Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 07-25-2015, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ended up using a staple and made it into a ring (shim) for the right post.
installed, no more binding.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/members/...re31738-v2.jpg
Old 07-26-2015, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

On your 21.5t brushless, how much advance timing are you usually running on your M05's and V2? I have a Reedy Sonic Mach2 and it's so slow unless I advance it all the way.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sakadachi
On your 21.5t brushless, how much advance timing are you usually running on your M05's and V2? I have a Reedy Sonic Mach2 and it's so slow unless I advance it all the way.
It's still pretty slow even when you advance it to the stop. If you loosen the screws enough you can get it to jump the stop. It's been awhile, but I don't think a Sonic is worth much until the timing is 55 or better. The Mach 2 was even slower than the Mach1 or the original Sonic.

For pure speed, the R1 is the best. Let me qualify that opinion in that I normally run on a much larger track than you do. On a smaller tighter track, the Thunderpower might be better, but don't know for sure.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Granpa
It's still pretty slow even when you advance it to the stop. If you loosen the screws enough you can get it to jump the stop. It's been awhile, but I don't think a Sonic is worth much until the timing is 55 or better. The Mach 2 was even slower than the Mach1 or the original Sonic.

For pure speed, the R1 is the best. Let me qualify that opinion in that I normally run on a much larger track than you do. On a smaller tighter track, the Thunderpower might be better, but don't know for sure.
Thanks for the input. I will check out info on the Thunderpower.

I should look into getting a good ESC and R1 for outdoor use maybe for next year.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

Hope you guys had a good weekend.

Just for kicks, my son and I assembled my newly acquired M05 last night with no hop-ups, not even bearings. (This is the kit where I just wanted the MonteCarlo Mini body). I don't remember the last time I made an on-road kit with no hopups. Took it out for a spin. SR410 receiver (Spektrum), and a S9405 analog Futaba servo I had. For the most part the car drove decently.

Car was bouncy. It gave me sort of a mild dizziness watching the roof bounce around while driving. Also tracking problems. Car tracks straight 90% of the time, but tends to drift to the left often due to the weight imbalance and soft springs (not to forget the servo saver). And finally, accelerating out of the corner took finesse on the throttle in order to pick up decent speed.

All things we sort of take for granted once our cars are dialed in. I'm going to keep this chassis the way it is as a reminder and let my kid use it. I should be getting my M03 a-parts (chassis) this week. Going to clean up my M03, put my Futaba electronics on it and dial in the suspension some more.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Well TGR ran the Wounded Warriors Race this past weekend down at Johns Mobile RC in Glen Burnie, MD,
They are a great bunch of people with a great facility!
If you can ever get down there to race with them, do it! Its really worth the trip!!!

Anyway I ran mini exclusivly and Golddust ran Mini and 21.5 TC
We did pretty well with minor changes to the setups, had to change our suspension
around to accomodate the different track conditions, man was it hot and sunny!!!
Anway we had really good speed on the straightways but It seemed like I was loosing
speed on the chacanes and curves. I believe that this is a result from two things
My Driving Skills (UGH!) need to improve cornering practice but I think that since we were
running a gear diff that was close to locked, this is where part of the problem is
So back to the drawing board and over to the shop for two new sets of tires!
Man this gets expensive,
But its Ohhhh Soooo Much Fun!!!!
Old 07-27-2015, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
Well TGR ran the Wounded Warriors Race this past weekend down at Johns Mobile RC in Glen Burnie, MD,
They are a great bunch of people with a great facility!
If you can ever get down there to race with them, do it! Its really worth the trip!!!

Anyway I ran mini exclusivly and Golddust ran Mini and 21.5 TC
We did pretty well with minor changes to the setups, had to change our suspension
around to accomodate the different track conditions, man was it hot and sunny!!!
Anway we had really good speed on the straightways but It seemed like I was loosing
speed on the chacanes and curves. I believe that this is a result from two things
My Driving Skills (UGH!) need to improve cornering practice but I think that since we were
running a gear diff that was close to locked, this is where part of the problem is
So back to the drawing board and over to the shop for two new sets of tires!
Man this gets expensive,
But its Ohhhh Soooo Much Fun!!!!
Chicanes are all about timing and coming as close going thru it in a straight line as possible. Never try to go thru it faster than your timing allows. With experience your timing will get faster.

Corner speed is 80% or more a function of set up. If they are getting thru the corners quicker, more than likely it has a lot to do with set up. It could also be tires.

