Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 05-25-2015, 06:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
Really like the small heat guns. Did not know that something like these were available.

I prefer using Windex under the decals cause I'm not very good at placing the decals. I can shift it and it will give a second try if you'r off a bit and have not done the final heating of the decal.
I do dry install on RC decals. What helps me the most is using bent fine tip tweezers to position the decals. If I need to reposition, I turn the tweezer tip away from me to pull up the decal. This prevents damaged to the decal.

Another trick I use on long pieces like window trim and pin stripes is I pick up the decal using tweezers, then use my pinky to static pickup the other end of the decal (non sticky side) so that I can keep the decal away from sticking to the body.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

... So, Father's Day is coming up and guess what I asked for? (Monte Carlo Mini M05)

I just want the body to paint in the dark blue/white combo I always wanted. Going to keep the kit un-assembled for my kid. He can have one of my many Rover bodies I have and swap tires to 60D's when he's ready to buy it off me.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
My wife has told me that describing my balls on the internet is inappropriate and I should stop.
Because this is my 20th year of Marrage, I'll bow to your Wifes wishes (they all know better than we do)
and drop the subject
Happy Wife Happy Life
Old 05-25-2015, 09:50 AM
Tech Elite

Sounds good KA2AEV.

I've been with my wife for over 20yrs too. Happy wife is a good thing.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sakadachi
I do dry install on RC decals. What helps me the most is using bent fine tip tweezers to position the decals. If I need to reposition, I turn the tweezer tip away from me to pull up the decal. This prevents damaged to the decal.

Another trick I use on long pieces like window trim and pin stripes is I pick up the decal using tweezers, then use my pinky to static pickup the other end of the decal (non sticky side) so that I can keep the decal away from sticking to the body.
As in all things, we have our own way of doing things. In your mind, your technique is superior, which may be true. I prefer using Windex cause it's more forgiving and lets me put the decal on the body and move it around to see where it works best. Then the decal can be placed in the proper position and then tacked down. Doing it dry only gives you one shot. If I were painting one body over and over and over again as you seem to, and knew exactly where the positioning of each decal was, I probably would not bother with the Windex either.

Whether you do the decals dry like the professionals do, or use a crutch like I do, those little heat guns you brought to our attention will make life a lot easier. Thank you for that.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

As in all things, we have our own way of doing things. In your mind, your technique is superior, which may be true. I prefer using Windex cause it's more forgiving and lets me put the decal on the body and move it around to see where it works best. Then the decal can be placed in the proper position and then tacked down. Doing it dry only gives you one shot. If I were painting one body over and over and over again as you seem to, and knew exactly where the positioning of each decal was, I probably would not bother with the Windex either.
That's how I've done decaling for umpteen years, Windex, then blow dryer
Old 05-25-2015, 06:56 PM
Tech Elite

Whether you do the decals dry like the professionals do, or use a crutch like I do, those little heat guns you brought to our attention will make life a lot easier. Thank you for that.
I was merely sharing how I apply decals. I been using this technique for decades on all sorts of different bodies, not just the Rover Mini. Until I push down on the decal to commit, the decal will come off without damage using dry installation.

I can understand Dawn soapy solution for wet installation, I use that technique on clearbra (real car), tint, and some vinyls, but Windex? really?

Like Armorall, car guys don't use Windex for even glass or stove tops...!!
Windex leaves behind residue and that blue color stain in the nooks.. But whatever works, right?
Old 05-25-2015, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sakadachi
I was merely sharing how I apply decals. I been using this technique for decades on all sorts of different bodies, not just the Rover Mini. Until I push down on the decal to commit, the decal will come off without damage using dry installation.

I can understand Dawn soapy solution for wet installation, I use that technique on clearbra (real car), tint, and some vinyls, but Windex? really?

Like Armorall, car guys don't use Windex for even glass or stove tops...!!
Windex leaves behind residue and that blue color stain in the nooks.. But whatever works, right?
Okay, I've just had my fill of your smug superior attitude. Do you really think that everything you do or think is better than anyone else's. Or do you just come across that way. Yes, I use Windex and you can do your and your BS all you want, but Windex works for me and you can put that in an area of your anatomy and push it up till it plugs your ears.

And while I'm at it, this is the Mini thread and not your Facebook page. Do you really think that you're so interesting that nearly 600 posts in less than 4 months-----. I really don't give a tinkers damn what you ordered or what color you painted your last body. Found a new way to build a zero rebound shock????? I'll listen. Ordered a new battery and some parts for your XXXX. Don't need to post it. Found a battery that outperforms the existing ones. We'll all pay attention. Just like posting the small heat guns-----.

