Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 01-19-2016, 02:59 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Nope. Brand new, or old and cracked, same deal.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Nope. Brand new, or old and cracked, same deal.
Is there alot of debris in the gearbox when you crack it open? have you covered the gap in the motor opening?
Old 01-19-2016, 04:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

wow, that is crazy about the inside of your gearbox. Agreed, has to be a bad bearing which made that shaft turn/wind up and tear up the plastic w/ it.

How often do you guys open the gearbox to lube your metal bearings?
I hate doing it because I feel that everytime I take apart my chassis the screws aren't going to sit as tightly as the previous ...you know how if you keep removing screws from plastic and screwing back in eventually the seal is becomes loose. But with that said, I take my chassis apart to check and re-lube everything about once every other month (but I also get about 6 races in between and another 4 practice sessions in). I do replace my chassis every year though, ...at least I did w/ the M05 VI ...my V2 only has one race season on it so far. I'll probably change the chassis out sometime this coming season ...just because the plastic gets a bit weak. ...especially around the area where the steering screws go in. But chassis are cheap.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eR1c

I hate doing it because I feel that everytime I take apart my chassis the screws aren't going to sit as tightly as the previous ...you know how if you keep removing screws from plastic and screwing back in eventually the seal is becomes loose. But with that said, I take my chassis apart to check and re-lube everything about once every other month (but I also get about 6 races in between and another 4 practice sessions in). I do replace my chassis every year though, ...at least I did w/ the M05 VI ...my V2 only has one race season on it so far. I'll probably change the chassis out sometime this coming season ...just because the plastic gets a bit weak. ...especially around the area where the steering screws go in. But chassis are cheap.
Yeah, I am experiencing the same thing. I'm using more longer screws as the screw holes are getting worn out each time.. I don't crank the screws on all that tight either. I have two more V2 chassis (just the black plastic pieces, not the entire car) in-house so it should last me a while.

The ceramic bearings monkeyracing mentioned is a good idea for sure though. But I have too many regular metal bearings at the moment.. in brighter news, pizza for dinner.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:14 PM
Tech Elite

Placed order for new Tamiya Rover Mini body to replace the crushed one, and spare parts to replenish the hinge parts. Was not expecting to crash today..
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-fak-cr.jpg  
Old 01-20-2016, 06:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Relubing bearings? what, you people do that? lol I haven't done it in a very long time (years) and haven't had an issue. Jim I am yet to experience that with the Ver 2, I hope it doesn't happen! I haven't done any checking to see how much side to side slop the gears have in the Ver 2 box yet. And really, I doubt I will, I just love dumping the mini on the track and it driving well

With bearings, I have always run the cheapest crappiest bearings, always bought two sets so I have a full set of spares, and when I was racing TCS etc, I used a harmonic cleaner with some solution to remove the grease from the bearing and used a drop of Elf high speed bearing oil. Then replaced as necessary.

I remember the days of having a long line of bearings on your table after every race, making sure you had the smoothest drivetrain. It was the only way to extract more speed from a M03, F201 or TT01 at the TCS (well after magnet zapping and dyno about 40 motors too....) Oh how times have changed. Couldn't care less now lol. The motor tuners, comm lathes, comm drops.... battery equalizers.... battery zappers..... Now its a single BL motor, batteries that I got second hand 2 years ago, and relaxing and talking to friends in between rounds! The Lipo technology is amazing!

I LOVE RC these days!
Old 01-20-2016, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Metal bearings need relube from time to time. Sealed bearings not so much. But a champ like you already knew that.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:42 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Here's something a little weird I'd forgotten about. Last weekend, a friend who works at an RC shop was looking up info on the new version of the m05. It was a weird, as the webpage he was on mentioned carbon upper and lower decks, among many, many other features.

I wouldn't get too excited, however, (I'm looking at you, Sakadachi) as most of it was probably just space filler text.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just a note to keep in mind, the V2 chassis requires a spacer on the gear shaft. This spacer is included with the aluminum motor mount (54609), but not the chassis parts. This may be the cause of the lateral movement of the gears on some people's cars if they upgraded just the plastic chassis parts.

Note the spacer in the top of the (poorly) scanned instructions below:
https://fiveeight0sixsix.files.wordp...structions.jpg
Old 01-20-2016, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Here's something a little weird I'd forgotten about. Last weekend, a friend who works at an RC shop was looking up info on the new version of the m05. It was a weird, as the webpage he was on mentioned carbon upper and lower decks, among many, many other features.

I wouldn't get too excited, however, (I'm looking at you, Sakadachi) as most of it was probably just space filler text.
thanks for looking out for me. I'll keep my sanity until the carbon fiber decks are true. Perhaps they are going to add carbon content to strengthen the plastic chassis?

But if they are going to offer carbon fiber decks, then I will purchase one for certain.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default M03 Stock Mini Challenge - Update

Originally Posted by elecsual
M03 Stock Mini Challenge:
I decided to take up Ivan’s M03 Stock Mini Challenge using an old car and spare parts from mine and Adam's parts collections. I was given an old, well used M03S to work with. It had:
-bearings
-M03 C-Hubs
-M05 Aluminum Steering Blocks
-CVD axels
-Aluminum Yeah Racing shocks (that were built wrong)
-half worn S-Grip fronts with CA edges and M-Grip rears
-used Poche 911 short wheel base body.
Everything else was stock.

Modifications:
-M05 plastic C-Hubs on the car to make the suspension work. I didn’t have M03 Steering Blocks so might as well use the aluminum parts.
-Rebuilt the shocks with 3 hole pistons, 35W red front, and 30 blue rear all 57mm. This was the shortest I could go with the misc spacers I had. Was going for 55mm overall length.
-Dropped the ride height as far as I could. Its around 5mm-ish.
-1205grams race ready
-I added 2 shims to the diff, MR Style.
-Added the WCICS Orca 2200kV and Hobbywing Justock ESC. Speed control got shoved in the tail section.
-Front toe is about 1 degree.
-4000mah round pack.
-Added a zip tie around the servo saver to tighten it up.
-Added heat shrink to the servo horn screws to make the links smooth.
-Replaced the worn ball cups at the steering blocks.
Now to race it this weekend and see how it goes. I'm betting its a solid car that will allow whoever drives it to get their best results. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by elecsual
Now to race it this weekend and see how it goes. I'm betting its a solid car that will allow whoever drives it to get their best results. I'm looking forward to it.

-Added a zip tie around the servo saver to tighten it up.
Your no longer allowed to associate with Ivan.... He used zip ties to hold the rear suspension on his mod tc....
Old 01-20-2016, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

I thought I saw more zip ties used on the front end too on Ivan's winning M03.

Most of us carry duct tape, but Ivan carries zip ties.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sakadachi
I thought I saw more zip ties used on the front end too on Ivan's winning M03.

Most of us carry duct tape, but Ivan carries zip ties.
Duct tape is for the bodies lol. Nice way to add front end weight! lol
Old 01-20-2016, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by axle182
Duct tape is for the bodies lol. Nice way to add front end weight! lol

I also like those trailers you guys built out of coke cans lol.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.