Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 05-28-2015, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Anyone interesting in seeing any updates on this
+1/Me!

...also, what is that tool set you have in the back ground of the photo? I like how it has what looks like a case and cut outs for each tool. More info on that please.

---
Buying from a local store,
I live near San Francisco, CA. You'd think w/ a million people we'd have at least 1 decent hobby store. Sadly the closest stores are at least an hour plus drive away w/o traffic. ...2 hours w/ traffic. Hard to get time away from wife/kids/work to always get to a store. Our best store is primarily a doll house store w/ a corner dedicated to RC stuff ...mostly Traxxas and RTR stuff. All very generic. So I order 99% of my parts. I try to order from USA stores primarily ...AMain Hobbies and TQRRacing are my fav's lately.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

eR1c- I've seen those tool cases carried around by RC heli/plane crowd.
And yeah, most of my local stores only carry Traxxas mostly too.

Originally Posted by filippimini
Thanks for all the tips guys. I'll keep practicing and experimenting.
That's the only way to go! GL at the races.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

Okay Back to the Ball Diffs

I did an autopsy on both of the troubled Ball Diffs whiles I was waiting on the storms arrival
this evening , which never came in my district, so all was quiet
I took apart the two Ball Diffs in question and tried to retighten (lock) them up
Which I couldn't get them to my desired torqueness (Is that even a word?)
Anyway,
It seems that the plastic hoogienoogie that holds the airplane nut in the axel
cracked (hairline!) on both. Which explains why they got so loose all of a sudden.

So now my question to the net is

Is there a metal replacement for this hoogienoogie, or do I have to go back with the
damn plastic and hope that no further hairlines develop???
Old 05-28-2015, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

I though you were using the TA03 ball diff? If so, which part are you referring as the hoogienoogie? Because I've built those before and they did not have the diff nut holder in the axle.

Or are you talking about the M05 ball diff?

Have you considered just locking the diff using the bevel diff and maybe a lock for the rear CC01 diff? I think if you trim them you can make it fit.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

Okay its not a problem of making them fit
If you read my post there is a plastic piece that holds the airplane nut in place while you
tighten up the diff
Thats the piece that developed the hairline fractures preventing me from locking them up
Old 05-28-2015, 09:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
If you read my post there is a plastic piece that holds the airplane nut in place while you
tighten up the diff
Thats the piece that developed the hairline fractures preventing me from locking them up
That sounds more like the M05 diff. It's been years since I've built one of those, but I think the 416 diff screw comes with a metal piece that replaces he plastic nut holder for the nylock nut. That particular diff is not meant to be run "tight" and is more like the diff in a Touring car.

The reason most of us went to the TA03 ball diff or an aftermarket gear diff is so we could run a tighter diff. You don't need to get new diffs cause the M05 diff with a 416 crew works really well. You can't just crank down on that sucker and need to run it loose. Unless you're running on a tight carpet track, you'll be okay.

My friend Laguna Bozo does well with one of those diff, but he's greasy smooth with his driving technique. Unless you're looking for the last tenth or so, just clean it up, check the thrust bearing and really clean that, and reassemble with a 416 diff screw. It doe start running "rough" much quicker than the other diffs, but it should give you good service.

I got the impression you were using a TA03 diff, so sorry if i misled you
Old 05-28-2015, 10:01 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
tighten up the diff
I read your post correctly, but you have the M05 diff as grandpa mentioned above. I thought you changed to the TA03 diff because you snapped the tightening bolt on the M05 diff.

I've not seen a metal nut holder thingie though. I know which part you are referring to. I think if you need a super stiff diff, the TA03 or the MantaRay diff would be more your style, but at that point you're not making much diff action anyway. How about you just lock it and get it over with?
Old 05-29-2015, 03:24 AM
Tech Elite

Sorry I should have been more specific
Yes its the diff for the M05 (Golddusts car) that we've been having problems with
I really did not Lock it down in the true sense, but got it tight according to his style
The TA03 diff hasn't given us any troubles at all!
Old 05-29-2015, 04:26 AM
Tech Elite

No problem! TQRacing has that TRF416 diff screw and nut set in stock that grandpa mentioned. $5.99

I just did a quick search.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:47 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I was using the Tamiya ball diff. Ran the car for years without issue. When it stripped everyone was like "oh yea those strip all the time." I definitely don't race enough.

KA2AEV thanks for the info.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jiml
I definitely don't race enough.
I have to agree with you, I gotta get out and run more laps!!!
Old 05-29-2015, 07:59 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by eR1c
...also, what is that tool set you have in the back ground of the photo? I like how it has what looks like a case and cut outs for each tool. More info on that please.
Looks like the TRF Tool Set in red #49292 with a few additions.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:04 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by eR1c
+1/Me!

Originally Posted by marcos graveyar
Looks like the TRF Tool Set in red #49292 with a few additions.
Correct. Some additions, and one replaced with a blue handled tool (...)... and good luck finding one. They went discontinued something like 10 years ago.
http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/tools...et-(red)-49292
Old 05-29-2015, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by EricP
Correct. Some additions, and one replaced with a blue handled tool (...)... and good luck finding one. They went discontinued something like 10 years ago.
http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/tools...et-(red)-49292
How much was the set? It almost looks like it doesn't come with the pliers and such?

Anyway nice set you have there. I recently ordered a few MIP hex wrench driver bits (for my electric driver) because people were raving about MIP. Will see how good they REALLY are especially vs Wiha's I've been using the last few decades.

I also have a few TRF hex wrenches with handles as well. Those have been good. I am a nut for tools, given that my other hobby is modding real cars.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I love that red tamiya set of tools ...sweet!
discountinued,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.