Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 06-27-2015, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Bonecrusher's secret to winning is the Ramen Noodle flag on his car....
Old 06-27-2015, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Bob, you should have the rule that Once mini Mafia Always Mini Mafia

You can try to get out, but we'll drag you back!
Old 06-27-2015, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Are you kidding? Ivan wouldn't know what to do with wool if you gave him a toque with instructions, he'd just unravel it an use it to hold his crappy car together. I've worked on his car and driven it. It's nothing special, just very well and comfortably setup.

The part I don't get is how he can win races on tires other people would (or have) disposed of. I think it's a bit like when you get in a taxi and you realize it's probably been on the road for close to a million miles, but somehow, among the rattles, creaks and your terror at being ensconced in a rolling mistake, the whole has settled into some kind of mechanical unison, the driver knows all the quirks and he's gotten you to the airport in record time.
Here's the deal. One of the reasons Ivan's kicking' butt is that he knows stuff the rest of you don't. Worn, beat up S-Grip tires are better on carpet as long as you know what to do to them. Now, just peel the wool off your eyes and go race.

Dennis Lyman used to pull that stuff on me all the time. he'd wait to see how long it took for me to figure something out, then he'd explain and show me more. Sorta like the old Kung Fu program on TV.

By the way, I meant no offense when I said he'd figured out some stuff you hadn't yet

Originally Posted by Sydewynder
Very funny cause I know it's the Ramen noodles in his outdrives, plus his ability on the wheel

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
Bob, you should have the rule that Once mini Mafia Always Mini Mafia

You can try to get out, but we'll drag you back!
Man, I wish we could. I sure miss running with those guys. Our 4PM Mini Mayhems were classic. 10 - 15 minis piloted by some really good wheels was just amazing fun. They were, many times more competitive than any organized races. Sure learned a lot really fast. Too bad, all gone now.

Sorry to all. Just an old guy telling stories of days gone by. It sure ws fun tho. Although you have the best situation of all with Gold dust.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Will!!!

Long time no chat!

Yup, still flying the noodle flag. Doesn't seem to affect performance. Always a great psychological advantage against the fast guys and fun for the newbies and spectators to realize that Mini is a super fun class that shouldn't be taken seriously. I guess really all classes should be like that.

I've also started racing another class last season. Take a guess what I've been doing in F1 that doesn't make any sense but my car is on rails!!!

Ivan
Old 06-27-2015, 09:00 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the info Granpa but sorry to hear about your core group of guys not all racing together like before.

We kinda have something different yet similar up here. Mini use to be a class where even the fastest guys from the Touring Car classes use to run. Made for some real great battles and entertainment. But alas, some of them found the class too 'slow' for their liking. That's unfortunate as I always prefer racing guys faster than me.

I would also comment that up here, knowledge is completely shared amongst peers. I don't think there's that 1% of secrets that aren't shared. Monkeyracing (Jim) is a wealth of knowledge and Axle182 (Aaron) and hprt (Scott) regularly post tips and freely answers question on our local rctech threads. Base knowledge was gain thru rc-mini.net for everyone initially when we started this class here about 7 years ago and our local gurus are more than happy to help everyone out!

Could you tell me is the Tamiya Track you race at also the one they run the Reedy Race of Champions at? Also, how does your club generally attract new mini racers? Just curious.

Ivan
Old 06-27-2015, 11:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BoneCrusher
Thanks for the info Granpa but sorry to hear about your core group of guys not all racing together like before.

We kinda have something different yet similar up here. Mini use to be a class where even the fastest guys from the Touring Car classes use to run. Made for some real great battles and entertainment. But alas, some of them found the class too 'slow' for their liking. That's unfortunate as I always prefer racing guys faster than me.

I would also comment that up here, knowledge is completely shared amongst peers. I don't think there's that 1% of secrets that aren't shared. Monkeyracing (Jim) is a wealth of knowledge and Axle182 (Aaron) and hprt (Scott) regularly post tips and freely answers question on our local rctech threads. Base knowledge was gain thru rc-mini.net for everyone initially when we started this class here about 7 years ago and our local gurus are more than happy to help everyone out!

Could you tell me is the Tamiya Track you race at also the one they run the Reedy Race of Champions at? Also, how does your club generally attract new mini racers? Just curious.

Ivan
Yeah, They run the Reedy race here.

When the Mini Mafia first came together, the guys I ran with came to the Tamiya track cause we wanted to run with the best. A couple of other small groups came at that time also. Sort of like Camelot, you know. It wasn't the Mini Mafia until Tom Kahl hung that label on us. Thus our "happy hour" 4 PM, impromptu races became Mini Mayhem. The group had a different mentality cause we were here because we wanted to run with the "best".

