Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 04-19-2015, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Np Granpa, let's just be friends!
Sokay. Friends are good. Can't ever have to many of those. Just can't treat them all the same. I tend to tell it like I see it and forget some are just more sensitive than others. I don't have an ego, so forget sometimes that others do. This unfortunately does not ingratiate me to some.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
Sokay. Friends are good. Can't ever have to many of those. Just can't treat them all the same. I tend to tell it like I see it and forget some are just more sensitive than others. I don't have an ego, so forget sometimes that others do. This unfortunately does not ingratiate me to some.
I treat my friends the way they treat me. Glad to have you aboard!
Old 04-20-2015, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Looks like my shorty is coming in today.

So that you guys can welcome me to year 2013..
A few more yrs to catch up..

Anyway, will be converting the battery holder on my V2 tonight. Should have by brushless later in the week.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Old 04-21-2015, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

So I got my NanoTech shorty yesterday and installed the aluminum battery tie downs on my V2.

Are you guys using some real narrow fiber reinforced tape cause I could only tape the battery on one side of the chassis. No way to fit my low voltage buzzer either.. not that it matters since I already know I can get three 9min runs with 4200mAh.

I gave it a run with new 60D's mounted. Nice and fast with my silver can. I could tell that the left/right balance is better than the standard round 2S.

My 21.5 turn arrived so will install it tonight.

If anyone can point me to a store with the V2 chassis for my M05 in-stock, please do.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by OSherman
Wrong style of Jimny, Tamiya say it will be the JB23 style body so probably more like

Old 04-22-2015, 03:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

. not that it matters since I already know I can get three 9min runs with 4200mAh.
Wow! I wonder if that is because of the silver can?? I use about 1600mah in a 6min heat with the Hobbywing 13T brushless system. That equals about 7200 for 3 x 9min runs.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Sith Lord
Wow! I wonder if that is because of the silver can?? I use about 1600mah in a 6min heat with the Hobbywing 13T brushless system. That equals about 7200 for 3 x 9min runs.
Hi Sith! I think it can be a lot of things including the silver can as you mentioned, as it generates A LOT of heat. I run my batteries down to no more than 3.79v, so I can technically run them longer but prefer not to.

Also my track is very small, and my ESC is the TLBE02S so probably not as efficient as your setup?

I hooked up my new Reedy Sonic 21.5T last night. My first brushless motor. Welcome me to year 2010.. I tried it first with the 16teeth pinion and boy was it slow. Tried the 20teeth and it's about as fast as my silver can, maybe.

I advanced the timing to '40' (20 degrees?) just to see how much faster it can get. It was noticeably faster, but I still think my silver can with Granpa's Voodoo drops is faster. In addition, I noticed power drop-out between off throttle and mild throttle input for a fraction of a second so I checked my ESC for heat build up. ESC's heatsink was burning up so dialed it back to '30'. Seems to be a good medium between smoothness and power for my TBLE02S and Sonic combo.

The motor runs very cool and run time has extended as power consumption is less than the silver can.

Will play with the timing more also with my throttle exponential on my 4PKS-R to get the smoothness I want.

All in all, I'm glad I tried this experiment. Next up is getting a nicer ESC, I suppose.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:48 AM
Tech Elite

Played with my 21.5t ReedySonic's throttle curve on my 4PKS-R last night. I thought maybe my sensor wire was bad because there is like barely no throttle output between about 20%-50% trigger pull. It makes it nearly undrivable on my soso traction course.

I swapped sensor wires and reset the TBLE02S ESC and went on with the programming. This is what I ended up with.

On my silver can I basically use a linear throttle curve, maybe a slight negative expo. This new curve pretty much matches what the silver can was doing. So much work for not a whole lot from a 21.5 turn brushless. A good experiment for me, but if I had a choice to race with either a silver can or a 21.5turn, I would run silver can.

Hope this curve helps others that might be having similar issues.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:22 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Silver cans are nice and smooth but the instant torque from BL will win you over in the long run.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Silver cans are nice and smooth but the instant torque from BL will win you over in the long run.
Thanks for the encouragement, monkeyracing!! I will play with it more to familiarize myself. I like that the motor runs very cool. No need for heatsink. I have about 8 degrees advanced on the Sonic.

Is the throttle curve I came up with pretty typical of what others are seeing? It was like my car had super latency in the throttle response until I figured out I needed to boost the voltage early in the throttle curve. Maybe this was what grandpa was seeing at the TCS where it appeared drivers were overpowering through the course with the 21.5t. It was the sudden surge of power around 60% with almost a flat spot between 20-50% throttle..
Old 04-24-2015, 12:03 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I've never messed with throttle curve. The spec motors we run here tend to be very linear, if a little coggy. Unsure of what the TCS crew experienced, but I'd suspect the combination of torque with the added top end from the cranked timing might've been a bit much. They run a pretty big track at Tamiya, with lots of room to pick up speed.

Anyway, keep the timing reasonable and it will run cool and run longer.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:30 PM
Tech Elite

I see. I will be playing with my car a bit more. Could be that the TBLE02S I'm running is not that great too. Oh well.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Is the throttle curve I came up with pretty typical of what others are seeing? It was like my car had super latency in the throttle response until I figured out I needed to boost the voltage early in the throttle curve...
You may be noticing a difference in drive frequency between the two ESCs instead of a difference in the motors.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by howardcano
You may be noticing a difference in drive frequency between the two ESCs instead of a difference in the motors.
I see. Does that mean I should be running a Reedy ESC because I am running a Reedy motor? ie: Would that sync better to each other?

I noticed a lot of manufacturers sell motor and ESC as a package.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.