Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 07-18-2015, 10:27 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
Yeah, the irony.

As a moderator I think you should be more careful. You chastised me for some pretty benign posts (I called some people Tamiya fanboys - which they gladly admit they are) without taking the bother to read the open insults and name calling I was answering and the malignant posts directed at me. Not only once.

I challenge you to show us here where I insulted anyone.
I'm not a moderator, you're mistaking me with someone else.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Setup Question

While I'm patiently waiting for Sakadachi to post up a video of him wheeling his Mini in his basement track and reading the non-Mini related (yet entertaining) posts, thought I'd ask a setup question for the more experience guys about your opinions as I'm not sure if it actually works this way or not but thought it did when I had my M05.

So from personal experience and owning both an M03 and M05(v1), I find that the M03 has more punch out of the corners due to the fact that there is more weight up front on top of the front wheels but find that the M05 can turn into and rotate thru the corner better maybe due to it having better lower CoG. So to somewhat help my M05 have more punch on straight acceleration and punch out of the corners, I decided to use the hardest springs (white) in the rear. I think it helped but it was still the one thing I found the M05 inferior to the M03 and that's why I eventually sold it. Monkeyracing posted a picture of my M03 in the past held together with zipties and gorilla tape. It ain't pretty but no one beats me on acceleration that I have raced with maybe due to the fact no one else runs an M03 anymore!

Question:

Is it true that using stiffer springs in the rear can achieve the same effect as reducing front droop by reducing rear weight transfer on acceleration hence increase front grip on power? The assumption is that the rear of the car is already super planted so that I can use stiffest rear springs and not lose too much rear grip.

Hope that makes sense and would like to know what the guys that like tuning think.

Ivan
Old 07-18-2015, 10:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by niznai
Well, what can I say? I found the correct servo setup in a number of manuals. The one I linked above is form an M01/02 manual, but from foggy memory the explanation is present in the Durga manual, and sometimes in supplements or explanations at the back of the manual where there are brief tuning hints. It takes all of 10 seconds to locate these on the internet. It's not like it's a carefully protected secret like say tuning minis.
Yeah I totally agree. But the first time RC builder could easily be led astray by these instructions in the M05 manual as we sore happen to M05 Newbie. You can hardly blame the guy for following the instructions.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BoneCrusher
While I'm patiently waiting for Sakadachi to post up a video of him wheeling his Mini in his basement track and reading the non-Mini related (yet entertaining) posts, thought I'd ask a setup question for the more experience guys about your opinions as I'm not sure if it actually works this way or not but thought it did when I had my M05.

So from personal experience and owning both an M03 and M05(v1), I find that the M03 has more punch out of the corners due to the fact that there is more weight up front on top of the front wheels but find that the M05 can turn into and rotate thru the corner better maybe due to it having better lower CoG. So to somewhat help my M05 have more punch on straight acceleration and punch out of the corners, I decided to use the hardest springs (white) in the rear. I think it helped but it was still the one thing I found the M05 inferior to the M03 and that's why I eventually sold it. Monkeyracing posted a picture of my M03 in the past held together with zipties and gorilla tape. It ain't pretty but no one beats me on acceleration that I have raced with maybe due to the fact no one else runs an M03 anymore!

Question:

Is it true that using stiffer springs in the rear can achieve the same effect as reducing front droop by reducing rear weight transfer on acceleration hence increase front grip on power? The assumption is that the rear of the car is already super planted so that I can use stiffest rear springs and not lose too much rear grip.

Hope that makes sense and would like to know what the guys that like tuning think.

Ivan
Hooohboy, we went through this one a few years back. All of the following is just an opinion and feel free to take exception. Unlike the weight transfer you get on braking, which is considerable, not as much occurs during acceleration. Also that front droop on a front driver is not an important factor.

The amount of rear weight transfer is limited by the front wheels maintaining contact with the racing surface. Even if you have a relatively short shock, the amount of the front end rising is limited more by tire grip than by droop.

Here again just an opinion, but the stiff rear springs are mainly for controlling roll so that the front tires won't roll under on you. And the softer front springs are so that you get enough rear to front weight transfer to maintain your turn in. The stiffer rear springs also help the car rotate through the corner. And yes, though I never thought much about it, it could help in acceleration by limiting the amount of weight transfer. Good point.

