Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 08:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
They're both just the diff, with the outdrive cups. No axles. The main difference is the TA03 version is tough as nails.

Just curious: Are you looking at some racing or bashing?

- If you're racing, and the rules allow it, the 3Racing gear diff is a good piece. You'll need to buy the outer bearings separately. (2 pcs of 10x15x4mm. Cheap bearings will do fine.) The TOP and Spec R are also good items. In all cases, running silicone diff oil of 300,000wt or higher is recommended. 500,000 is a good starting point.

- If you have to use Tamiya only, then the TA03 ball diff (with a few tweaks) will do what you need it to. Uses the same bearings as the stock diff.

- Keep in mind, the more you lock up the diff, the faster you're going to burn through front tires. Your steering response will also be negatively affected, but this can be overcome with some chassis tuning.

- If you need to buy better axles/CVDs/universals/whatever-you-want-to-call-em, the 3Racing ones are as good as Tamiya, WAY cheaper and damn near indistinguishable.
Well with the time I don't have...I just make up my own tracks right now lol...so bashing but eventually racing. I think I wanna look at the TA03 then. And ya cups not axles lol.

Do u have any help on the wheel bearing play issue I'm having monkey???
Old 07-04-2015, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dan
Hey guys, I'm building a TA03 ball diff for my upcoming M05v2. I heard one of the tips is to remove one of the washers for tighter diff action.

I attached a pic, I'm assuming remove washer #3?
No, it is not. You remove one of the smaller cone or Belleville washers and use all 3 of the larger ones. Unless you are wanting to make your diff very tight, this isn't the best way to do it. This is a technique that we used many years ago, but abandoned cause it seems to load up the thrust washer unduly and causes premature failure. A diff built this way is never "smooth" and needs frequent rebuilds. If I remember correctly, leaving out one of the large washers gives you a looser diff.

What might be a better way is to build per the instructions, but use a shim or shims on the diff nut or screw. It takes the same size shim as you use on the axles. The advantage here is that you can make the adjustments in 0.1mm increments so that you can have the diff action you want. I generally use between 0.2-0.5mm in shims, but I do't run them ultra tight.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M05 newbie
Well with the time I don't have...I just make up my own tracks right now lol...so bashing but eventually racing. I think I wanna look at the TA03 then. And ya cups not axles lol.

Do u have any help on the wheel bearing play issue I'm having monkey???
Your local hobby shop probably carries Traxxas stuff. See if they have packages of 0.5mm Teflon washers. If you fit one to the axle, before you install it into the upright, it'll take up that slack. One at each corner should cover it. The bonus is there'll be some extras you can use for shimming out other stuff.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:20 PM
Tech Elite

K Granpa. ..I did what u said and this is what I've found and I'm still a little confused.

The m05 ball differential is...
Hop-Up your M-05 with the Ball Differential Set. The differential set provides traction and stability to your machine even if one wheel has no contact with the track surface. This is a essential Hop-Up part for your M-05 chassis. *Not included in the M-05 PRO.

Specs & Features

Newly designed Aluminum Differential Joint A (Hard anodized) x 1pc.Newly designed Aluminum Differential Joint B (Hard anodized) x 1pc.2x25mm Cap Screw x 1pc.5x0.5mm Spacer x 1pc.2mm Nylon Nut x 1pc.3mm Steel Ball x 8pcs.Differential Plate x 2pcs.TRF414X Diff. Spring x 1pc.Urethane Bushing x 2pcs.620 Reinforced Thrust Bearing x 1pc.850 Bearing x 2pcs.1510 Bearing x 2pcs.Ball Diff Grease 1g x 1pc.Diff Carrier x 1pc.TRF415MSX Y Parts (Swing Shaft Protector) x 1pc.Can be used with M-05 and M-05PRO kits.*

Note:**Use with M03 Assembly Universal Shaft (Item 53597).

Now the TA03 diff SET has the axles too? No description on that one. I see the first one I posted is 5 dollars more @ 32.99 and the TA03 with the shafts are 27.99. Which from what I can see is a complete kit with gears....but it's cheaper!?!? Wtf

You can call me dumb but I can't see the difference here lol...please clarify for me Granpa because I think I'm missing something.
All of this was covered in discussions just recently. Basic difference between the two is that the M05 diff is designed to be set up on the "loose" side. It uses outdrives that were designed to be used with plastic C pieces over the pins on the axles so the slots and bearings used are much bigger. The basic construction is more like a TC diff and is a more refined piece.

