Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 11-16-2015, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Almost box stock M03M race report

Almost box stock M03 race report.

Again only upgrades on a M03M are bearings, one extra washer on each side of the gear diff and Sgrip front tires.

HRPT (Scott) and Matt (3rd and 4th on that drivers stand picture) were seeded 1 and 2 after 4 rounds of qualifying. We were on 5 rolls of carpet (80x60 feet track). I think fast lap was 16 seconds. Those 2 were on a league of their own with a field just under 30 cars.

I was 5th after qualifying and from 3rd to 6th we where all pretty much equal speeds about 16.5 seconds fast lap. Finals ended up 5th with some super close racing between us 4 slower guys. Super fun and that's what it's all about for me.

I tried to convince HRPT and Matt to run a box stock mini but they looked at me like I was crazy.......these competitive folks. Lol.

Negative handling characteristics: severe off power understeer. The kit Swift body sucks. Top heavy and I seem to end up on bad side of any racing "incident". Damn funny though.

Positive handling characteristics: everything else. Also it's helping me work on trigger finger drag braking and timing corners a little different than I'm use to.

On a side note, I showed up an hour before the event (195 entries across 9 classes which I only ran 7) started with no track time and I had 12th scale modified qualifying back to back right after mini qualifying. It's quite interesting driving the fastest class right after the slowest class with 2-3 minutes between heats. Also ran my box stock TT01 in the "USGT-type class" with almost a 30 deep field also. Still 0.4 seconds slower than the fastest car that ran 15.0 second laps but almost came in second if not for getting taken out and then waiting on getting corner marshalled on the last lap by a faster car I was holding off for more than half the race and letting 2 cars by. Wasn't angry at all but laughing with my competitor by us having a great battle and that was more important to me.

I plan on driving this mini (and my TT01) for the rest of the season. It's loads of fun racing so closely with at least half the field! I challenge some of the faster mini guys at their club to try it!

Ivan
Old 11-16-2015, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Good job, Ivan! It's fantastic reading about how you are doing so well with an intentional basic car setup. I think it gives hope to those folks that may not have the funds to do all the latest and greatest mods.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:31 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

What this proves yet again is that myth of the $1200 mini is bunk and the guys perpetuating it can get stuffed.

It should be noted that those who keep on telling the tale of the $1200 mini are raging, obsessed gear whores, with colour coordinated chargers, power supplies, radio, pit lamps, tools, chairs, pit towels, paint jobs on their cars and, most likely, underpants.

Ivan, you are the king! (Or presidential, in any case.)
Old 11-16-2015, 01:06 PM
Tech Elite

Ivan- Forgot to ask, if you don't mind sharing, what electronics are you running with your current M03M setup?
Old 11-16-2015, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I wish I was there Ivan! Your next step should be put on the cheap plastic CVA shocks and set them up correctly with limiters and preload etc. When you can start to manipulate the weight transfer you will cure that understeer. I saw a Swift body at PM the other day.... $60.... sign me up for 5.... not.

Stock M03, bearings, S grip tires and CVA shocks...
Old 11-16-2015, 01:39 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by MatsNorway
Whats the hottest battery right now? stick battery. I need for high amp running. (Actually for an TL-01)

And where can i buy it online?

Edit: im assuming these until further notice.. I also assume they fit!
http://cs-shop.de/ANTIX-by-LRP-4800-...Dean-Stecker_1
anyone?
Old 11-16-2015, 01:55 PM
Tech Master

anyone?
Round packs are dying off. I currently run Peak batteries. Similar numbers, probably similar performance.

The guys I am running against are taking advantage of 100C square packs, which can take full advantage of the unrestricted 21.5 motor rule on the west coast.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

Ivan's M03 Setup:

- 5 year old round pack w/ original Tamiya connector
- 5 year old orca spec motor
- FM radio
- lots of zip ties and super glue
- rusted ball diff
- Raman Noodle wrappers

LoL

It's an unbeatable setup!
Old 11-16-2015, 02:25 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by (0000000000)
Round packs are dying off. I currently run Peak batteries. Similar numbers, probably similar performance.
Where can i get them? I really need the amps. Im not running 21.5T etc.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:54 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Where can i get them? I really need the amps. Im not running 21.5T etc.
How about these? Cheap, rounded, good quality, available. And if you think there's any way you'll need 100c out of a battery in a mini, you're crazy.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ick_Pack_.html

This pack will put out 168A continuous and 336A peak. Way more than enough. Running 13T systems, some guys in Australia did a little data-logging and found they were peaking at 35A.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
How about these? Cheap, rounded, good quality, available. And if you think there's any way you'll need 100c out of a battery in a mini, you're crazy.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ick_Pack_.html

This pack will put out 168A continuous and 336A peak. Way more than enough. Running 13T systems, some guys in Australia did a little data-logging and found they were peaking at 35A.
And they LAST.... fantastic battery. After years of abuse, mine never puffed or did anything other than perform well, something I cant say for more pricier brands like Orca.....
Old 11-16-2015, 03:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Good job, Ivan! It's fantastic reading about how you are doing so well with an intentional basic car setup. I think it gives hope to those folks that may not have the funds to do all the latest and greatest mods.
What this proves yet again is that myth of the $1200 mini is bunk and the guys perpetuating it can get stuffed.

It should be noted that those who keep on telling the tale of the $1200 mini are raging, obsessed gear whores, with colour coordinated chargers, power supplies, radio, pit lamps, tools, chairs, pit towels, paint jobs on their cars and, most likely, underpants.

Ivan summed up a pretty fun weekend. It started out looking dismal as I forgot the bodies for all my cars back in Calgary so I couldn't run any practice laps until Ivan showed up Saturday AM. The track was huge and was challenging - the Friday night practice would have helped.

