Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 05-07-2015, 11:39 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sakadachi
I'm sure that 10grams is a night/day difference!

Boons- While my M03 does not wander with a silver can running 210mm wheel base, I'd try the 1 degree toe-in on the rear as well.

Also a tad more toe out might help too on the front. Is that wandering during on/off throttle or just full throttle?
HI
How Much rear toe in is everyone's using on M03?
Old 05-07-2015, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OVA
HI
Actually, I'd suggested for Boons to go with 1 degree blocks cause he was happy with the handling of his car with O degree blocks, except for a tracking issue on the straights.

Almost all of the guys seem to use the 1.5 or 2 degree blocks, depending on track conditions and the particular set of tires. This is on outdoor asphalt and the track will change from day to day and sometimes from hour to hour.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:59 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
Actually, I'd suggested for Boons to go with 1 degree blocks cause he was happy with the handling of his car with O degree blocks, except for a tracking issue on the straights.

Almost all of the guys seem to use the 1.5 or 2 degree blocks, depending on track conditions and the particular set of tires. This is on outdoor asphalt and the track will change from day to day and sometimes from hour to hour.
Thanks....
Old 05-07-2015, 02:46 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hey guys. I'm having a look around for a Xevo Chariot or Triumph. Looking for the kit pieces or stripped down rollers only. (unless you want to sell me your fully built and tuned race demon cheap) If you see anything, let me know. I had one, I screwed it up and I need to try again.

Also wondering what 4wd M chassis kits (not the Tamiya one) are still available. Can't see a lot of current product out there.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Also wondering what 4wd M chassis kits (not the Tamiya one) are still available. Can't see a lot of current product out there.
eR1c had a nice CupRacer for sale a few weeks ago, but I think you scared him off when you went on about keeping this tread specific to Tamiya M-series chassis?
Old 05-07-2015, 05:12 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OVA
HI
On my M03, I'm running the factory rear uprights. But I do recommend toe-in 1-2 degrees for additional straight line stability if you are running a large course.

That's what I ran 15 yrs ago while M03's were pretty normal at the races.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

This isn't eR1c's but a new CupRacer for sale...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-Nissa...item27fee7d3c5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Cup-Race...item1c525c19cf

You'll probably want to buy another kit though for parts availability sake.. I'm getting a second M-Four pretty soon; actually going to order a couple of them and just stash them away.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:50 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sakadachi
eR1c had a nice CupRacer for sale a few weeks ago, but I think you scared him off when you went on about keeping this tread specific to Tamiya M-series chassis?
Nah, he's been around. It's just a long tradition on this thread to keep it specific. Even the M06 went and got it's own thread, even though it didn't have to.

Not sure how I feel about the Cup Racer. Discontinued, isn't it?

Jim
Old 05-08-2015, 03:44 AM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Thanks guys.

The wandering around is on full throttle only, I'll be half way down the straight and it'll just decide to vere off one way or the other, really annoying as you then tend to go a bit gingerly after that

I know I've got some M05 stock 2 degree hubs in my box, I'm racing tonight so I'll stick them on and see if it helps

Thank you
Old 05-08-2015, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Boons
Thanks guys.

The wandering around is on full throttle only, I'll be half way down the straight and it'll just decide to vere off one way or the other, really annoying as you then tend to go a bit gingerly after that

I know I've got some M05 stock 2 degree hubs in my box, I'm racing tonight so I'll stick them on and see if it helps

Thank you
The symptoms you describe are usually due to steering actuation issues. The most common is the servo saver for problems. If you are using the #54120 aluminum horn, I've tried that particular combo and had the same problems you are. It also affected the trim and would not hold a consistent setting. The # 84081 is the black aluminum horn and I have no personal experience with that.

The other is a bad servo, which will give you similar symptoms.

I had the bright idea once of shimming out all the play in the steering. Big mistake. It made the car very twitchy, if that's a word, that seemed to hop all over the place with absolutely no input from me.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Nah, he's been around. It's just a long tradition on this thread to keep it specific. Even the M06 went and got it's own thread, even though it didn't have to.

Not sure how I feel about the Cup Racer. Discontinued, isn't it?

Jim
Oh I see.

CupRacer has been discontinued for a while now, yes. But you can still get parts for them especially overseas in UK. I have one and been gathering parts for it the last month or two. Hope to get it back into service soon. I can say that the M-Four is a better car all together though if you don't mind the odd-ball sized motor and Lipo. Great for my bashing at home. So light weight the 380 SportTuned is plenty fast.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

It only makes sense to keep the threads specific. Most people who visit here do so to research the Tamiya Minis. I believe that the Rover Mini Cooper body was the only one available at the inception of this thread, hence the name. Since that time many bodies became available and the thread evolved into the discussion of the various Tamiya Minis and HPI, ABC, and Atomics developed their own threads.

There was a discussion a number of years ago about the inclusion of the various 4WD mini conversions in this thread. At the time, someone correct me if I'm wrong, it was decided that those would be okay. They were pretty much an oddity then and never achieved any popularity, which is pretty much the situation today.

The Tamiya 4WD car probably should start their own thread, primarily due to the fact that it is so different and unusual compared to the "regular" Mini models. The only one I've seen is owned by an A Main caliber driver and one of the most ingenious modelers around. His opinion, not mine, was that "out of the box" the car was not very good. It took him several weeks to develop the chassis to his satisfaction. It did look much better after his work, but the Atomic was turning much faster lap times. The ABC and HPI cars were much slower. But these were from a race where these cars were allowed on the Tamiya track and comparing those times to what the Tamiya version could do. This evaluation on where the Tamiya 4WD car is in relation to the others is based strictly on observed lap times w/out factoring in the track conditions when the times were set.

Since we're off on a tangent here, I'd like to make something clear. My posts are primarily aimed at the newer Mini guy. To some of those who've frequented this thread for awhile, you could not have not noticed that there often is a boring sameness to them. There is to me when I'm doing the posting. The problems and the questions are often the same, so the answers will be the same. My goal is to get them started with a reliable set up and a philosophy on how to develop their skills. Also, I try to include why these changes, etc work. To some of the more veteran Mini devotees, a lot of my stuff is grade school level----just basic, common sense material. The post graduate stuff, I keep to myself, mainly cause it can be confusing and I'm not a talented enough wordsmith to communicate some concepts.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Granpa
The only one I've seen is owned by an A Main caliber driver and one of the most ingenious modelers around. His opinion, not mine, was that "out of the box" the car was not very good. It took him several weeks to develop the chassis to his satisfaction. It did look much better after his work, but the Atomic was turning much faster lap times. The ABC and HPI cars were much slower. But these were from a race where these cars were allowed on the Tamiya track and comparing those times to what the Tamiya version could do. This evaluation on where the Tamiya 4WD car is in relation to the others is based strictly on observed lap times w/out factoring in the track conditions when the times were set.
The M-Four does very well and that's what matters to me. I like it a lot. For bashing at home and around the parking lot, AWD is the way to go. FWD is fun, but really depends on the surface to get the car to go fast.

There is a M-Four thread btw. Check it out. Lot's of good info in there!
Old 05-09-2015, 11:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Jim. Have you considered the Atomic?
Old 05-09-2015, 01:10 PM
Tech Elite

Speaking of traction for my V2 and M03/M05, I recently changed all the low pile carpeting to rubber runners on my basement track. Good traction with 60D and no crap build up on the treads ( the reason for change). One application of blackdot for the first run only.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.