Like Tree215Likes

Tamiya mini cooper


Old 04-14-2015, 07:34 AM
  #23371  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 27
Default

Okay, What us each M series chassis like, pros, cons, general info
And is it still in production, and what is the real price.
Thanks I just want to get the right one, it seems some favor the M05 and some favor the M03
I think is that I would like to always be able to get parts for whatever car I get (Three years at least)
Jamesd848 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:47 AM
  #23372  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,276
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Jamesd848 View Post
Okay, What us each M series chassis like, pros, cons, general info
And is it still in production, and what is the real price.
Thanks I just want to get the right one, it seems some favor the M05 and some favor the M03
I think is that I would like to always be able to get parts for whatever car I get (Three years at least)
That's a lot of work you ask, James. Please read this thread from the very beginning for all your answers! hahaha!

If you want to buy new for bashing, M05 is fine. If you don't want to spend much money, check ebay for used M03's, M05's. Both are different, yet similar in behavior when compared to the V2.

If you want no-fuss, I suggest you start with the V2. It will cost more in the beginning, but at the end I think it will pay off.

If you want AWD and only plan to run 210mm wheel base, I highly recommend you check out the TA05 M-Four. This is by far a HUGE improvement over all the M-chassis I've had and had a chance to drive. Never mind the 380 motor, it is much faster than any of the M-chassis with the stock 540 silver can.

It is far better than the old HPI MiniRS4's, far better than the Roadrunners. I want to try the Atom some day.
sakadachi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:54 AM
  #23373  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
kaiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: new milford ct
Posts: 1,688
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by sakadachi View Post
What do you guys think of the ABC 210mm's?

They also have FWD and RWD.

My basement track has only moderate traction so the MFour does extremely well. Like RWD, I can power rotate the rear of the car mid-turn and have AWD acceleration during exit.

Extreme TC driving with a Rover Mini body.
I ran the genetic 4wd for a couple of seasons and loved it, by far it was the fastest car on our track. i'd give the fwd a shot if i were in the market for a new mini for sure.

and FWIW i'd take a m03 over a m05 any day.
kaiser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 09:16 AM
  #23374  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,276
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
I ran the genetic 4wd for a couple of seasons and loved it, by far it was the fastest car on our track. i'd give the fwd a shot if i were in the market for a new mini for sure.

and FWIW i'd take a m03 over a m05 any day.
That's cool. Were these discontinued? I don't see their line up any more..

I want AWD for my track.
sakadachi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:00 AM
  #23375  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (10)
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SnowMexico
Posts: 6,161
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

M03 - tough and simple, with only a few part numbers that separate them from every other mini out there. 50792 - chassis, 50793 - body posts, etc. Both are frequently available on eBay or from online stores. I recently bought each for $4. They're cheap enough to buy a few as spares. That will last you for years to come!
monkeyracing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:27 AM
  #23376  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
kaiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: new milford ct
Posts: 1,688
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by sakadachi View Post
That's cool. Were these discontinued? I don't see their line up any more..

I want AWD for my track.
i think they did, there was a rumor about a new chassis but that was over a year ago.

i wish the mfour accepted full sized electronics.

xpress makes a nice 4wd mini:
http://www.rcmart.com/xpress-mrr2pro...cPath=420_1177

the atomic is also nice:
http://www.rcmart.com/atomic-series-...cPath=420_1407
kaiser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:21 AM
  #23377  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,276
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
i think they did, there was a rumor about a new chassis but that was over a year ago.

i wish the mfour accepted full sized electronics.

xpress makes a nice 4wd mini:
http://www.rcmart.com/xpress-mrr2pro...cPath=420_1177

the atomic is also nice:
http://www.rcmart.com/atomic-series-...cPath=420_1407
Thanks Kaiser. Yah, I am wondering if ABC is re-doing the chassis to allow Lipo's now. Anyway, I've had the old RoadRunner and it was great, but I want to try something else mainly due to the fact that the parts broke/wore out quickly.

I think I will look into the Atomics next.

The MFour can use regular electronics besides the motor if you get the steering servo relocation kit from Tamiya. I didn't bother doing this because even if I used a shorty with higher mAh, the motor gets too hot anyways within 10min, so wanted to keep everything the lightest weight possible by running the smaller 2S and just limit my run time to 6.5min.

