Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 06-21-2015, 11:32 AM
  #24031  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
KA2AEV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tottenville, NYC
Posts: 2,330
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Happy Fathers Day Guys!!!
KA2AEV is offline  
Old 06-21-2015, 03:25 PM
  #24032  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 290
Default

Originally Posted by Granpa
Nah, I don't keep forgetting that since I spend most of my track time at the Tamiya facility. However, what you might not be aware of is that most of us do not buy directly from Tamiya cause they do ding us full retail. The street price of most Tamiya items is about 60% of retail. Very few of the LHS carry the Mini kits and finding Mini parts is difficult at the LHS level. Most of use online suppliers and the Hong Kong or Japan shops. From my contact with some of your Aussie counterparts, that's pretty much your situation.

Also, I believe some of our online suppliers will ship internationally, but the Asian shops are probably less expensive.

You make it sound as if you live in some backwards and isolated part of the world. I may be wrong, but my impression of Australia is that it is a a modern country with a vibrant economy. Surely, you don't have any more trouble finding and obtaining Tamiya items than our Canadian counterparts, but as always admit to the possibility that I'm mistaken.
You are right that Australia is a modern vibrant country, however our significantly smaller population means we have a much smaller demand for these items. As a result LHSs don't normally stock this stuff. Even our online stores charge at least two to five times the price of the international stores.

Ryan
filippimini is offline  
Old 06-21-2015, 03:50 PM
  #24033  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,354
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
Happy Fathers Day Guys!!!
Thanks, you too, KA2AEV!!!
sakadachi is offline  
Old 06-21-2015, 04:33 PM
  #24034  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,305
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Buying RC stuff in Canada. Calgary, specifically:

Drive to the "large" hobby shop and be disappointed yet again, because they have no stock or are charging more than MSRP. $45 for a 3Racing diff?!

Place an order with the really awesome, small hobby shop, that always gets stuff in fast, with decent pricing, but they're across town and keep bankers hours. (This is still my first choice)

Order online, pay less than retail, have it land at your door...somewhere between one and six weeks.

One way or the other, you're paying extra. I'm guessing Oz is very similar. I still find it weird that it's generally cheaper to ship stuff from Japan or Australia than it is from Hong Kong or the U.S. (TQ is the totally awesome exception to this rule.)
monkeyracing is offline  
Old 06-21-2015, 09:25 PM
  #24035  
Tech Elite
 
niznai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: All over the place
Posts: 2,974
Default

Granpa, what you say is quite shocking. I did not imagine that would be the case at all. Sadly, sounds somewhat similar to what happens everywhere else with Tamiya. I don't understand why Tamiya has this approach to its customers (perhaps contracts with hobby shops to not undercut?). This idea however would not apply in Oz. There are no hobby shops that carry an extended range of anything apart from cheap crap.

With the exception of shops that have direct importer contracts (none with Tamiya though, because Tamiya has chosen the exclusive single importer route here).
This seems to be a new approach to challenging some of the online shopping coming from tax heavens next door. These are the hobby shops that have successfully survived, and kudos to them. Most have banked on the impulse purchase single buy customer walking off the street and as the economy goes down even deeper in recession they shut shop and join the unemployment office queue.

Your impression of Australia is what the propaganda wants you to hear (glossy brochures and official news).

I work in one of the core industries we rely on (mining) and it has been going down in flames for four years, with more to follow. Most Australians are however in denial, and until recently nobody dared say the "r" word. Officially it has been said now (not by any officials though, but by economic analysis agencies) and of course, the govt is trying to get the jar of worms back in a bigger jar because that's the best they can come up with. The agency that predicted the recession said it will peak in 2017. My guess is it's going to peak earlier, or if it does peak in 2017 it will be a lot deeper than even I thought.
The situation is the same elsewhere. The wine industry exports to the US (to take an example) 1/50 the amount of wine we did export there a few short years ago.

We're not the US, Granpa. Australia is not used to being competitive, because we dodged with luck all the bad stuff you guys went through (like the GFC, the Asia collapse, etc) and we got used to making big money too easily. The luck has run out though. China is no longer buying our resources and it looks it will buy even less in the future. Having relied on exporting bananas for so long we find ourselves now incapable of selling anything else because we don't have anything else. We lost all manufacturing a long time ago, and have no intention to reinvent it (nor do we have any idea; when someone comes with an idea, they usually end up over there in the US where people invest in ideas, or in Europe or Japan/Asia). Even if we did, we are not competitive on cost because we are a very high labour cost economy (and we have huge overheads as well). The net result is that anything manufactured here is so expensive, it is not competitive. Add the fact that we too bloody far away from anywhere and we did not manage to engage in any serious way economically with our neighbours, and the fact that we are a small country (population wise) with a huge territory, hence a backward infrastructure (internet speeds are for instance some of the lowest you have heard of and we still have download limits - something a canadian friend of mine here in the company makes fun of - she says australians REALLY like to pay for things!) because we can't afford to pay for its development (not that anyone understands infrastructure is a vital part of economy, not a whim (governments here believe fast internet is for watching porn in HD, not run business in real time with the world).
It will take a revolutionary change of economic paradigm in this country to save it from becoming a retirement haven for the rich like Costa Rica, and so on. Right now it seems that's where we're headed and by choice, apparently.