I've got some tires you might be able to use so PM me your address and i'll see if I can get them out to you n a couple of weeks
Old 07-27-2015, 12:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Thanks for the input. I will check out info on the Thunderpower.

I should look into getting a good ESC and R1 for outdoor use maybe for next year.
On one of my spare M05 V1 Mini Cooper's I ran a Novak Edge ESC w/ a Thunderpower 21.5 w/ HT blue rotor. Timing was at 35 degrees. Peak 45c Sport 2s lipo.
The car was an absolute torque monster. I race on a smaller indoor carpet (high grip) track (CRC Raceway- Rome, NY). I personally never raced the car, but loaned it out to a few different people thruout last fall/winter and the car won a few times.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hispeedguy
On one of my spare M05 V1 Mini Cooper's I ran a Novak Edge ESC w/ a Thunderpower 21.5 w/ HT blue rotor. Timing was at 35 degrees. Peak 45c Sport 2s lipo.
The car was an absolute torque monster. I race on a smaller indoor carpet (high grip) track (CRC Raceway- Rome, NY). I personally never raced the car, but loaned it out to a few different people thruout last fall/winter and the car won a few times.
Thanks for the info on the motor! I will check this out. 35degrees is more inline with what my TBLE02 can handle. Plus, I use that exact Peak lipo.

Thanks for the info on the ESC as well. I was looking at that exact ESC the other day. It's too late for this season, but maybe next season I will start racing again off and on (USGT and Mini).
Old 07-27-2015, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Questions??

Originally Posted by Granpa
Chicanes are all about timing and coming as close going thru it in a straight line as possible. Never try to go thru it faster than your timing allows. With experience your timing will get faster.

Corner speed is 80% or more a function of set up. If they are getting thru the corners quicker, more than likely it has a lot to do with set up. It could also be tires.
Believe me I know, especially maintaining your clean cornering is essencial
and that is one of my biggest problems. Ive had several people tell me
that I really need to practice more and my problem with that is time
As for the tires, wear seemed to be a big problem because of the track temperature and we were running fast!!!They seemed to have worn equally
so I don't think there is a toe/balance problem.
Im almost positive that we'll be doing the Jackson TCS This weekend
so this will be a real test!!!

Stay Tuned to the Mini Channel for more TGR news!!!
Old 07-28-2015, 11:59 PM
Tech Elite

Just got a PM from a try good TCS racer. It was on a different subject, but from what he said, this is going to be a very good time to enter the Finals

The "local" advantage will be very small or nonexistent. Sensible tire rules and no gimmicky "Fred" ;curves. Now, if he can stay away from screwing up the track layout, this should be a great Finals. The track has been newly resurfaced. No don't run there cause there's a bump, etc.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:45 AM
Tech Adept

I just unboxed the brand new Tamiya MF01X, looking good!

Old 07-29-2015, 12:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
Believe me I know, especially maintaining your clean cornering is essencial
and that is one of my biggest problems. Ive had several people tell me
that I really need to practice more and my problem with that is time
As for the tires, wear seemed to be a big problem because of the track temperature and we were running fast!!!They seemed to have worn equally
so I don't think there is a toe/balance problem.
Im almost positive that we'll be doing the Jackson TCS This weekend
so this will be a real test!!!

Stay Tuned to the Mini Channel for more TGR news!!!
Just curious. Did you get a 'death groove ' on your tires. I'm away right now so I can't post pics but I was at the airport cat park and the inside edge of the tires finally wore through about 45% of the total inside diameter of the tire lol. Was curious to see how your tires wore from racing??

On the servo topic sakadachi....my receiver has a stack of 4 being 3 pins wide with no key slot. Black wire goes in the right side for every connector....towards front of vehicle. I still have the paper work for all of my stuff in a little mobile 'pit kit' which I'm happy to say I just acquired a small Pringle can for my wheels Granpa lol. There are 4 slots (high) designated to different actions. I'll post my options for a servo that I'm looking at before I make a purchase. I just switched it out with the spare that came with the receiver so I have some time with it still.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

As long as you connect the 3 wires correctly to your receiver, your servo should work just fine.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Thaan
I just unboxed the brand new Tamiya MF01X, looking good!
Got mine yesterday and built in in a few hours. Glad I ordered the bearings at the same time. Fun car! Working on the body today. FYI there is a separate thread on the MF01X.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.