The TA03 diff uses outdrives the similar to the kit ones and does not require you to change bearings to a larger size. Once built you can just drop it in with no changes, whereas the M05 diff needs larger bearings and pin protecters. They may be included in the diff kit. I posted a very detailed set up "sheet" for you that included what diff would be the best for you to use.

This may just be my ego speaking, but why not just go back and do that. You don't have to think so you won't get confused
Old 07-05-2015, 07:35 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Granpa
All of this was covered in discussions just recently. Basic difference between the two is that the M05 diff is designed to be set up on the "loose" side. It uses outdrives that were designed to be used with plastic C pieces over the pins on the axles so the slots and bearings used are much bigger. The basic construction is more like a TC diff and is a more refined piece.

The TA03 diff uses outdrives the similar to the kit ones and does not require you to change bearings to a larger size. Once built you can just drop it in with no changes, whereas the M05 diff needs larger bearings and pin protecters. They may be included in the diff kit. I posted a very detailed set up "sheet" for you that included what diff would be the best for you to use.

This may just be my ego speaking, but why not just go back and do that. You don't have to think so you won't get confused

Thanks Granpa. I just wanted to see the difference between the 2. Now I understand a whole lot better. TA03 it is. Thankyou for the clarity.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Your local hobby shop probably carries Traxxas stuff. See if they have packages of 0.5mm Teflon washers. If you fit one to the axle, before you install it into the upright, it'll take up that slack. One at each corner should cover it. The bonus is there'll be some extras you can use for shimming out other stuff.
So just a teflon washer on the inside of the wheel bearing...on the outer most bearing...the bearing closest to the wheel right? Have u ever had this happen building an m05?
Old 07-05-2015, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So just a teflon washer on the inside of the wheel bearing...on the outer most bearing...the bearing closest to the wheel right? Have u ever had this happen building an m05?
Hey newbie?
Instead of spending some hard earned money on a Ball Diff
Why not try locking up the stock gear diff?
if you go to your local pharmacy and get a couple of foam ear plugs, cut them up, and stuff them in the gear diff it will tighten it up a bunch.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:52 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

One the axle, before installing into the upright. Furthest from the wheel.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:41 PM
Tech Addict

[QUOTE=Granpa;14078213]The best 60D tires are Pit Shimizu tires with the Tamiya hard foam insert. Not TCS legal for obvious reasons. Use the 456 or 454 in front and the 452 in back.

Granpa, thanks for the tyre tips. I tried the 456 up front (couldn't get 454), and 452 at the back, both with hard inserts. The car pushed an awful lot, but was much better with M Grips up front. I tried the 3Racing rear shock tower & had the shocks in the outside hole. I had 3Racing Gold springs up front & 40wt oil all round. Might try softer springs up front next time to get better turn in. Didn't get chance to experiment much as the heavens opened after 1 race.

Valuable lesson - both mine & my sons car DNF'd due to screws backing out of alloy parts. He was leading with 30 secs left in the race ! ALWAYS THREADLOCK SCREWS INTO ALLOY PARTS !!!
Old 07-05-2015, 01:22 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
Hey newbie?
Instead of spending some hard earned money on a Ball Diff
Why not try locking up the stock gear diff?
if you go to your local pharmacy and get a couple of foam ear plugs, cut them up, and stuff them in the gear diff it will tighten it up a bunch.
Hey I have a bunch at work. I could definitely try it but I just don't wanna have to take the car apart TOO frequently...I. E if ear plugs don't work. How much per say would u put in there?? Is the idea too lock it or let it turn still a little individually?? I'm replacing gears now too anyway so I might try the cheaper route. And I thought locking the diff completley was not a good idea....it should have some slip right?
Old 07-05-2015, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Hey I have a bunch at work. I could definitely try it but I just don't wanna have to take the car apart TOO frequently...I. E if ear plugs don't work. How much per say would u put in there?? Is the idea too lock it or let it turn still a little individually?? I'm replacing gears now too anyway so I might try the cheaper route. And I thought locking the diff completley was not a good idea....it should have some slip right?
The foam won't completely lock it up. I haven't played with this yet, but several of the drivers I know from the tcs events we attend are doing it that way and they seem really competitive
If you gotta pull it apart to replace the gears, what do you have to loose?
you'll just have to figure out if it fits your driving style
Old 07-05-2015, 02:15 PM
Tech Regular