You asked how we get new guys???? It's been really tough to get new racers. This 21.5 thing hasn't helped the situation any either. Only the mentally tough hang in there. New guy shows up, puts his car on the track and goes Duuuuuh around the track. Then here comes Kevin and Laguna Bozo and they're going WwwaaaaaaaaahhHHHHbroooooooooM and pass the poor guy on the inside and outside as they go by. Can't wait for him cause they got a race going on. A lot of the time he'll pick his car up and go home. A few will stick it out and learn from the guys and become part of the Mafia. Ask AngryRog cause he stuck around and is starting to run pretty good.

It's probably the same deal you guys have. When the series is new, guys join in rapidly cause everyone is still learning. As the group matures new guys get swamped as they come in. It's tough running in the E main and a lot of racers quit.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:23 AM
Tech Addict

My son and I started racing Minis outdoors last year. We've been racing touring cars for seven years and occassionally visited another club about an hour away. It runs on Sunday afternoon every two weeks, depending on numbers. During summer they race outdoors on a school playground. There's no track prep, and no grip. The touring cars have to use rally blocks, but the grip is still poor.

I didn't want to run our touring cars outdoors, so I set up a M03 for my son, and the M05 for me. By the second outing, there were more Minis, and a "new" class was born. For the winter when we moved back inside, we still run the Minis, sometimes twelve of them. For turn outs up to ten, we put them all in one heat on a small indoor track - real Mini Mayhem ! - and fantastic fun, what r/c car racing should be ! I'm now looking to improve the car, hence the questions last week. Parts have been ordered, including a v2 chassis and I can't wait to re-build the car & try them out.

As a side, my son and I also go to a local school yard and race rallycross style using cones to mark the track and we also have a joker lap.

Here are pics of our cars, my son is a huge Petter Solberg fan and we were lucky enough to meet him recently, so my boy asked me to paint his Monster Mini in Petter's colours.

Mini racing is the most fun class in r/c without doubt.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-img_20150601_122846886.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-img_20150627_211322.jpg  
Old 06-28-2015, 04:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BoneCrusher
Hey Will!!!

Long time no chat!

Yup, still flying the noodle flag. Doesn't seem to affect performance. Always a great psychological advantage against the fast guys and fun for the newbies and spectators to realize that Mini is a super fun class that shouldn't be taken seriously. I guess really all classes should be like that.

I've also started racing another class last season. Take a guess what I've been doing in F1 that doesn't make any sense but my car is on rails!!!

Ivan
Hey Ivan!

Sounds like you still having fun with the minis. That flag is hilarious. There is some renewed interests in TCS minis where I am. I think some peeps that wants to go down to the Tamiya track and maybe run against grandpa. .

Let me guess. Your F1 has no side springs and you're running hard rear and soft front tires. Tamiya antiwear grease in the diff....Yes Mr Monkeyracing F1 is evil. Lol

Oh and yes the Tamiya track started hosting the Reedy again. My track lost that venue when it lost the lease for the space for the permanent track.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:03 AM
Tech Elite

Nice bodies 32819toon. I wish I can get that body here in the states.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:24 AM
Tech Addict

Nice bodies 32819toon. I wish I can get that body here in the states.
Its a Monster Mini repro from Team Bluegroove in Canada. They're also on Ebay.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Hey Ivan!

Sounds like you still having fun with the minis. That flag is hilarious. There is some renewed interests in TCS minis where I am. I think some peeps that wants to go down to the Tamiya track and maybe run against grandpa. .
That's really funny and gave me a big kick. Makes me feel like the old Gunslinger that the youngsters want to take on. Thanks, does my ego good.

I'm retired now cause I'll be 80 in less than 6 months and the cancer treatments have really taken their toll on me physically. Give me a little while to get back in shape and we'll see if I can still give you a run. Wish you had come down 2 or 3 years ago, cause I know I was tougher then.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

http://youtu.be/mKTl2tw7qFw

Here we go.
Ivan in full flow with his M03, truck body and flag.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

That flag is hillarious! good driving guys.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:56 PM
Tech Elite

Made minor progress today. I realized this kit uses no servo saver.
I think I'm going to run Kimbrough just in case.

Ghetto damper holder to get the bubbles out.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Ghetto damper holder to get the bubbles out.
I saw the photo before I read the post, ..I was like what the heck is that? some kind of beefy outdrive that is connected to the wheel??

Love your shock holder, i'll have to remember that for next time. I usually pour the oil in then look around my table for some nicely sized crevice to hold my shock ...or lean it up against something. Not as elegant a solution as you've come up with.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.