Also, there is plenty of room for a standard sized servo if you mount your receiver on top of it. I got the low profile S6070 (spektrum) but there was really no need. I could've just used my Futaba digital servo I already had. For my purpose the M-Four is perfect. I just want other 4WD m-chassis to play with in my tight track.
sakadachi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:26 AM
  #23378  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
kaiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: new milford ct
Posts: 1,688
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

lipos fit my genetic fine. i was using 4000mah turnigy's with the carbon brace.

i see a couple of used genetics on the bay, but they aren't cheap.

there were a few things about the car i didn't like, pillow ball's for one.
stock diffs were junk but the options diffs were cheap and worked great.
i ran it on a carpet oval with yeah racing foam tires, it was glued.
my buddy made a run at me with an ofna jle12 (or something like that) but he spent a ton of time on it and it was almost as good as the genetic.

i really want to try that atomic, but the mini racing has dried up around here.
kaiser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:35 AM
  #23379  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,276
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
lipos fit my genetic fine. i was using 4000mah turnigy's with the carbon brace.

i see a couple of used genetics on the bay, but they aren't cheap.

there were a few things about the car i didn't like, pillow ball's for one.
stock diffs were junk but the options diffs were cheap and worked great.
i ran it on a carpet oval with yeah racing foam tires, it was glued.
my buddy made a run at me with an ofna jle12 (or something like that) but he spent a ton of time on it and it was almost as good as the genetic.

i really want to try that atomic, but the mini racing has dried up around here.
Sounds good. And I did see a few selling used ones, but I think I want new.
Thanks for the input and tips on the work you did on your Genetics.

Yah, I don't do any competitive racing now, just screwing around my basement track and around the house with my kids. I have TC's but they are far too big and too fast for my tiny track, so these 1/12 scales are perfect. 1/18 is okay too, but I prefer the 1/12 size as I have more flexibility being able to drive outside in the parking lot too if I wanted.

Have you dealt with rcmart in person? How are they with delivery and customer service?
sakadachi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:45 AM
  #23380  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
kaiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: new milford ct
Posts: 1,688
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

rcmart (dinball on ebay) is fine. shipping can be slow.
i bought my abc's from abchobbyusa directly.
i've bought tons of stuff from rcmart over the years.
kaiser is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:29 PM
  #23381  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (10)
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SnowMexico
Posts: 6,161
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

In the interest of staying focused, there is a separate thread for the http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...05-m-four.html and threads for the other minis are out there, too.
monkeyracing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:58 PM
  #23382  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,276
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
rcmart (dinball on ebay) is fine. shipping can be slow.
i bought my abc's from abchobbyusa directly.
i've bought tons of stuff from rcmart over the years.
Thanks, kaiser. I will inquire abchobbyusa if they have any plans to release new 4WD's down the road. For now I am good with the M-Four. Thanks again!
sakadachi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:01 PM
  #23383  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
sakadachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 2,276
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
M03 - tough and simple, with only a few part numbers that separate them from every other mini out there. 50792 - chassis, 50793 - body posts, etc. Both are frequently available on eBay or from online stores. I recently bought each for $4. They're cheap enough to buy a few as spares. That will last you for years to come!
Where did you find the M03 chassis for $4, monkeyracing? The cheapest I saw in the USA was $13..

Also, anyone know where I can source the M03 aluminum servo mounts? I've been using the plastic factory ones + adding a long screw which made it fairly solid, but not as accurate as I want it to be.
sakadachi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:52 PM
  #23384  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
eR1c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,694
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

My 2cents on other 4wd mini's,

Hands down the TOP Sabre 4wd Mini is super nice and the best I've driven. I've owned several "true ten mini's" and TOP Sabre 4WD is the nicest in my opinion. It is expensive, but on par with top of the line 1/10th TC's.

Also I have a HPI Cup Racer on eBAy right now, -it is a 4wd mini. It handles much better than the Tamiya 2WD minis. I have a great price and it comes w/ a ton of extras ---okay that is my plug ...but had to shout it out since we're talking other Mini's right now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Cup-Race...item19fea8bd17

The Atomic lipo's (I think that is what they are called) are also nice, and the price is very competitive, but keep in mind that they have some issues and will need some upgraded parts to get the driving just right ...unless of course you only plan on bashing it and not racing it.

lots of options out there!
eR1c is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:32 PM
  #23385  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,367
Default

Originally Posted by sakadachi View Post
Where did you find the M03 chassis for $4, monkeyracing? The cheapest I saw in the USA was $13..

Also, anyone know where I can source the M03 aluminum servo mounts? I've been using the plastic factory ones + adding a long screw which made it fairly solid, but not as accurate as I want it to be.
3 Racing used to make one. I just used those from a Tamiya TC. I did have to use a 2mm spacer to drop the servo down a bit so it would clear the chassis. There was no measurable advantage to dropping the servo more than that-----tho that was a popular mod. The geometry worked better with the servo a bit higher.

Out of curiosity how accurate does it have to be???? Seems to me if you're not using a big Kimbrough servo saver, the inaccuracies in your steering can be traced to your servo saver rather than the servo mounts. Many of the Mini Mafia were using the plastic mounts on some of their cars. None of us used anything but a Kimbrough servo saver.

Another problem some people run into is spacing the servo down. This can lead to a less than solid mounting. There is absolutely no measurable advantage in doing this. The amount doing this will lower the CG is so minute, your time would be better spent currying the hairs in a gnats ass.
Granpa is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service