From my explanations above, you can see why I favor stiffer rear springs and longer front shocks, not ultra short ones. Also why the springs on the front are always softer than the rears.

Your primary racing surface and mine are different, which may make us have different evaluations of the strengths and weaknesses of the M05 relative to the M03. I've always felt that the primary problem with the M05, on asphalt, was it's lack of corner speed. This was caused primarily due to it's lower COG and it's more rearward weight bias. The faster M05s and the fastest M05 have all had as much weight forward as possible. Once this is done, the 05 can run with the 03. This is on asphalt-----would not know about carpet.

Hope you understand this is just bench racing and comparing ideas. Look forward to your analysis. I love this stuff------some other junk, not so much.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:05 AM
Tech Regular

Can a damaged and untrue rim cause a car to not track straight?

I'm having a terrible time getting my basher mini to track straight. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

It is set up to be mechanically square and at slow speeds it certainly does run straight. But at higher speeds it starts to turn. I have it set up with the 3racing steering and hubs, and the shocks are even left and right.

Using trim on the transmitter doesnt help and only makes the car track more in whatever direction I set it. If I increase the exponential on the Tx the tracking issue is exaggerated.

Cheers
Ryan
Old 07-19-2015, 12:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Too quiet in here. I need to start something. Bonecrusher smells like a goat. Sydewynder has a used wax paper fetish. Granpa is actually a 17 year old kid from Toledo. Tony G's real name is Priscilla. KA2AEV is a Hobbit.

More scandals later if this place stays boring.
Oohh oohh I go away for a couple of weeks and I come back to see this...BTW Mr. Monkeyracing it's used plastic wrap not wax paper......hah
Old 07-19-2015, 12:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by filippimini

I'm having a terrible time getting my basher mini to track straight. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

It is set up to be mechanically square and at slow speeds it certainly does run straight. But at higher speeds it starts to turn. I have it set up with the 3racing steering and hubs, and the shocks are even left and right.

Using trim on the transmitter doesnt help and only makes the car track more in whatever direction I set it. If I increase the exponential on the Tx the tracking issue is exaggerated.

Cheers
Ryan
Check for bad bearings especially on the side it pulls towards
Old 07-19-2015, 12:16 AM
Tech Elite

Cheers
Ryan
That is easily checked by changing the offending/suspected wheel.

But I would agree with the above.
In fact, I would check suspension and steering geometry first (if there wasn't some obvious issue with bearings, e.g. one wheel obviously stuck).

All that said, a crap rim doesn't help anything.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dan
I'm not a moderator, you're mistaking me with someone else.

Please accept my apologies then.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Cheers
Ryan

I would pull the wheel that's giving you problems too
It could be the wheel or the rim too
but really check for a bad bearing on that side!

Now for something completely different
whats the deal with Australian Rules Football?
Old 07-19-2015, 12:45 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
I would pull the wheel that's giving you problems too
It could be the wheel or the rim too
but really check for a bad bearing on that side!

Now for something completely different
whats the deal with Australian Rules Football?
Haha it's a great game.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Haha it's a great game.

Thanks for the advice.
Okay but how many minutes to the game?
I just got done watching the broncos defeat the tigers n got the jist of the ball handling but couldn't figure out the timing
Old 07-19-2015, 01:22 AM
Tech Elite

Cheers
Ryan
Couldn't sleep because of a pinched nerve. Interesting problem. If it is the rim or bearing, it would occur in the same direction. I'd be more inclined to think it's in the steering mechanism itself. Check the linkages and make sure the uprights aren't binding or bent. It could also be a bad servo. Pop the steering rod off, then operate the servo by placing a "load" or resistance to movement on it. Then see if the rod is centered. You want some way of checking cause our eyes would not pick up on the small amount of discrepancy.

Can't understand why expo would make it worse. I'm assuming your talking about negative expo
Old 07-19-2015, 02:03 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Granpa
Can't understand why expo would make it worse. I'm assuming your talking about negative expo
That was my thoughts exactly, although I guess it could exaggerate a bad servo after making a turn.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:04 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
Okay but how many minutes to the game?
I just got done watching the broncos defeat the tigers n got the jist of the ball handling but couldn't figure out the timing
Ah, that's National Rugby League, not Aussie rules. They are two completely different games. AFL is a much better game if you ask me, but NRL is much more popular in the part of Australia I am from.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.