Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 07-03-2015, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sakadachi
I've owned 3 M03's in the last 20 yrs(?), raced 2 of them frequently..none has cracked.

I think people are just running them too low.
No issue with my M05, V2, and any of my other chassis listed in my sig cracking. My typical ride height is near 10mm especially for outdoor driving, about 2x most people's ground clearance.
10mm? well don't expect your suspension geometry to be doing you any favors, as well as the driveshafts working harder. Up here its minimum 5mm RH, so mine is always at 5mm. Considering how cheap the chassis parts cost, and the need to replace them anyhow, once your suspension mount holes wear, its not a major worry for me.

Only possibility for running much higher RH than 5mm would be to increase the COG to make the car transfer more weight quicker in the turns, which could **possibly** work on asphalt, but I seriously doubt that hey GP? Id call that a bandaid solution to a grip problem (which I have done from time to time!)
Old 07-03-2015, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by axle182
10mm? well don't expect your suspension geometry to be doing you any favors, as well as the driveshafts working harder. Up here its minimum 5mm RH, so mine is always at 5mm. Considering how cheap the chassis parts cost, and the need to replace them anyhow, once your suspension mount holes wear, its not a major worry for me.

Only possibility for running much higher RH than 5mm would be to increase the COG to make the car transfer more weight quicker in the turns, which could **possibly** work on asphalt, but I seriously doubt that hey GP? Id call that a bandaid solution to a grip problem (which I have done from time to time!)
Problem here is that ride height measurement is an inconsistent thing. Sakadachi mentioned in a recent post that he measures his with a mm ruler. You and I probably measure at the low point of the chassis F and R. Our measurements will in all likelihood be very close. If he's measuring with a ruler, who knows what his actual ride height is compared to what you and I might get.

I'm with you on this one. 10mm ride height I'd think would give some unusual suspension and drive line geometry. You'd probably get positive camber and some odd drive line angles. However, since we don't actually know how he arrived at his 10mm ride ht. measurement, it's better to not assume anything. It seems as if he has his own unique way of doing things. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this, but, at times, it makes communication a bit difficult.

To Sakadachi, no criticisms intended here. Just wanted Aaron to know your 10mm ay be different than our 10mm ride height measurement. Nothing wrong with that, but it does lead to some difficulty in communication.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Granpa
Problem here is that ride height measurement is an inconsistent thing. Sakadachi mentioned in a recent post that he measures his with a mm ruler. You and I probably measure at the low point of the chassis F and R. Our measurements will in all likelihood be very close. If he's measuring with a ruler, who knows what his actual ride height is compared to what you and I might get.

I'm with you on this one. 10mm ride height I'd think would give some unusual suspension and drive line geometry. You'd probably get positive camber and some odd drive line angles. However, since we don't actually know how he arrived at his 10mm ride ht. measurement, it's better to not assume anything. It seems as if he has his own unique way of doing things. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this, but, at times, it makes communication a bit difficult.

To Sakadachi, no criticisms intended here. Just wanted Aaron to know your 10mm ay be different than our 10mm ride height measurement. Nothing wrong with that, but it does lead to some difficulty in communication.
So just to clarify where ride height is measured....it is the lowest point of the chassis to the ground underneath the car?? Is that why the rods are used you were talking about Granpa? ?
Old 07-03-2015, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't think my M03's having suspension or drivetrain issues. The car actually runs better at a taller setting for me. I'll measure it again later but it's not 5-6mm.

My sedans I setup around 5-6mm at the races, sparks literally flew out back when it bottom out during the race on concrete from the rear lower deck screws.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

For ease of understanding for everyone, the universal way of RH measurement is using a flat deck, with a proper ride height gauge, hitting the lowest part of the car (with a mini that's usually the center of the chassis) both front and rear. If you get the same measurements, using a ruler, your finger width (damn you have small fingers!) or any other method, that is totally fine, as long as you get the same result as if you used a std ride height gauge. If we all measure it differently, and get different numbers for the same item there is really no reason to post your numbers, as others will 'try it' and it wont work lol. Anything else is guessing, and will frustrate others, when it doesn't work.

