Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 04-04-2016, 11:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks its pritty much done now only weird thing is in order to turn the correct way compared to the direction i steer the controller so i turn the controller wheel right ( when looking face on to the controller) the mini goes right i have to have the steering in reverse on the controller and the same thing happens with the throttle it has to be switched to reversed to work in the right direction how do i fix this
Old 04-04-2016, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Minijaym
Thanks its pritty much done now only weird thing is in order to turn the correct way compared to the direction i steer the controller so i turn the controller wheel right ( when looking face on to the controller) the mini goes right i have to have the steering in reverse on the controller and the same thing happens with the throttle it has to be switched to reversed to work in the right direction how do i fix this
You have already fixed it. That's what the reversing switches on the transmitter are for.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

OSherman, -love the new body!
Can you tell me, how does this body compare to the JCW you were running? Has it changed the handling at all? Speaking performance only, what can you tell us??

Antlockyer,
I would recommend getting a bunch of practice laps in w/ your Mini. Take notes, tweak your car make adjustments and keep playing w/ it. What happens when you adjust toe-in, camber, shock springs, tires, etc.... I literally spent 2 full seasons getting my car dialed in. Once you are dialed in, it really isn't about speed so much as driving in my opinion. I raced yesterday, I dialed my timing way down as our track was a shorter tighter track, -so speed really didn't make a difference. I wanted low end punch. Some guys would pull ahead and start to catch me on the straights but the straight accounts for like 20% of our track, ...I spent all the turns pulling back ahead ...not because of speed but because of low end punch/torque and a shorter driving line.
In short, keep tweaking your car and keep practicing.

-------
Mini was our featured event yesterday, had a huge turnout, very competitive. I race w a few guys who compete at the TCS level (B-main guys at TCS ...not like OSherman)!! Anyway, I got 3rd in our A-main. The 1st place guy wasn't even a turn ahead of me. I was in 1st at one point, yet the top 3 of us were pretty neck and neck the entire race. ..anyway, wen't home w/ a really nice trophy, was happy w/ that.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

ive never run the JCW. prior to the MX5 i always ran the CRX. and truth be told i think they handle very similarly.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah, no problem. I too agree that the instructions Tamiya includes with the TBLE02 is pretty intimidating.

If you ever plan on upgrading to brushless motors and also upgrading your ESC and just need a simple stock one, I recommend the Hobbywing JustStock XR10 and the program card. It is extremely easy to use and the one big benefit I like is (this is if you use reverse) I can tap brake several times before it locks into Reverse unlike Tamiya ESC's where you only get one brake before it jams into reverse.

On my private track I use reverse on occasion since it's usually only me and my kid driving at the same time.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Your lucky having your own track i got my mini for building it mostly i have nowhere to run it other than my house i also have 2 kyosho mad force one part truck with a non runing gs-21 engine and one im trying (and failing) to fix with a gx-21 engine then i also have a hpi rush evo that im trying to fix too having issues with the steering servo saver bit unclipping and stopping it steering
Iv just seen the M-05 ver.ll pro chassis kit that i like the llook of
Old 04-04-2016, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Your lucky having your own track i got my mini for building it mostly i have nowhere to run it other than my house i also have 2 kyosho mad force one part truck with a non runing gs-21 engine and one im trying (and failing) to fix with a gx-21 engine then i also have a hpi rush evo that im trying to fix too having issues with the steering servo saver bit unclipping and stopping it steering
Iv just seen the M-05 ver.ll pro chassis kit that i like the llook of
Yep, I use to race these long time ago at local parking lot races along with my TC's, but these days I just drive them around for fun. My track is like a touge (canyon road) kind of mini road course track. It's a lot of fun driving it and I don't have to worry about others crashing into my car... well, just as long as my kid isn't driving with me.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Nice the best thing i have is my next door neiboughs big drive its the length of my house
Old 04-04-2016, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ive never run the JCW. prior to the MX5 i always ran the CRX. and truth be told i think they handle very similarly.
ah, sorry, ...thought your ran the JCW.
CRX, medium wheelbase.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:44 PM
Tech Regular

Seeing how much I've improved in 2 weeks tells me what I need is laps and stick time. I'm already going to the mini clubs as often as I can so I found another place about an hour away that races gt12 and bought myself a car to race there. Purely to get good at mini racing of course
Old 04-04-2016, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Nice the best thing i have is my next door neiboughs big drive its the length of my house
That should be plenty big for having fun. Get some marker dots if you don't have them already to make your temporary track. Makes it A LOT more fun to drive vs just going back and forth down the street.

Originally Posted by antlockyer
Seeing how much I've improved in 2 weeks tells me what I need is laps and stick time. I'm already going to the mini clubs as often as I can so I found another place about an hour away that races gt12 and bought myself a car to race there. Purely to get good at mini racing of course
Sounds like fun. So you use a stick radio then? That's cool.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:12 PM
Tech Elite

i got my mini for building it mostly i have nowhere to run it other than my house
Jay Im not sure where you are located in the UK, but there is a big following of Mini Racers over there.
You should try and find one of them on one of the lists here on RCTech and find out where they race.
You can learn a lot more and have a lot more fun racing with someone instead of just by yourself!
Old 04-05-2016, 12:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Sounds like fun. So you use a stick radio then? That's cool.
No but I'm probably the only over 40 guy in the UK that doesn't. I'm currently using my KO ex10 from 1996. New car means a new receiver and those 40mhz ones are hard to find here now, plus I'm getting a bit fed up with the giant aerial. "Ant look out you'll have someone's eye out with that".

I'm just trying to decide how much to spend. The DX4C from Spektrum does all I need and I'm sure it's am upgrade to the KO.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by k_bojar
does anyone know if the big bore m-chassis shocks use a standard spring, or does it need a special spring?
While the standard springs fit the big bore shocks, Tamiya have announced in their May release list a set of specific Large Diameter Springs.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:25 AM
Tech Regular

Tamiya have announced that the 21st of May will be the official launch day for the M05 Ver.II R.
RRP 27,864 Yen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.