I just don't want to have to pull it out again if it doesn't work. Wife seems to think that I should spend ZERO time on it haha. It's a better hobby than something that makes me have to leave the house all the time. But I guess the better I get the more I do it the less time it will take me to fix it and stuff. I'll give it a shot for now. So do I cut em in half...the ear plugs...and Jam them in or smaller pieces and kind of fill it like a box for shipping with the foam stuff in it lol...
Old 07-05-2015, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

I just don't want to have to pull it out again if it doesn't work. Wife seems to think that I should spend ZERO time on it haha. It's a better hobby than something that makes me have to leave the house all the time. But I guess the better I get the more I do it the less time it will take me to fix it and stuff. I'll give it a shot for now. So do I cut em in half...the ear plugs...and Jam them in or smaller pieces and kind of fill it like a box for shipping with the foam stuff in it lol...
What I saw was the guys chopping them up into pieces and shoving them
in the gear case. One of the guys said to be careful when rescrewing the cover back on
Old 07-05-2015, 02:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
What I saw was the guys chopping them up into pieces and shoving them
in the gear case. One of the guys said to be careful when rescrewing the cover back on
So more or less pack it a little bit. I'm going to try this. See if it helps out a little bit. It'll get me rolling sooner when I get my gears next week considering the diff isnt even ordered yet. I'll post pics if I can and show the process of what i did. Hey I know I've been told about gears a few times but I think in going with the tamiya reinforced (black). Any other favorites out there when it comes to m05 gears? Mainly for toughness.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=32819toon;14081781]
Originally Posted by Granpa
The best 60D tires are Pit Shimizu tires with the Tamiya hard foam insert. Not TCS legal for obvious reasons. Use the 456 or 454 in front and the 452 in back.

Granpa, thanks for the tyre tips. I tried the 456 up front (couldn't get 454), and 452 at the back, both with hard inserts. The car pushed an awful lot, but was much better with M Grips up front. I tried the 3Racing rear shock tower & had the shocks in the outside hole. I had 3Racing Gold springs up front & 40wt oil all round. Might try softer springs up front next time to get better turn in. Didn't get chance to experiment much as the heavens opened after 1 race.

Valuable lesson - both mine & my sons car DNF'd due to screws backing out of alloy parts. He was leading with 30 secs left in the race ! ALWAYS THREADLOCK SCREWS INTO ALLOY PARTS !!!
To get better turn in the obvious things to do are to increase weight or weight transfer to the front wheels. The other is to use tires with a higher coefficient of friction-----stickier tires. 454s are what I usually use, but traction roll can become a problem unless you add glue to the side walls. While both tires are important, the outside front wheel is the oe that's most important.

Let's go through the things you can do to your set up one by one. The first is the one you mentioned which is to go to a softer spring. The second is to lower the front ride height in relation to the front. The 3rd is to increase the length of the rear shocks. These are the obvious ones.

There are some others, but I don't know what option parts you are using. The stock hex drives are 6mm, you could use the option 4 or 5mm alloy hexes----expensive, but nice parts to have. If you have the option shock towers, try the second hole on the front and play with the shock angles in the rear. If you do't have the rear shock tower you could try a spring one step softer. If you have the roll bar on the rear, you could go to the softer one or remove it. You could also bump your ride height up a mm or two all around. As you can tell these are to let the car roll a bit more so you'll have a little more lateral weight shift, which will load the outside front wheel.

The one most overlooked by less experienced racers is the toe out and also the most disputed. I'll give you my take on it and you can try both ways and come to your own conclusions. If you want better turn in, I reduce the amount of toe out. Often I use almost zero. Guys with a TC background think you add or increase toe out. I think this makes the car sluggish. This is also the one that affects the turn in the most.

I recently posted a tip on the way I check toe out cause, for me, it's very difficult to check by eyeballing it while the car is resting on all 4 wheels. I turn the car on it's side, then put the front tire resting on the table, flat against the table. Then check the angle of the upper wheel. This will in effect double the angle you're judging, thus making it much easier to gauge your toe out.

Hope this helps and I don't mean to sound like your high school math teacher.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.