Like Tree222Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Reply

Old 09-09-2016, 05:02 AM
  #28051  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 52
Default

Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
What ESC comes in the stock M05 kit?
M05 with new mazda mx5 miata body come with tble 02s esc..
Idk what body that include tble 02s esc besides the mx5 body.. just ask the seller..

Mine was the mx5 body.. i've tried the esc with sensored brushless motor.. it run smooth but the output is a little low.. the motor can't perform maximum speed and power.. need more punch.. even with the lipo batt (i use 40-80c 2s lipo)

Except from that weakness the esc is flawless
kytr8matic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:09 AM
  #28052  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 515
Default M-chassis bodies

Since buying the pro-spec or racing-spec m-chassis is usually the best value for performance, are there any places people would recommend for purchasing Tamiya m-chassis bodies? And tires?

I am only coming up with retailers selling bodies for $40+ plus shipping @$15+. Which makes for a pretty expensive buy.

ESC restrictions for racing
Secondly, in your experience with m-chassis racing, are is there a limit or class for the esc's you can run? I have a Futaba brushed ESC which can handle down to 13T, I am wondering if that would be legal in your league?
4roller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:19 AM
  #28053  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 2,031
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by 4roller View Post
ESC restrictions for racing
Secondly, in your experience with m-chassis racing, are is there a limit or class for the esc's you can run? I have a Futaba brushed ESC which can handle down to 13T, I am wondering if that would be legal in your league?
It really depends on where you're racing, check with your local track. In Australia it's a 13T Hobbywing ezRun combo only. USA TCS is a Reedy Sonic M3 21.5T last I heard.
gigaplex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:00 AM
  #28054  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
(0000000000)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,123
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

If you have a brush speed control, stick to a silvercan and save up for a good Brushless esc and motor.
(0000000000) is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 08:04 AM
  #28055  
Tech Master
iTrader: (89)
 
iluvmud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,567
Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by (0000000000) View Post
If you have a brush speed control, stick to a silvercan and save up for a good Brushless esc and motor.
how do these guys handle BL motors? I have the M05vII and have a spare Tamiya BL esc and Novak 10.5t motor sitting around.
iluvmud is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:24 AM
  #28056  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
eR1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,743
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

how do these guys handle BL motors? I have the M05vII and have a spare Tamiya BL esc and Novak 10.5t motor sitting around.
The M05's are pretty robust, -we race by TCS rules which specify a brushless motor. So Tamiya specifiy's brushless for their competitions. However those are 21.5t brushless.

I am not sure about a 10.5t, that is really fast, I think the gears and car would hold up fine, ...just not sure how controllable that would be, especially since it isnt AWD.
eR1c is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:47 AM
  #28057  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (20)
 
AngryRog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 675
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

I had an opportunity to drive an M03 with a 4.5t at the Tamiya America track a few weeks back. Gnarly acceleration as to be expected, but quite controllable. I was very surprised.
AngryRog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:40 PM
  #28058  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 78
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

So what clubs in Australia are using an alternative to the 13T Hobbywing ezRun combo ?

Can I run a 13.5T Brushless ?
blueracerRC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:24 PM
  #28059  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
gigaplex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 2,031
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by blueracerRC View Post
So what clubs in Australia are using an alternative to the 13T Hobbywing ezRun combo ?

Can I run a 13.5T Brushless ?
As far as I know, no decision has been made yet regarding a replacement to the discontinued ESC. I had an old 60A v1 version of the ezRun ESC lying around and purchased the motor separately and am running that. Technically not legal but no performance advantage and they can't realistically enforce a spec rule on a discontinued part. Using a generic 13.5T though wouldn't be allowed, it's considerably more powerful than the 380 sized 13T Hobbywing.

There has been talk about allowing the 60A version of the ezRun, or switching to the QuicRun ESC.
gigaplex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:54 PM
  #28060  
Tech Master
iTrader: (89)
 
iluvmud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,567
Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
The M05's are pretty robust, -we race by TCS rules which specify a brushless motor. So Tamiya specifiy's brushless for their competitions. However those are 21.5t brushless.

I am not sure about a 10.5t, that is really fast, I think the gears and car would hold up fine, ...just not sure how controllable that would be, especially since it isnt AWD.
Originally Posted by AngryRog View Post
I had an opportunity to drive an M03 with a 4.5t at the Tamiya America track a few weeks back. Gnarly acceleration as to be expected, but quite controllable. I was very surprised.
Thanks guys, I have the reinforced gears installed in it so I'm hoping that it will hold up.....doesnt hurt trying it out!
iluvmud is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:01 AM
  #28061  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 515
Default

Originally Posted by (0000000000) View Post
If you have a brush speed control, stick to a silvercan and save up for a good Brushless esc and motor.
Yes. I have a Hobbywing xerun 120A v3.1 esc and a 13.5T brushless motor for my xv-01. A little overkill for a m-chassis me thinks but probably good out of control fun.

I had the brushed ESC lying around and was hoping it would be acceptable in certain m-chassis races.

Is there a stock class like silver can and maybe another faster (brushed) class motor allowed in TCS or other mini classes? 25T brushed? 22T?

Or do people generally run the esc and silver can that comes with the car? True stock.
4roller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 05:14 AM
  #28062  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,276
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

It seems, from the read, there are either completely bone stock class using those kit dampers and all (only hopup allowed are bearings), and the TCS rules.

Sure miss the days when we just ran open class for m-chassis. Any chassis, any motor, any mod, any body, everything goes as long as you're having fun.
sakadachi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:54 AM
  #28063  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
(0000000000)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,123
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by 4roller View Post
Yes. I have a Hobbywing xerun 120A v3.1 esc and a 13.5T brushless motor for my xv-01. A little overkill for a m-chassis me thinks but probably good out of control fun.

I had the brushed ESC lying around and was hoping it would be acceptable in certain m-chassis races.

Is there a stock class like silver can and maybe another faster (brushed) class motor allowed in TCS or other mini classes? 25T brushed? 22T?

Or do people generally run the esc and silver can that comes with the car? True stock.

It really all depends on where you intend to race. Australia has a spec motor. Canada has a spec motor. American TCS has a spec motor. There's nothing stopping you from running any motor you want. But if your intention is to race, you'll need to know what the motor rules are for that club/track.
(0000000000) is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:46 AM
  #28064  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 515
Default

Originally Posted by sakadachi View Post
It seems, from the read, there are either completely bone stock class using those kit dampers and all (only hopup allowed are bearings), and the TCS rules.

Sure miss the days when we just ran open class for m-chassis. Any chassis, any motor, any mod, any body, everything goes as long as you're having fun.
I guess if I ever get one of these then it will have to be an open class. I don't think I could stand non upgraded vehicles. Haha.
4roller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 07:51 AM
  #28065  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 515
Default

Originally Posted by (0000000000) View Post
It really all depends on where you intend to race. Australia has a spec motor. Canada has a spec motor. American TCS has a spec motor. There's nothing stopping you from running any motor you want. But if your intention is to race, you'll need to know what the motor rules are for that club/track.
Thx. I was hoping there was a defined motor. Like 17.5 stock, 13.5 mod, etc for m-chassis, I guess there really isn't a worlds m-chassis event, like ifmar or roar, since it would really only have Tamiya cars. TCS would be the closest thing. And it sounds like bone stock silver can + bearings.

My wife gave me the no-no look when I mentioned getting another RC. Lol.

Thanks all. Keep on crashing.
4roller is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service