
Ride height around 6 to 7mm
Gear diff with 10k oil
Stock silver can motor.
Tires.I have tried hard fronts medium rears then medium front soft rear .
Medium wheelbase
Im thinking im a little heavy on the shocks? Car was consistanly fast on carpet . I have never run on road ashpalt before so im a little lost for direction and any help would be appreciated
I have m05 running on asphalt and its had a lot of grip, no happy back

Here's my setup:
-Track indoor asphalt with tight cornering layout
-3racing Suspension 3holes piston all around 50mm length with tamiya damper oil (front:500,rear:600) with front trf blue spring white spring with blue dot, and rear full blue color spring (trf blue dpt is slightly harder than the standard blue spring)
-im using type b tires (i know it's for outdoor hot track but it work brilliant!
Ps. Before running i always use tire traction to break in the tires to work perfectly on cold indoor asphalt track

-medium wheelbase
-ride height about 4mm all around
-suzuki swift bodyshell
-ta03 ball diff it set fully tighten the balldiff screw with extra shims about 0.4mm (almost locked 😁😁&#128513
-10.5t brushless motor
Old 03-13-2017, 10:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

https://youtu.be/GYIxTGT5ojw

Here's the vid of my m05 vs tamiya f104 with that setup above
Old 03-13-2017, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

That seems.. counterintuitive. The M03 is a wacky car, in that it's weight is really, truely, far up front.

Traction rolling, seems to be dealt with by fitting less sticky tries, or doing things to prevent the tires from making traction when the outer sidewall gets loaded up. EG: gluing sidewalls.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:49 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Ended up with 55mm fronts and 60mm rears and all 4 arms hang just below level. Not much work left to do. Had to go with a super smooth ball diff as the 3Racing diff is leaking very slowly around the gasket.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default rear tyre traction on sugared track

Ok resolved my own query thanks to google and same advice from Calvin back in 2011, history repeats itself - was gluing up some Shimizu soft slicks last night.....

Originally Posted by iti20090 View Post
I had pretty zero rear end grip on the now sugared track (there are foam tyre classes as well).

My normal go to rear tyre for low traction is the small Shimizu treaded, which resolved the corner tracking issue but made the car wiggle alarmingly down the main straights in the heat. I finally settled on some Team Powers at the rear for the final but was off the pace and not as sure footed as before, at all.

The obvious solution is to revert to S Grips and start again but the amazingly low rolling resistance of the Ride 60D has made me greedy.

Anyone else run in to similar issues with Rides on sugar and can advise?

Kind regards
Dave
Old 03-14-2017, 12:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

What is the preferred tire and wheel offset for black Ozite? I'm running kit tires right now but I'm in the mod class, so I'd like to try a better set of tires.

TIA
Old 03-16-2017, 03:20 PM
Tech Addict

what will the affect be of running a wider offset rear rim? im looking at changing bodies but to make it look right it needs an offset rim
Old 03-17-2017, 01:51 AM
Tech Regular

What body are you running ? You may be able to run a longer arm rather than rim.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Hello all! New around here to Tamiya Mini's (well, after last running a Mini about 15 years ago!)

Is there a recommended diff I can fit to my M03? Can the newish Yeah Racing one be fitted with some modifying? If not maybe blue tack in the standard diff will be the next best option!

Also do the fast gears fit the M03 ok and a worthy upgrade? I'm running indoors on a high-grip carpet track with hard Shimizu's all round btw

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.