Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 06-04-2015, 03:20 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Drachenschorsch
The only obvious reasons (to me at least) are (a) that most mini racing series donīt accept other cars than Tamiya M-Chassis, and (b) the fact, that you can get a M-Chassis literally everywhere.

The reason why threads about other m-sized cars dry out might has something to do with people beeing just happy with their cars after the one or two existing problems with them are sorted out.
The most obvious reason is cost. The really good 4WD Minis are just TCs that are smaller. Double deck carbon fiber, anodized aluminum, etc., etc. Consequently the price of the kits is high and where they cut corners to reduce costs, upgrades are available.

The second is why invest that much money to run with a bunch of Tamiya Minis, since they would not be competitive------which is why they have a separate class.

Because of #2, there aren't many situations where a 4WD class is offered. You have a nice, expensive car with nowhere to race. Since you'll have to spend almost as much for one of these as a good TC, most opt for a TC.

I wasn't knocking the car or the people to whom this car would appeal. It's just that, except for unusual circumstances, it's been pretty much an orphan. I'm talking about the USA and don't know about other locales. The guys that do it here just build them just to build them to run a bit and eventually they get put away on a shelf somewhere.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There's a lot of truth to what Granpa posted. I have 4WD m-chassis for personal enjoyment and just a vanity aspect of having them in my Mini collection.

I am still not convinced that 4WD Sabre's going to fit a Rover Mini body without fiddling around. I might go for the FWD one, but having to have to buy spares from scratch again is a big PITA. I read it is hard to get a hold of spares for this car..
Old 06-04-2015, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
... The guys that do it here just build them just to build them to run a bit and eventually they get put away on a shelf somewhere.
This sounds like 99% of my RC collection.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:11 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hprt
This sounds like 99% of my RC collection.
Hoarder! I've heard the stories.

(I may hit you up for some parts this coming race season.)
Old 06-05-2015, 02:00 AM
Tech Adept

There's 2 or 3 guys at my local club who run FD Sabres with Tamiya Mini bodies fitted. The Sabre is pretty much untouchable even in 2wd unless they break. The steering seems to be the weak point even with the alloy hop ups, I think a flanged bearing fails.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:37 AM
Tech Initiate

Because of #2, there aren't many situations where a 4WD class is offered. You have a nice, expensive car with nowhere to race. Since you'll have to spend almost as much for one of these as a good TC, most opt for a TC.
Iīm sorry, I should have made myself clearer.

I thougt we were talking about 2wd Minis from other manufacturers, I wasnīt refering to 4 wd Minis.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Drachenschorsch
Iīm sorry, I should have made myself clearer.

I thougt we were talking about 2wd Minis from other manufacturers, I wasnīt refering to 4 wd Minis.
That's fine, but I will admit to some head scratching.

It did make me think about this other point about the FWD Minis from other manufacturers. PLEASE NOTE, THAT THE FOLLOWING is just an opinion and is not a frontal, sideways or rear attack on anyone or any car maker. Nor is it a personal comment on anyone's mental capacity or sanity. Some of this is from personal experience having been on the organizing end of a couple of Mini series. Believe me, what an ungrateful task that is cause everyone can do it better and you're an anal sphincter if you don't do everything like they want you to. Not realizing that two others screamed at you for not doing it the other way-----2 minutes ago.

First, it's tough getting enough Minis to run. "You guys do it and if it looks like fun, I might join you". JC, don't do me any favors. You're the typical jerk who'll run a couple of times and quit when you don't win. But, I digress. If you have a new program with 8 Tamiya Minis and one guy has a TOP car and laps the field, you won't have 8 guys running out to buy a TOP. They'll just stop entering. So, if you want your series to stay alive, you'll not let the TOP run.

I gravitated to the Minis from TC for a number of reasons. The main one was the purchasing of a new car and the attendant "spares" every year or so. I liked the fact that you could buy one car and run it for years. My present "race car" is over 10 years old-----no, there isn't an original part on it. The rear bumper might be an original part. If you had other Minis running this situation would not exist.

