Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 11-12-2015, 01:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Can anyone tell me the diameter of the solaris mini tyres?

I am cuurently running sweeps but they're 55mm so I lose alot of speed compared to the tamiya's I was running before, but switched to them because I like their level of grip.

Also which solaris would be goor for indoor fairly high grip because there is a choice between hard, medium and soft inserts?

Thanks
Old 11-12-2015, 01:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

So as you have pointed out, you don't know mini racing on carpet. Its the same as why I don't comment on asphalt setups, I don't run it, and my advice would be a COMPLETE waste of time for someone wanting advice.

There is two clear options here. We can all let you post your comments, in direct reply to someone's question and not correct you, even tho we all know the suggestion is wrong and will waste the OP's time. Or we can speak up and set him on the right track, so he actually makes changes to his car, that will help his situation.

I choose the second option. Grandpa was a fantastic poster on this forum, and I can guess why he isn't on here lately, its tiresome to argue with someone, who wont understand when they are wrong. I explained that, as in your words, you don't have experience with mini racing on carpet. So why are you commenting on it? I do, as do many others, and we have also tried everything you have currently suggested, and made matters worse. So its up to you. If you want people to be MORE frustrated by following your suggestions, or would you rather let people with more experience in the direct situation dispense the advice? I can argue with you about droop, or you could actually give it a try on carpet on a race track, realize you were incorrect, learn, and then give people advice as to what actually DOES work on carpet. I have already tried it, for years.... and yes droop will definitely make the car grip roll if the droop is not under control.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by axle182
Remember where I said I qualified 2nd, that's cause you had the pole position.... Do you know how hard it is, to be laughing your head off on the stand, while trying to keep the lead on the first lap???? And hearing you scream "DOH!!" when your car broke hahahaha Ahh the memories
Lesson learned. In the future, separate from the pack firstÖ.then mess you up.

Originally Posted by sakadachi
How is your latest M03 setup doing and are you now using drag braking? Any difference in overall lap time?
I always liked blasting down to the very end of the track then using my brakes before the hairpins.
So esc drag brake I canít make it work. Iím out of setup ideas. Still not bad with only 2 extra washers to the front stock diff and Sgrip front tires only. Only 0.2 Ė 0.3 seconds off fast guys on a 9 second track (80 feet by 36 feet). Not going to blame the car but instead going to try to change driving styles. Instead of like driving a mod car and hitting the corners hard brakes and power my way out of the corners, Iím gonna try light brakes into the corner while keeping up corner speed. I think thatís the ticket and will help me improve on my overall driving. It's just hitting the right timing thing now.

Got a big regional (WCICS Edmonton) race this weekend on 5 rolls of Ozite (80 feet by 60 feet I believe) so will be perfect to test turning on high speed corners. The current setup ďhas toĒ work as Iíll be running 8 of 9 classes offered so the track better come to my setup and not the other way around!

Will report back after,

Ivan
Old 11-12-2015, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So as you have pointed out, you don't know mini racing on carpet. Its the same as why I don't comment on asphalt setups, I don't run it, and my advice would be a COMPLETE waste of time for someone wanting advice.

There is two clear options here. We can all let you post your comments, in direct reply to someone's question and not correct you, even tho we all know the suggestion is wrong and will waste the OP's time. Or we can speak up and set him on the right track, so he actually makes changes to his car, that will help his situation.

I choose the second option. Grandpa was a fantastic poster on this forum, and I can guess why he isn't on here lately, its tiresome to argue with someone, who wont understand when they are wrong. I explained that, as in your words, you don't have experience with mini racing on carpet. So why are you commenting on it? I do, as do many others, and we have also tried everything you have currently suggested, and made matters worse. So its up to you. If you want people to be MORE frustrated by following your suggestions, or would you rather let people with more experience in the direct situation dispense the advice? I can argue with you about droop, or you could actually give it a try on carpet on a race track, realize you were incorrect, learn, and then give people advice as to what actually DOES work on carpet. I have already tried it, for years.... and yes droop will definitely make the car grip roll if the droop is not under control.
Yeah, you're right. I only have limited experience with m-chassis on Ozite since no one in my current area had m-chassis at the time, but I have raced carpet with my TC and pancar before my break. Before that, I was racing on asphalt and concrete frequently.

Paragon was the choice in tire sauce back then and I could even traction roll my pancars if I wanted to. I used CA on the front sidewalls, etc the tricks you folks talk about here to limit traction. I suppose m-chassis setup is quite different from TC, but droop did not directly translate to traction rolls. Other factors had much bigger effect.

The sole reason why I quit RC was because I never really liked racing my RC on carpet. Just did not feel natural to me especially since I mod real cars and like to be outdoors on the asphalt. Point taken though, I'll shut up on anything carpet.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Race technology changes so quick. Only a few years ago I was running a completely different setup on my 415 MRE, to what I now run on my 417 raceberry car. Its always apples to oranges.