Monkeyracing, I hear you. Not sure what shops you found in Oz that have better prices than your LHS, but I would guess it's one of those with direct importer contracts, and your stuff might not even come from Oz, but from some warehouse in HK or who knows where else like that. This is one component of the new paradigm that saved local shops: have a real shop and a virtual one. Keep some stock in the real shop, but have everything on stock in the virtual shop and a quick shipping service/contractor on hand. Being a business, you are guaranteed the shortest possible time to get your order (customs in Oz are usually the worst factor in delays, but they usually leave businesses alone). I would hazard a guess though that it's not Tamiya stuff you found cheaper to buy from Oz.

One difference I found between our countries from talking extensively with my canadian workmate is that you guys benefit somewhat from having the biggest economy (and the most savage competition driven economy) next door. This has helped you guys focus a bit better on the (economic) ball.

Last edited by niznai; 06-21-2015 at 10:12 PM.
niznai is offline  
Old 06-21-2015, 10:09 PM
  #24036  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (7)
 
tony gray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Melbourne, Australia. Home of rc-mini.net
Posts: 3,549
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by howardcano
Oh... poo. Had me fooled.

EDIT: The Nanda NRX-12 ad says carbon fiber chassis, but it also costs more. Now I know why.
Howard, I may have to retract my previous statement. My M.Rage kit just arrived and it specifically states 'Carbon Fiber Chassis' and looking at it, BOY does it look like genuine Carbon...if it's fake, then it's a pretty damn good one.
tony gray is offline  
Old 06-21-2015, 11:52 PM
  #24037  
Dan
Tech Champion
iTrader: (75)
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 6,295
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

Sorry, didn't want to go thru a bunch of pages...

For the TCS legal mini pre-mount tires, which ones are the ones to get? I see 3 different part numbers... (2 different compounds total, and one of the other ones with a different wheel color?)

Not sure which is best for medium traction asphalt. Which ones are used at Aliso for front/rear? Any other tricks? (are gluing sidewalls allowed at TCS?)
Dan is offline  
Old 06-22-2015, 01:12 AM
  #24038  
Tech Adept
 
ErikJan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Posts: 149
Default

Originally Posted by tony gray
Howard, I may have to retract my previous statement. My M.Rage kit just arrived and it specifically states 'Carbon Fiber Chassis' and looking at it, BOY does it look like genuine Carbon...if it's fake, then it's a pretty damn good one.
The chassis parts are glass fiber with one layer of carbon on both sides. If you use superglue on the edges, the glass fiber turns black, and you can make everyone believe it is full carbon
I ordered mine on Thursday, build it on Friday evening and raced it on Saturday. First impression with the 3000kV is great. Fast, easy to drive and very silent.
Right after the run I switched to the M05V2, and that was much slower, and very noisy.
ErikJan is offline  
Old 06-22-2015, 05:02 AM
  #24039  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Australia
Posts: 290
Default

Do most people reinforce their bodies with shoe goo or similar before they use them in order to prolong life? Or do people just make repairs to damaged cars?

I have just been fixing my bodies as needed, but I have a new body here and wondering if I should reinforce it from the get go.

Advice?
filippimini is offline  
Old 06-22-2015, 05:32 AM
  #24040  
Tech Regular
 
marcos graveyar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Newtownforbes, Ireland
Posts: 253
Default

I use a rubber glue, similar to Shoe-Goo, as well as scrim cloth, an FG mesh used to cover joints between plasterboard prior to plastering.
I also use foil tape in areas I know are prone to splitting.
marcos graveyar is offline  
Old 06-22-2015, 05:37 AM
  #24041  
Tech Regular
 
marcos graveyar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Newtownforbes, Ireland
Posts: 253
Default

For all of the tap artists, Tamiya do their own M3 tap, part number 54232.
marcos graveyar is offline  
Old 06-22-2015, 08:42 AM
  #24042  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Originally Posted by Dan
Sorry, didn't want to go thru a bunch of pages...

For the TCS legal mini pre-mount tires, which ones are the ones to get? I see 3 different part numbers... (2 different compounds total, and one of the other ones with a different wheel color?)

Not sure which is best for medium traction asphalt. Which ones are used at Aliso for front/rear? Any other tricks? (are gluing sidewalls allowed at TCS?)
For Aliso, the #1016. These are the S-Grip premounts.

Check rule #43 under the general rules-----your guess is as good as mine. they allowed glued sidewalls at the Regionals, but not at the Finals. Don't know about this year, but most of the guys I know are running w/out glue.
Granpa is offline  
Old 06-22-2015, 09:15 AM
  #24043  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Originally Posted by filippimini
Do most people reinforce their bodies with shoe goo or similar before they use them in order to prolong life? Or do people just make repairs to damaged cars?

I have just been fixing my bodies as needed, but I have a new body here and wondering if I should reinforce it from the get go.

Advice?
It seems as if a layer of Silicone is probably the best. I've tried using window screen, fiber glass, etc and for the most part, they just tear making them worthless. I do like to add weight to the front of my cars, so do this by glueing shaped foam to the inside of the body to act as a "bumper" also. Since I primarily use a Suzuki Swift body with it's long nose, adding weight there is very effective and requires less weight cause it's so far forward.

It's best to do this prior to doing any damage to the body.
Granpa is offline  
Old 06-22-2015, 09:44 AM
  #24044  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,354
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

So I received my MIP hex driver bits yesterday. I haven't started my Sabre so no idea how they are. But I did LOL when I saw that I had to put these sizing stickers on the shafts and heat shrink a cover over them. At this price I would've expected laser etching or something. oh well.
sakadachi is offline  
Old 06-22-2015, 10:00 AM
  #24045  
Tech Master
 
patorz31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Edmonton Ab
Posts: 1,554
Default

In 20 years when you are still using the same tips you won't care about lazer etching...LOL
patorz31 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.