Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 07-16-2015, 12:17 PM
  #24766  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,305
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by M05 newbie
Got it monkey....Thankyou. I have a v1. I was leaning towards a 4500mah and a at least 50c. Can't remember exactly what o was looking at but it was the higher end of the C rating. Anyway to calculate the watts of motor if it's not listed??
Find a smarter guy than me, or buy a dyno? (Cue: Howard Cano)
monkeyracing is offline  
Old 07-16-2015, 12:23 PM
  #24767  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: ontario canada
Posts: 281
Default

Originally Posted by axle182
Newbie, ive used (more like abused!) these for a while now -

4200

I find them fantastic, we have a few drivers with large pockets up here, and I can still beat them with a 2yo 4200, that's been abused badly. Never storage charged, used in a starter box during the summer etc. Ill be buying these again soon, as I ended up selling the two I had at the end of the season.

I would go with what Tony posted, ignore the C rating all together, get a decent Mah size, and find a good deal. So many people say the HK batteries are garbage, they probably don't have one. Ive used them a lot in all kinds of rc, and they all work fantastic.
Who is this Tony guy lol? I think I missed a page
M05 newbie is offline  
Old 07-16-2015, 12:23 PM
  #24768  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,354
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

axle- I use nano-techs too and they have been great.

So what defines a good battery then if discharge rate is not a valid way to compare a battery from another?
Even the weaker pack I have show consistent voltage above 3.8v during the drive.



M05 Newbie- Post #24620 check it out.
sakadachi is offline  
Old 07-16-2015, 12:33 PM
  #24769  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (18)
 
axle182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,785
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by sakadachi
axle- I use nano-techs too and they have been great.

So what defines a good battery then if discharge rate is not a valid way to compare a battery from another?
Even the weaker pack I have show consistent voltage above 3.8v during the drive.



M05 Newbie- Post #24620 check it out.
The reason for stating that I can use old packs to beat new ones, it doesn't matter. There might be cases where a seriously abused pack looses voltage towards the end of a run, but for the most part, any battery will do. That's the message. For me, a good battery is defined by its price. I try to find the nicest deal for around 4-4500mah.

Its funny, they say TC stock is the most battery hungry class, I have been using second hand packs for the last two seasons, and done very well with them. I am a big skeptic, when it comes to "you must spend big to get speed". Don't get me wrong, sometimes its true (17.5 motors for TC for instance)
axle182 is offline  
Old 07-16-2015, 12:38 PM
  #24770  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,354
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by axle182
The reason for stating that I can use old packs to beat new ones, it doesn't matter. There might be cases where a seriously abused pack looses voltage towards the end of a run, but for the most part, any battery will do. That's the message. For me, a good battery is defined by its price. I try to find the nicest deal for around 4-4500mah.

Its funny, they say TC stock is the most battery hungry class, I have been using second hand packs for the last two seasons, and done very well with them. I am a big skeptic, when it comes to "you must spend big to get speed".
Cool, thanks for your insight!!

I'm glad to hear that.
sakadachi is offline  
Old 07-16-2015, 12:42 PM
  #24771  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
eR1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,479
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

That's a really good motor combo and I've run it extensively. Now these are subjective, but it's not the smoothest driving motor cause the motor comes in suddenly. When you get near the top edge of advance, monitor your motor temps.

Presently though, I'm running the R1 motor cause for pure revs, I believe it's King. The motor is smoother than a Killshot and is not as touchy on temps. By that I mean the performance doesn't seem to drop off with a higher temp. Obviously, it's never wise to routinely over heat a motor, but I've done that with my R1. For full disclosure though, I started with this motor from the prototype stage and watched the motor being developed, so may be a little prejudiced.

Post is not just for you, but for anyone shopping for a 21.5
Granpa, -Yes, you know the Revtech! ...it is a bit choppy, power delivery isn't smooth. The top driver at our club runs a speed passion 215t ...it's the "MM" series (I believe that is what it is) ..there is a "regular" and the "MM" ...I think the MM is a higher RPM motor?
My motor temps are about 140ish ...quite cool actually, even w/ timing turned way up. I do have a fan on the motor to keep it cool throughout the race so power doesn't fade.

Overall I am happy w/ the motor, and don't care to spend extra $$ in that area right now. Next purchase will be metal sealed bearings (per your and others suggestions on this thread). ...working on less friction at the moment!
eR1c is offline  
Old 07-16-2015, 01:06 PM
  #24772  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
32819toon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North of England
Posts: 580
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I've just built my V2 and can't wait to try full size against shortly lipos. Here are a couple pics with the Tamiya upgrade steering kit from when RC Mart were selling it at $10, and my new steering knuckles. You can also see my battered Monster Mini shell and my new Team Bluegroove version.

Myself and my 12 year old son both have brushless and lipos. We're both running 13.5t, I have a HobbyKing 45amp (I think ?), he is using my old Speed Passion Reventon R. The power isn't too much at all for these little monsters, and they fairly eat up the long back straight when we"re outdoors.

Apologies for the rant earlier but it was getting a bit unnecessary. Grandpa, Sadakachi, you're both valuable contributors to this forum, and your differences highlight how different our approaches can be to this enjoyable class of racing. Let's not fall out, and continue to share our experiences.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-img_20150712_142423256_hdr.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-img_20150712_142410383_hdr.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-img_20150716_201058.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-img_20150627_160541997.jpg  
32819toon is offline  
Old 07-16-2015, 01:14 PM
  #24773  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,354
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by 32819toon
I've just built my V2 and can't wait to try full size against shortly lipos. Here are a couple pics with the Tamiya upgrade steering kit from when RC Mart were selling it at $10, and my new steering knuckles. You can also see my battered Monster Mini shell and my new Team Bluegroove version.