I earned the TQ in mini but was lucky in taking the win due to a first corner f-up that put me in 6th off the start. At some point in the race, Ivan let me by pretty easy so I could catch the leaders. He could have held me up, but that is not his style - thanks!

Unlike Ivan, I was running my M05 V2, with my normal setup that AJ posted earlier. Matt's car was almost identical to mine. We were 0.5 seconds a lap ahead of the rest of the field, most of them M05's (V2's and originals) and at least one M03.

Now everyone that we race with will agree that Ivan is a better driver than me, so basically an upgraded M05 V2 (shocks, diff, camber, droop and ride height adjustment, swaybar) is worth, at minimum, a half second a lap over a stock M03 kit set up by a former WCICS mini champion (albeit a modest one).

That half second is huge - in this case about a lap over the race duration.

So to those saying you can't buy speed, well, unfortunately I would argue you can, to a degree. You still need to be somewhat competent behind the wheel, but the design evolution and available hop-ups do count for something. About a half second a lap this last weekend.

Old 11-16-2015, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

hprt- You guys out there in Canada definitely know how to race with fun in mind!
Congrats on the TQ and win.

Turnigy batteries have been good to me too. No puffing at all on any of my 2S Lipo's.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Who's got experience with the aluminum rear toe block and running inboard toe as opposed to 2˚ in the rear hubs?
Old 11-16-2015, 10:23 PM
Tech Elite

Ivan- Forgot to ask, if you don't mind sharing, what electronics are you running with your current M03M setup?
Thanks Sak. Doing well I would consider having super close competition and having a great time racing which I did.

Just to play devils advocate it think itís fine for anyone to get the latest and greatest in equipment and enjoy this hobby that way too. I never blame equipment when I lose but instead try to figure out how else better I can drive or possibly try a new setup to get better results. I also look at driving consistency: Top 15 or 20 average laps and subtract the fast lap. Goal for a beginner should be under 0.3 sec, intermediate I think 0.2 is good and 0.1 is usually my goal. If I can do that consistently, then Iíll get new stuff.

We run the spec Orca Spark ESC and Orca 2200kv motor combo up here in Western Canada. Servo Iím using savox 1251. Battery peak racing 4200 rocket packs. I think thatís it. We have a pretty good rule with Tamiya tires only and any non-TC-body intended for the Mini chassis. I think almost everyone runs the Sgrips. Personally I think the kit tires are awesome in the back. Helps the car rotate especially in my situation. The M03 can run crappier front tires better than the M05 can. Once the tread goes in an M05, the steering starts sucking. For bodies I donít think personally it makes any difference but thatís speaking from a limited experience of 3 bodies: civic, truck and swift. The only non handling comment I can make about bodies is the civic and truck body land back on all 4 tires more easily than the top heavy swift body. I donít suggest hacking anyone with the Swift body cause youíll pay for it on your lid or side waiting to get corner marshaled.

Originally Posted by axle182
I wish I was there Ivan! Your next step should be put on the cheap plastic CVA shocks and set them up correctly with limiters and preload etc. When you can start to manipulate the weight transfer you will cure that understeer. I saw a Swift body at PM the other day.... $60.... sign me up for 5.... not.

Stock M03, bearings, S grip tires and CVA shocks...
No. I know I can drive this car better. Considering this is the slowest class we run yet I canít hit all my lines correctly, so thereís room for improvement. To be honest with myself, the car is still better than the driver.

Originally Posted by (0000000000)
Ivan's M03 Setup:

- 5 year old round pack w/ original Tamiya connector
- 5 year old orca spec motor
- FM radio
- lots of zip ties and super glue
- rusted ball diff
- Raman Noodle wrappers

LoL

It's an unbeatable setup!
HAHAHA!!! Thatís in my good M03 setup but I use Deans Plugs.

Originally Posted by hprt
Ivan summed up a pretty fun weekend. It started out looking dismal as I forgot the bodies for all my cars back in Calgary so I couldn't run any practice laps until Ivan showed up Saturday AM. The track was huge and was challenging - the Friday night practice would have helped.

I earned the TQ in mini but was lucky in taking the win due to a first corner f-up that put me in 6th off the start. At some point in the race, Ivan let me by pretty easy so I could catch the leaders. He could have held me up, but that is not his style - thanks!

Unlike Ivan, I was running my M05 V2, with my normal setup that AJ posted earlier. Matt's car was almost identical to mine. We were 0.5 seconds a lap ahead of the rest of the field, most of them M05's (V2's and originals) and at least one M03.

Now everyone that we race with will agree that Ivan is a better driver than me, so basically an upgraded M05 V2 (shocks, diff, camber, droop and ride height adjustment, swaybar) is worth, at minimum, a half second a lap over a stock M03 kit set up by a former WCICS mini champion (albeit a modest one).

That half second is huge - in this case about a lap over the race duration.

So to those saying you can't buy speed, well, unfortunately I would argue you can, to a degree. You still need to be somewhat competent behind the wheel, but the design evolution and available hop-ups do count for something. About a half second a lap this last weekend.

To kind Scott. Youíre just lucky I always show up to this race Saturday mornings. Only a 3 hour drive and save a night on hotel. Considering the amount of classes I run, I get probably more than twice the track time of anyone even though I donít show up for the open practice Fridays.

You actually kinda pulled the same thing in the largest and most competitive Stock Touring Car class and the USGT class. For TC, your 417 is actually older than my ARC and I think you would have made the A main if not for a screw coming loose in the middle of the last chance qualifier. I was lucky to get into the show that was made up of 4 Awesomatix, 4 Xrays, a Serpent and my Generation 1 ARC. For USGT, you also did very well with your TT01 making the show. You just need to give it a try in Mini!!!

Ivan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.