Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 04-20-2016, 05:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sakadachi
The horizontal body post support does not need to be graphite to be useful. I do use them on my higher performance chassis as my Rover Mini bodies are tall and requires the added rigidity for the rear posts.

I even wrap the post with tape before I slide the support through to ensure there is no play. Check my albums pages for the supports I use (and made) especially the 4WD mini's I have.
Is there a plastic cheaper one? I'm in to save money. I mean let's face it I'm not in any competition or anything....I just like having something at its best if it can be better.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:57 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M05 newbie
Is there a plastic cheaper one? I'm in to save money. I mean let's face it I'm not in any competition or anything....I just like having something at its best if it can be better.
Make a C channel out of a piece of lexan, drill holes top and bottom, slide over posts. Cheap, simple, effective.

I love Blitz shells. Cheap, 2 weights of lexan available and tons of room inside the wheel wells. I can run 60Ds, 7mm hexes, slam it and still have room. I'm using the Jazz mostly, but the RS is good, too.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Make a C channel out of a piece of lexan, drill holes top and bottom, slide over posts. Cheap, simple, effective.

I love Blitz shells. Cheap, 2 weights of lexan available and tons of room inside the wheel wells. I can run 60Ds, 7mm hexes, slam it and still have room. I'm using the Jazz mostly, but the RS is good, too.
And for this idea I love you lol. I love making stuff too because it feels so much better to fabricate something. Good stuff. I'll post pics on my progress once I get it going.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Oops
Old 04-20-2016, 10:47 PM
Tech Master

Not sure... does the 05 use 48 pitch pinion gears or something else, and what is it?
Thanks,
E
Old 04-20-2016, 11:08 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

The Tamiya M chassis cars all use "0.6 Module", or ".6 Mod" pinions. Some people call it "metric 48p" but they're off. Robinson Racing sometimes uses the term metric, but it's inaccurate.

Newbie, here's a pic of one. I think this is lexan with a carbon decal on it. Just make sure the holes the body posts fit through are *just* big enough. Less slop equals less body waggle.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:19 PM
Tech Regular

Good to know about the porsche. It's my first so I'll go with the RS1 body for now. Is there marking points or anything on it to know where to drill or I just measure myself and go from there?
They make a tool (there are cheaper alternatives if you search)

http://racepf.com/accessories/crossh...-mounting-kit/
Old 04-21-2016, 12:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by elecsual
A drill bit and a hobby knife or dremel to clean up the holes works fine.
No it doesn't work "fine". Anything less than perfect holes will make the lexan prone to cracking.
Originally Posted by elecsual
The body reamer is a nice to have, but that money could easily go towards parts, tires or other set up tools that will improve your handling.
It's a 5$ tool. No something you want to skimp on, considering a single, unpainted body can cost 20$. Some people...
Old 04-21-2016, 06:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
The Tamiya M chassis cars all use "0.6 Module", or ".6 Mod" pinions. Some people call it "metric 48p" but they're off. Robinson Racing sometimes uses the term metric, but it's inaccurate.

Newbie, here's a pic of one. I think this is lexan with a carbon decal on it. Just make sure the holes the body posts fit through are *just* big enough. Less slop equals less body waggle.

I like this design. thought it was a WildWilly front bumper at first. Lol

And yeah, considering the $30+ per body and the time I spend painting a decaling no way would I use a drill bit or screwdriver to open the body post holes!!
Old 04-21-2016, 07:32 AM
Tech Regular

Ya I'm going to get the reamer tool. It's not like I won't be needing it again. I just ordered the RS1 body and I'm going to take my time with it. I have my mini basher body for now. Going to use some of the mini decals on it if it looks nice. I'm excited to actually have a decent body but no one to race with yet. Everything around me is off road. It gets boring racing nobody.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

Ya I'm going to get the reamer tool. It's not like I won't be needing it again. I just ordered the RS1 body and I'm going to take my time with it. I have my mini basher body for now. Going to use some of the mini decals on it if it looks nice. I'm excited to actually have a decent body but no one to race with yet. Everything around me is off road. It gets boring racing nobody.
Yeah, I use the reamer for non-RC things too. It is good to have around the house.

Unless you enjoy cars for what they are, I can see how you'd get bored driving by yourself. I use to race RC a lot and that was fun back in the days.

These days I don't want to deal with other cars hitting my car and damaging the body work. I like driving by myself or close buddies (real car hobbiest that also enjoy RC cars) that know how to drive RC well and we rarely tap our cars as we enjoy our cars go around our make-shift track using marker dots for the sake of driving.. just as if we are driving our real hobby cars. Makes for a great BBQ outing.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:45 AM
Tech Regular

Ya it's a blast. I'm all by my lonesome but I may have some friends joining in soon on the fun. May get a truck tho....so my kids can play and not smash the shit out of my mini lol
Old 04-21-2016, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Sounds good, M05 newbie! Yeah, off-roaders are fun too. I like driving my comical Tamiya GF01 Land Cruiser. It is considered a 1/12 scale 4WD mini truck that can also pop wheelies. I have one picture in my albums page.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:32 AM
Tech Regular

I've just been doing chaufer turns with mine in my office for about 10 minutes. Never get bored with that

Now the TA03 diff in the M05. It seems like the drive cups can move out far enough to disengage from the diff if you turn the wheels at the right time or turn the car on its side. Am I missing something?
Old 04-21-2016, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

antlockyer - You can put damper o-rings in the drive cups. One per side should do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.