If we are to post any numbers for setups, we really need to adhere to a common approach to measurement. Otherwise its all just a waste of time Saka, if your ride height is a true 10mm from the race deck to the lowest part of the underside of your chassis, you are indeed going to be fighting a loosing battle in regards to car handling. It really needs to be close to 5mm (or whatever your min is for your race rules) and can possibly be set up 1-2mm higher - I have tried this a few times on low grip carpet, but I reduced the RH back down once the grip came up.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

So I received my round smooth jaw Xcelite today (for removing ball joints) so headed down to the basement loaded my M03 with a battery and took a look under the car.

I lied, it's 5mm at the lowest point. *hiding under workbench*

I gave the thing a lot of rake during the last setup tune..that's where it ended up.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:55 AM
Tech Regular

For ease of understanding for everyone, the universal way of RH measurement is using a flat deck, with a proper ride height gauge, hitting the lowest part of the car (with a mini that's usually the center of the chassis) both front and rear. If you get the same measurements, using a ruler, your finger width (damn you have small fingers!) or any other method, that is totally fine, as long as you get the same result as if you used a std ride height gauge. If we all measure it differently, and get different numbers for the same item there is really no reason to post your numbers, as others will 'try it' and it wont work lol. Anything else is guessing, and will frustrate others, when it doesn't work.

If we are to post any numbers for setups, we really need to adhere to a common approach to measurement. Otherwise its all just a waste of time Saka, if your ride height is a true 10mm from the race deck to the lowest part of the underside of your chassis, you are indeed going to be fighting a loosing battle in regards to car handling. It really needs to be close to 5mm (or whatever your min is for your race rules) and can possibly be set up 1-2mm higher - I have tried this a few times on low grip carpet, but I reduced the RH back down once the grip came up.
Could you put a pic of the ride height gauge??
Old 07-03-2015, 09:59 AM
Tech Elite

Most camber gauges these days come with the height gauge (ramp portion)

Here is a generic example of what it looks like (not mine):

Old 07-03-2015, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

10mm? well don't expect your suspension geometry to be doing you any favors, as well as the driveshafts working harder.
Here's what I mean by my taller ride height. This is my new SabreFD Mini setup fairly similarly to my M-Four.
The ride height might be high per my preference at 8.5mm front at the lowest point (rear is taller), but the suspension
arms are horizontal. Drive axles do not appear to be binding in any way either.

Therefore, I don't think they are working against the car?

But I do agree my way of measuring is not very scientific.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Assuming you have the correct tires for the job, lower will be better for 99% of cases. Basically, you change your setup to get as much grip, so you can travel as fast as possible through any point on the track. Lowering allows you to have more grip, without flipping over. If you start a setup with a high RH, your starting from a bad spot. Id suggest always starting a setup (new car etc) from the min set by your rules

This is the kind of gauge you really need.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...d_Chassis.html

When we are talking .5mm adjustment for RH, if your eyeballing it from a ruler, it may be off.

Another cheap way (they use these in tech) is to use a CD plastic cover. IIRC, they are 5mm in height
Old 07-03-2015, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mariob62
Monkeyracing is a 2000+ mile drive from Oakville. I think he's in the Calgary area.
Hey atleast he is in the same country!!!
Old 07-03-2015, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

In the growling pits of hell Calgary Canada, as do I and Bonecrusher (Ivan). Its Stampede time, so he may not reply, as he has probably started drinking already today

OUCH!!!
Tough Crowd up that way!!!
Old 07-03-2015, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Curious to see how you measure the ride height of the M03. It's probably cause I don't understand the method, but when I try it, the actual ride height is more like 8mm. That's a guess cause I don't have anything to measure ride height that goes that high.

Perhaps you could post some pictures of your M03 with a 10mm ride height. Mine looks ridiculous.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:59 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
OUCH!!!
Tough Crowd up that way!!!
Alberta is like Texas north, minus the guns. We've got oil, beef, real beer and drunken fists of fury, tempered by a pathological Canadian urge to apologize, whether you get hit or not.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by M05 newbie
So just to clarify where ride height is measured....it is the lowest point of the chassis to the ground underneath the car?? Is that why the rods are used you were talking about Granpa? ?
Sure, run the 5mm rod under the car, if it just touches, RH is 5mm. The rest you can figure out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.