Another thing, do you think that trying to take me down or denigrating a technique I've been using for many years with some success make you look better. Just think of how much better it would have come across if you had suggested using Dawn or another soap solution instead of using or
You wouldn't have pissed me off and I might have even tried it. I used to use green soap until I retired from dentistry.

Frankly, I can see why you run on your own private track by yourself. If you don't race anyone, you'll always the best. I'm a really patient guy and in all the time I've been around, you're the first guy who's pissed me off enough to rest in this way.

I resent the fact that you somehow managed to make me react in this way. My apologies to anyone else that this post may have offended. You've been needling me or displayed this smug, arrogant attitude towards me in prior posts, but I've let those slide. This last one was open and overt and I've had enough.:flamin g:
Old 05-25-2015, 08:12 PM
Tech Elite

Okay, I've just had my fill of your smug superior attitude. Do you really think that everything you do or think is better than anyone else's. Or do you just come across that way. Yes, I use Windex and you can do your and your BS all you want, but Windex works for me and you can put that in an area of your anatomy and push it up till it plugs your ears.

And while I'm at it, this is the Mini thread and not your Facebook page. Do you really think that you're so interesting that nearly 600 posts in less than 4 months-----. I really don't give a tinkers damn what you ordered or what color you painted your last body. Found a new way to build a zero rebound shock????? I'll listen. Ordered a new battery and some parts for your XXXX. Don't need to post it. Found a battery that outperforms the existing ones. We'll all pay attention. Just like posting the small heat guns-----.

Another thing, do you think that trying to take me down or denigrating a technique I've been using for many years with some success make you look better. Just think of how much better it would have come across if you had suggested using Dawn or another soap solution instead of using or
You wouldn't have pissed me off and I might have even tried it. I used to use green soap until I retired from dentistry.

Frankly, I can see why you run on your own private track by yourself. If you don't race anyone, you'll always the best. I'm a really patient guy and in all the time I've been around, you're the first guy who's pissed me off enough to rest in this way.

I resent the fact that you somehow managed to make me react in this way. My apologies to anyone else that this post may have offended. You've been needling me or displayed this smug, arrogant attitude towards me in prior posts, but I've let those slide. This last one was open and overt and I've had enough.:flamin g:
I don't know why you get so defensive with everything I post. I think you're just reading my posts all wrong. I am a very friendly guy. Put me in your ignore list and we can co-exist in peace. I have no hate towards you.

I have my basement track because it is convenient. RC car hobby is not just about racing or competition. I like watching my scale cars drive around the track. I love cars. Real cars, RC cars, static models, photo's, posters, etc.

I use to race RC every weekend. The boxes of tires and many motors + parts I still have are proof. It was a lot of fun, but does not work well with my current schedule. Plus only being able to drive my cars 1-2 days out of the week on a track is not enough fun. In fact, I'm heading down to my basement right now as I did some tweaks on my M03 earlier in the day and want to test it some more now that my kids are in bed.

Good luck to you, granpa. I don't mean it in a smart-ass way.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hug it out.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:53 AM
Tech Elite

Hug it out.
Nah, no thanks.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:20 AM
Tech Elite

Hug it out.
Sure!

We share the same hobby. I dont see why we need to be bitter.
*big bear hug to granpa*
Old 05-26-2015, 07:44 AM
Tech Elite

First rule of RCTech Mini thread is that Granpa is the big dog. His word is law. And if you disagree, he will passive-aggressive you to death.

Hence why I don't waste my effort posting on here any more. Thanks to Granpa, I choose to keep the secrets of my championship-winning cars to myself, because if it isn't relevant to his track and his preferences, it isn't relevant to anyone else either.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

LOL...
Old 05-26-2015, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sosidge
First rule of RCTech Mini thread is that Granpa is the big dog. His word is law. And if you disagree, he will passive-aggressive you to death.

Hence why I don't waste my effort posting on here any more. Thanks to Granpa, I choose to keep the secrets of my championship-winning cars to myself, because if it isn't relevant to his track and his preferences, it isn't relevant to anyone else either.
sosidge - This isn't granpa's forum and I have things I would like to contribute too, so I encourage you to do the same as it gets boring reading his aggressive undermining posts. I read like a sentence of his post and start skimming the rest because it's all the same. Just continues to degrade people's experiences and knowledge.

You know there are MANY modelers out there that play with RC for their own personal enjoyment. I want to contribute to those people.

Racers can talk about the mechanics, etc. That's great info. I like reading about those stuff and applying it if it appears to be something that could benefit me as well.

I'm not going to just shut up because there's a bully here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.