Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 04-21-2016, 11:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
The Tamiya M chassis cars all use "0.6 Module", or ".6 Mod" pinions. Some people call it "metric 48p" but they're off. Robinson Racing sometimes uses the term metric, but it's inaccurate.
Thank you, that's kind of what I thought remember reading somewhere.
E
Old 04-21-2016, 10:56 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sakadachi
antlockyer - You can put damper o-rings in the drive cups. One per side should do.
Perfect, I'll do that today.

Thanks
Old 04-22-2016, 12:38 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Just did a bunch of reading about how gear module/pitch is determined and defined. It boggles the mind that some crazed loony (effin engineers, eh?) sat down and figured out a more difficult way to express a simple idea, then everyone went along with it.

Equally as difficult to understand is why Tamiya and a few others, chose to run with .6 module, but only in part of their product lines. It's mostly used in cheaper products. It would seem running with the industry standard would be more cost effective, but I suppose this is just a different industry standard.

As far as who makes/uses .6 gears I've found Tamiya, Duratrax, Redcat, Kawada, Yeah Racing and several industrial suppliers. Always go with hardened aluminum, Duralumin or steel. And never, ever, use the pinion Tamiya puts in the kit, unless you're just starting out. Good pinions are cheap. Crappy ones are cheap too, but they wear out quickly and take the spur gear with them, then you're buying more than you need to.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:27 AM
Tech Regular

So I just changed all those gears last year....maybe 1 or 2 batteries ran through it after that but should I change the pinion? I only have the one that came with the kit.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:51 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by M05 newbie
So I just changed all those gears last year....maybe 1 or 2 batteries ran through it after that but should I change the pinion? I only have the one that came with the kit.
Couldn't hurt. Cheap insurance at any rate. I really like the Kawada ones, but I've got a Duratrax in one of my cars and it seems very solid.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by antlockyer
Perfect, I'll do that today.

Thanks
NP, hope it all works out for ya.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:15 PM
Tech Regular

Hey I may have asked this before and it's been a wild few months since I put my little mini away so I'm sorry of I forgot....but where is a good place to order from in Canada that has decent parts and supplies for the mini and other rc stuff. This economy needs a boost anyways up here considering our dollar is worth less than a Cuban peso. Any suggestions guys? Who do you use and why?
Old 04-22-2016, 06:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey I may have asked this before and it's been a wild few months since I put my little mini away so I'm sorry of I forgot....but where is a good place to order from in Canada that has decent parts and supplies for the mini and other rc stuff. This economy needs a boost anyways up here considering our dollar is worth less than a Cuban peso. Any suggestions guys? Who do you use and why?
ATD Hobbies in Pentictiom because Amber and Anthony are super nice.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:31 PM
Tech Regular

Hey anyone use the tamiya aluminum high torque servo saver....how much better could it be? I have a massive plastic one and it takes a pounding....old faithful hasn't let me down yet....not a clue what brand either lol. Is the tamiya one worth the money?
Old 04-23-2016, 05:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The tamiya one is fine. However, there is nothing to compare it to since you don't know what you currently have.

ATD hobbies is probably the best resource for mini parts in Canada. With that said, they can't tell you what you need over the phone without seeing your mini or know what application you are applying it to. You race 17.5 mini's in Ontario, which is significantly different from the Mini Spec motor operated in BC.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey anyone use the tamiya aluminum high torque servo saver....how much better could it be? I have a massive plastic one and it takes a pounding....old faithful hasn't let me down yet....not a clue what brand either lol. Is the tamiya one worth the money?
It is night/day better than the one that comes with the kit. But you still need to get the aluminum steering linkage with the aluminum bellcrank and a decent servo to make it worthwhile.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:07 AM
Tech Regular

Well my computer decided to not get up and work so a guy at work is going to fix it up for me and then I'll get some pics up. See what I have. I have the aluminum steering parts....just need the adjustable rod now but she's getting there. I'll post some pics when I figure out my I T issues lol. I'm working on my garage to get my big tech 1000 mac tools box in here so I can finally have a little rc race shop. Oh is it overdue. Anybody have pics of there shop set up for the rc cars?
Old 04-25-2016, 01:38 AM
Tech Regular

Hi guys,

I have an m05 that I have been racing for a while now and I am fairly happy with the setup. I run it in a mid wheelbase config on a medium/large outdoor ashphalt track.

I have a second car that is also setup pretty well but it is a short wheelbase. It just doesn't handle anywhere near as well. Any tips for getting it to handle the same track?

Also, out of interest, what are the main parts that differ on the M03? Is it only the chassis (part tree A) what else would be needed to convert an M05 to M03?
Old 04-25-2016, 02:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by filippimini
Hi guys,

I have an m05 that I have been racing for a while now and I am fairly happy with the setup. I run it in a mid wheelbase config on a medium/large outdoor ashphalt track.

I have a second car that is also setup pretty well but it is a short wheelbase. It just doesn't handle anywhere near as well. Any tips for getting it to handle the same track?

Also, out of interest, what are the main parts that differ on the M03? Is it only the chassis (part tree A) what else would be needed to convert an M05 to M03?
You'd need to get every part tree. Other than the drivetrain and some fasteners, most of the parts are different. The battery holders and bumpers are on the C tree, and the gearbox cover is on the B tree. You can probably reuse the suspension components from the M05 (even though they are a bit different), but you'd need the F tree for the medium wheelbase adapter.
Old 04-25-2016, 11:25 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by filippimini
Very cheap and easy to do.

Main chassis.

Bumpers, suspension bits, body posts, etc

Mid wheelbase adaptor

Each of these parts is about $5 from Banzai Hobby. They ship fast and super cheap, too. The first item is the entire chassis. The second item will supply you with the bumpers, front body posts, servo mounts and front upper arms. The third has the mwb adapters, but you can buy alloy ones from 3Racing and others.

The only other things I can think of that you need would be a servo saver horn with two holes in it, like a Kimbrough large and a couple of 23-25mm turnbuckles for the steering linkage. Have a look through the manual and you'll get the idea.

Here's the instruction manual. Have fun!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.