I like Spec racing. Everyone is running the same basic car and how you do depends on driving and tuning skills. Makes for good close racing which is the most fun.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

All interesting points, that I agree with.

I do have a TOP Sabre 4WD, and absolutely love it. I do run it at a (somewhat) local track, but as far as racing it, nope. There just isn't a class for it. We are trying to get a class together at our club, we have enough interested people (about 5-7 total who have cars ready to go), but just haven't got approval from our club (yet).
Old 06-05-2015, 11:32 AM
Tech Elite

eR1c- Does your 4WD Sabre come with body posts to fit the Tamiya Rover Mini body?
Old 06-05-2015, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

eR1c- Does your 4WD Sabre come with body posts to fit the Tamiya Rover Mini body?
Uh, ...my Sabre 4WD has 1 set of body posts, ...it didn't come with ones specifically for the Tamiya Rover ...or if they were specifically for the Tamiya Rover I was unaware of that. ...Not sure I totally follow what your asking? I don't have a Tam Rover body but if you give me dimensions I am willing to measure anything for you.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

...I am running the HPI Datsun 510 body on my Sabre (this is the body that was originally made for the HPI Cup Racer). (not that that helps you in any way, but just sharing what body I am running on it).
Old 06-05-2015, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by eR1c
Uh, ...my Sabre 4WD has 1 set of body posts, ...it didn't come with ones specifically for the Tamiya Rover ...or if they were specifically for the Tamiya Rover I was unaware of that. ...Not sure I totally follow what your asking? I don't have a Tam Rover body but if you give me dimensions I am willing to measure anything for you.
Thanks for confirming, eR1c! That's what I wanted to know.

I guess I will opt for the FWD one in this case. Thanks for your offer to help measure for me, but that is not necessary.

Now I need to find out which pieces break on the FWD Sabre's..
Old 06-05-2015, 04:51 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by axle182
A lot of us would love to GP, would we still be eligible with no local TCS?
Originally Posted by Granpa
AJ, I did a quick skim of the rules and did not see anything that rules your participation out. You do have to have a TCS Drivers license, but I have a feeling that's a formality taken care of upon entry to a Regional TCS event. You could probably find one closer to you than the ones in Southern Calif.

I'm not the most knowledgeable on this segment of the rules, but I believe that you have to run a Regional before you can enter the Finals. It's probably a good idea anyway as navigating thru tech can be "tricky" even for a veteran. I had to rebuild the whole front end of my car a few years ago, even tho the car had gone thru tech the year before. I preferred to call it "creative engineering" rather than illegal modifications.

I, for one, would love to see a Canadian contingent participate. Especially one that didn't resemble a factory sponsored team. I used to wonder why the Canadian Tamiya guy would hover over the Canadian racers. Didn't know he was paying for their trip. I'm sort of oblivious to this sort of thing.

The best route would be to communicate with them directly.
A Canadian resident can come down and compete in any of the US regional events, win event, win prizes and raffles, etc. However, participation in these events does not qualify for eligibility in the Tamiya NA Finals event, unfortunately.
This is because Borgfeldt (Tamiya Canada) dropped their own TCS series and support for their winners to compete in the Tamiya NA Final and Worlds Events. In the past, the winners of the Canadian National event were supported to compete in the Tamiya NA Finals hosted here in California, and were also supported if they won the trip to Japan.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:33 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Sakadachi, I think you'll find that, generally, body posts won't be located exactly in the right spot from one car brand to another. EG: On the Xevo, the rears are very close to stock Tamiya, the fronts, completely different. On my ABC Genetic, I think they were completely different, but I was able to modify things to make them work. It's just drilling a few holes anyway. No biggy.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Sakadachi, I think you'll find that, generally, body posts won't be located exactly in the right spot from one car brand to another. EG: On the Xevo, the rears are very close to stock Tamiya, the fronts, completely different. On my ABC Genetic, I think they were completely different, but I was able to modify things to make them work. It's just drilling a few holes anyway. No biggy.
Hummm. I suppose we have to thank HPI for going the extra mile to do it right.

I dont want to drill extra holes in my Rover Mini body as they come pre-drilled.
I guess I will have some fiddling around to do.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.