Myself and my 12 year old son both have brushless and lipos. We're both running 13.5t, I have a HobbyKing 45amp (I think ?), he is using my old Speed Passion Reventon R. The power isn't too much at all for these little monsters, and they fairly eat up the long back straight when we"re outdoors.

Apologies for the rant earlier but it was getting a bit unnecessary. Grandpa, Sadakachi, you're both valuable contributors to this forum, and your differences highlight how different our approaches can be to this enjoyable class of racing. Let's not fall out, and continue to share our experiences.
32819toon- Wow, the aluminum steering link you have is black, that's nice! Dang, that's the color I wanted, but the one I ordered is by Yeah or something and only comes in blue.

Not to sound picky or anything, but we had a discussion on that long steering rod to servo horn right angle and even length steering rod discussion a few days ago? The one that I completely brainfarted on thinking that the long rod was parallel to the servo housing on the M05's.

In your picture I think you can center up the servo arm a little more 90 degrees to the longer rod, if you encounter uneven turn radius right to left. Then the steering rods would be adjusted to equal lengths left and right. If it doesn't bug you, no issue.

Thanks for giving me another chance. I'm going to not argue with anyone any more as I am tired as well. I just want to participate and enjoy my hobby.

BTW, I also love your body scheme!

Last edited by sakadachi; 07-16-2015 at 02:05 PM. Reason: grammar..
sakadachi is offline  
Old 07-16-2015, 01:17 PM
  #24774  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (37)
 
howardcano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 3,784
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by M05 newbie
Anyway to calculate the watts of motor if it's not listed??
Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Find a smarter guy than me, or buy a dyno? (Cue: Howard Cano)
I'm a bit late in responding to my cue... kind of like that play in second grade.

A good dynamometer is necessary if you want to find the peak power output of a motor. BUT, because of the limited gear ratio in a Mini, it really doesn't matter, because you'll usually be looking for a very high Kv rating (free-running RPM) rather than maximum power, and will probably need to advance the timing way past its optimum power setting just to get to the desired Kv. This is all assuming you will be racing.

I'd stick with the motor suggestions others are giving here, as I think they have gone through a whole bunch of different brands to find what works best. I'll add the ThunderPower 21.5 to the list, as its Kv is pretty high with the standard rotor, and the timing can be advanced well past where a sane person would want it.

EDIT: I'll also say that the battery is much less of a performance factor in a Mini than other types of cars, simply because the motor current is limited by wheelspin as the front end gets light on acceleration.
howardcano is offline  
Old 07-16-2015, 02:11 PM
  #24775  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Deleted

Last edited by Granpa; 07-16-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Granpa is offline  
Old 07-16-2015, 04:30 PM
  #24776  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: ontario canada
Posts: 281
Default

Hey for anyone that goes to parking lots to play around. What are some good ideas to make a little track....just pylons or what other innovative ideas have people used...if any? I'm literally dying to have a track or some sort of consistent path that I can practice on. I have some little 'checkpoints' if you will in front of my house but was looking to actually set something up in a parking lot that I can do on my lunch. Anyone have any good ideas maybe? ?
M05 newbie is offline  
Old 07-16-2015, 05:42 PM
  #24777  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 290
Default

As I posted earlier to your question, I use the turnigy nanotech batteries as well.

I was using the 4200mah stick pack, but now that I have changed to the V2 chassis I use the 5600mah square pack. The 4200mah is plenty big enough for the M05 with my hobbywing 13t brushless and 35a ESC.
filippimini is offline  
Old 07-16-2015, 05:46 PM
  #24778  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,618
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Granpa
Good luck in Singapore and kick some butt.
Thanks Granpa. Last time I raced in Singapore I should have been given the trip to Japan... maybe 2nd time the charm

Track is small 18m x 15m... unsure if Swift or Cooper.

Or maybe the M06
rccartips is offline  
Old 07-16-2015, 06:21 PM
  #24779  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,354
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by M05 newbie
Hey for anyone that goes to parking lots to play around. What are some good ideas to make a little track....just pylons or what other innovative ideas have people used...if any? I'm literally dying to have a track or some sort of consistent path that I can practice on. I have some little 'checkpoints' if you will in front of my house but was looking to actually set something up in a parking lot that I can do on my lunch. Anyone have any good ideas maybe? ?

I use plastic marker dots I bought from Amazon. Search Amazon/Ebay even your local sporting goods store for "marker dots." A lot of soccer players appear to use these low profile dots for practice.

If you get the low profile ones your car will just drive over them and wont slide around too much. If it does slide, you can temporarily use some duct tape rolled up inside and attach it to the pavement.

I bought like 3 dozen of these, but I think 2 dozen would be plenty.

Another thing I bring is a deck brush (broom) to clear any pebbles and debris on the parking lot.
Hope this helps!
sakadachi is offline  
Old 07-16-2015, 06:54 PM
  #24780  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Originally Posted by rccartips
Thanks Granpa. Last time I raced in Singapore I should have been given the trip to Japan... maybe 2nd time the charm

Track is small 18m x 15m... unsure if Swift or Cooper.

Or maybe the M06
Yeah, that track is small. We have a carpet track here and the quickest car was a little 210mm Cooper. Out of curiosity do you guys use unglued side wall S Gri[s as the spec tire or do they let you use M Grips too???? When you get a chance, drop me note after the Worlds-----see, I'm assuming you went on the trip.

Hopefully by the time you get back from the Trip, I'll be strong enough to start putting in some serious work. I'm running about a second off the times I ran before I got sick, but I was only a few tenths off what a good friend could do with my car. All in all not too bad for a sick old man who needed help to get to the drivers stand.
Granpa is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.