In mini a few years back, id always put harder springs on the front, than the rear. The car was so easy to drive. It wasn't until someone here spanked me with a soft front spring setup (thanks scotty! HPRT) That setup is now the norm up here. He was cool enough to share his setup, and the setup I share here is basically the same as what he shared with me a year ago, so I definitely will not take any credit for it. I just waste more time at work on here than he does
Old 11-12-2015, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BoneCrusher
So esc drag brake I can’t make it work. I’m out of setup ideas. Still not bad with only 2 extra washers to the front stock diff and Sgrip front tires only. Only 0.2 – 0.3 seconds off fast guys on a 9 second track (80 feet by 36 feet). Not going to blame the car but instead going to try to change driving styles. Instead of like driving a mod car and hitting the corners hard brakes and power my way out of the corners, I’m gonna try light brakes into the corner while keeping up corner speed. I think that’s the ticket and will help me improve on my overall driving. It's just hitting the right timing thing now.

Got a big regional (WCICS Edmonton) race this weekend on 5 rolls of Ozite (80 feet by 60 feet I believe) so will be perfect to test turning on high speed corners. The current setup “has to” work as I’ll be running 8 of 9 classes offered so the track better come to my setup and not the other way around!

Will report back after,

Ivan
I see on trying the drag brake...but good to hear you tried it. And only 0.2-0.3sec from the leaders that is some amazing driving you are doing vs fully hopped up cars!

So you're running SGrips on the front and the standard m-chassis radials on the rear? That's exactly my setup if that's the case on all my FWD m-chassis. (not that it matters on carpet <= my disclaimer )

Good luck at the regional and hope your new driving style works for ya.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sleenad
Can anyone tell me the diameter of the solaris mini tyres?

I am cuurently running sweeps but they're 55mm so I lose alot of speed compared to the tamiya's I was running before, but switched to them because I like their level of grip.

Also which solaris would be goor for indoor fairly high grip because there is a choice between hard, medium and soft inserts?

Thanks
I was only able to find a few pictures, but it almost appears 55mm in terms of sidewall height similar to the Sweeps.

http://www.t2shop.de/WebRoot/Store19...8/IMG_0958.JPG

Anyone with info to help sleenad?
Old 11-12-2015, 02:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BoneCrusher
So esc drag brake I canít make it work. Iím out of setup ideas.
Do you mean you can't set drag brake in the ESC, or that you can, but it doesn't suit your driving style?
Old 11-12-2015, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by howardcano
Do you mean you can't set drag brake in the ESC, or that you can, but it doesn't suit your driving style?
Hes running friction shocks, so the lack of good cornering grip, he is trying to compensate with drag brake to keep the corners tight. If your more than half a foot from the board on our track, you get left for dead. So hes saying hes out of ideas. Ivan has been proving that you don't need to spend big on upgrades to win, but I think he should put on the plastic CVA shocks, that would probably resolve the issue.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Hes running friction shocks, so the lack of good cornering grip, he is trying to compensate with drag brake to keep the corners tight. If your more than half a foot from the board on our track, you get left for dead. So hes saying hes out of ideas. Ivan has been proving that you don't need to spend big on upgrades to win, but I think he should put on the plastic CVA shocks, that would probably resolve the issue.
Okay, I was just curious that maybe the "feel" was wrong. Whenever I run drag brake, I don't do it with the ESC programming, I use the throttle trim since I've done it that way for many decades; it feels better, and smoother to me.

I had an M03 that also had the friction dampers. To improve the handling, I completely removed the springs and inserted small foam rubber "pucks" inside the dampers to serve as both spring and damper. It was a big improvement (but not as good as oil dampers, of course). And the old mouse pad I used for the pucks was free!
Old 11-12-2015, 03:39 PM
Tech Master

Any info on the preferred 21.5 for mini?

I just got back from a big Canadian race. Put in a Reedy Sonic ii. I figured out the track early on. But with a 25 ft lead on the guys behind me, i found that their D4 and R1 powered cars closed the distance at the end of the sweeper on the long straightaway. Probably 2 thenths of a second I was losing on the backstretch.

I cranked the timing on the motor and burned it up (+180' all weekend long). Suggestions on preferred motor to replace the one i cooked?
Old 11-12-2015, 03:47 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Yes, get those west coast weirdos to run spec motors.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Yes, get those west coast weirdos to run spec motors.
hahaha classic Enjoy the motor wars!!!! lol
Old 11-12-2015, 03:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by howardcano
Okay, I was just curious that maybe the "feel" was wrong. Whenever I run drag brake, I don't do it with the ESC programming, I use the throttle trim since I've done it that way for many decades; it feels better, and smoother to me.

I had an M03 that also had the friction dampers. To improve the handling, I completely removed the springs and inserted small foam rubber "pucks" inside the dampers to serve as both spring and damper. It was a big improvement (but not as good as oil dampers, of course). And the old mouse pad I used for the pucks was free!
Yeah I said to him that the CVA shocks really isn't an upgrade, its what the M03's should have come with in the first place so it still works within what hes trying to achieve, but he wants to run it as it came out of the box, well very closely. He is very right in the point he is trying to make, you can build a stock plastic mini and win. If he adds the CVA shocks he will, I guarantee it. But hes stubborn..... hes already surprised a lot of people with the performance of a stock mini.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:39 PM
Tech Master

Its not truly stock until Ivan put in those white plastic bearings!

LoL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.