Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 06-06-2016, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ya the toe I don't think was in too much.
Wait, are you referring to front toe? ...are you running "toe-in"? -that doesn't seem right (if I understand correct). I think the kit calls for a bit of toe-out, ...more toe out will give stability, yet decrease top end speed. ...I am running about .5degree of toe-out up front and 1.5 degree toe in rear. -if that helps.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:44 AM
Tech Regular

Ya the toe looked like it went in when I dropped the arms. I drove it today and it seemed ok. I can switch the king pins around but it seems alright at higher speed right now so I'm gonna leave it. It changed pretty dramatically and I have the adjustment as far in as it will go for toe out.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:21 PM
Tech Master

Glad the camber link adjustment worked well for you Eric. I still believe that it has more to do with roll center more than it has to do with negative camber, but the point is that this change works to achieve more front steering without scrubbing speed or tire wear.

M05 Newbie: toe is measured at natural height. Mount your measuring tools (camber/alignment mounts/gauges), pick up the front end, lift it a couple inches from your flat surface (setup board), let go and allow gravity to find the natural height after the car has hit the surface and rebounded.

Pushing down on the front end with give you an artificial toe and camber setting due to the massive amount of bump steer in the mini.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:32 PM
Tech Regular

Ok good tip....so drop it on the flat table from an inch or so up and let it sit naturally. I'll check that tn and see what it looks like....from what I could see the last few times tinkering around was that it seems as if the toe is close to zero (straight)....and with how it drove today at higher speed I think it's ok. The ride height is pretty low too. Can't drive in parking lots with little rocks without just smashing it all to hell.

Thankfully today I found that nice little patch of concrete which is definitely going to be my new spot. It's perfectly smooth and rock free! Going to set up a tear down track there soon that I can keep in my car!

Thanks for that tip!
Old 06-06-2016, 07:42 PM
Tech Regular

I changed the king pin location to the furthest one back and cleaned out the bearings and added a .5mm washer to the right front wheel bearing to take up some slack (had a little too much play)...the toe looked about dead straight. I dropped the car flat on the table from an inch and it was almost touching the table....maybe 1.5mm at the most at the lowest point. I added the thick c shaped spacer from the kit on the top of the shock and BAM. Toe is sitting out about 1 to 1.5 degrees and the ride height looks flat and even all the way down. It has nice travel and rebound now instead of just bottoming out. Should drive a whole lot better now and save some of that chassis plate from dragging on the ground.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:22 AM
Tech Regular

I told my daughter if she can do figure of 8's both ways round some obstacles she can race on Sunday. She seemed reluctant to even go outside to try so I was concerned I was being a bit pushy.

Went outside, stuck 2 wheels down on the ground and she instantly did about 6 figure of 8's each way and said "can we go in now please?". It's like she is desperate to race but considers bashing in the street a pain in the ass

she chose a really nasty unpainted but cut out Spice Alto works shell. I spent hours tidying up the cuts and she laid the first coat of Tamiya Fluorescent pink!

she is very, very excited.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Great! Just be patient with her and when you get to the track, notify your race director that there's a rookie driver on the track. If he's any good, he'll make her smile alot!!!
Wish her luck from Team Golddust, I remember when my son was 10 and was just starting out, now he's17 and a certified terror on the track! Great memories for both of us!
Old 06-07-2016, 08:22 AM
Tech Regular

Everyone knows her already and it is a very happy place for her to be. I'm very conscious to just give her a chance to play and if she enjoys it help her where I can and if she doesn't help her sell her car and buy something else
Old 06-08-2016, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Glad the camber link adjustment worked well for you Eric. I still believe that it has more to do with roll center more than it has to do with negative camber, but the point is that this change works to achieve more front steering without scrubbing speed or tire wear.
YES! Thank you 0000000, -it worked great and was an easy tweak. Totally removed the front wheels from scrubbing, -amazing how much better it went around the corners. For now just soaking all my bearings in Teflon to get as much friction out as I can. Otherwise my car is good ...just need to keep taking the shortest lines around the track.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

..hey so can anyone confirm ...is the Tamiya JCW body still in production or discontinued? (I made a post about a page back).
Old 06-09-2016, 12:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Does anybody know if the DF03 heat sink bars are available in black? The M05 Ver II R comes with a black aluminum motor mount with the holes for the bars, but no bars. The M05 Ver.II Aluminum Parts Set Black Anodized #84407 has black versions of the bars but I don't want to buy the whole thing just for the bars. I guess I could just use blue or silver ones, but OCD!!! lol
Old 06-09-2016, 12:34 PM
Tech Elite

that is annoying that the "R" kit doesn't come w/ the bars. As far as I know they don't offer any of the black anodized parts individually. Have you checked the Tamiya website, -they usually list out every option part.

I've been waiting for the pink colored M05VII chassis.

-jk

(remember the pink M05 chassis's they sold).
Old 06-10-2016, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Has anyone found the sweet spot with the Timing with the Reedy Mach 3 motors yet?
Don't want to burn it out before the race starts!!!
Old 06-10-2016, 12:03 PM
Tech Regular

I learned a valueable lesson. The bullet connectors from the Hobbywing 1060 and the dynamite motor I got....garbage. they melted through the plastic cover and shorted together.....checked the voltage at the esc and only 400mv came out. Resistance was 12000 ohms. Pretty sure I blew the esc. Tried hooking the silver can up and still nothing.

Does anyone know the voltage that should be coming out of the esc wires?I'm assuming more than 400mv?
Old 06-12-2016, 04:35 AM
Tech Elite

They melt if you over drive them too much. Perhaps your gearing was wrong? But yes, high output motors pull a lot of amps. When I was racing back in the days, I soldered the thick wires directly to the motor, or ran Deans.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.