Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 03-27-2015, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
No secret. Just whatever silicone spray they sell at the auto parts store. It's cheap and given how little you'll use, a can will last generations. You can even use it for its intended purpose of treating rubber door seals on your real car!

Just ordered my first ever set of brand new axles. Weird, considering how long I've been doing this. While shopping, I found myself drooling over the big bore dampers. I think the word "shiny" is involved. My ancient TRF dampers (early 2000s?) are still perfect and get rebuilt every year, but there's always the nagging thought that the new thing might be better. I hate that!
Thanks, monkeyracing! Dang, I had no idea silicon spray could be used on my gears.

I saw those new big bore dampers too online. Cool stuff. If the current setup is working for you, I'd probably just continue using that.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:31 PM
Tech Elite

So I tried the rear spacers 0.7mm? on the rears on my M05. Slightly better. Also slight toe-out from what I had.. just enough that the car does not jiggle between on and off throttle. Not as effective but was definitely worth a try.

I still think I need the front end more solid. Will swap front damper pistons tomorrow and decide if I want to try the swaybar or not.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:00 PM
Tech Elite

Sakadachi
Don't let Monkeyracing fool you
I accidently found a secret weapon he uses in his cars to keep them running in one piece
Old 03-28-2015, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
Sakadachi
I accidently found a secret weapon he uses in his cars to keep them running in one piece
Hahaha!!!
Old 03-28-2015, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Okay, so I now have a M05 stabilizer set on order..
So close to where I want the car setup now..
Old 03-28-2015, 07:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Sakadachi
Smartass. No more help for you!

EDIT: Have any of you guys had a problem with a leaky 3Racing gear diff and did a new gasket fix it? I can't get mine to stop leaking out around the gasket side, even with 500,000wt fluid. This isn't even installed. Just sitting on the bench. The gasket looks okay, but isn't. I'd rather spend $3 on a new part than $30 on a whole new diff, y'know?

Last edited by monkeyracing; 03-28-2015 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:14 AM
Tech Elite

monkeyracing- Sorry, I can't help you on that since I don't run that diff. Is there a way you can shim it? Maybe a dab of Associated green grease?

So after doing all the taxes, I think I will have a few hundred left for me to use as allowance. I have a few ideas I want to do...but this budget will only allow me to do one. Please let me know what you would suggest:

1) Buy TA05 M-Four and R614FF-E. Servo, ECU, 6V battery will need to wait.
2) Get aluminum battery tie downs for my V2, Tekin ECU +21.5 turn, and 2 shorties, maybe a second charger.

I'm leaning towards #2..
Old 03-29-2015, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

monkeyracing- Would you please let me know which Robinson pinion to get for my V2?
I want both 21t and 18t.

I checked out their home page but I don't know which 'bore' I should be getting? I know Tamiya's pitch is weird vs HPI and others.

Please let me know which part number.

http://www.robinsonracing.com/catalog/catalog.html

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=monkeyracing;13930764]Smartass. No more help for you!

[ /QUOTE]

Hey. I didn't disclose what that supersecrect part is

Old 03-29-2015, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sakadachi
monkeyracing- Would you please let me know which Robinson pinion to get for my V2?
I want both 21t and 18t.

I checked out their home page but I don't know which 'bore' I should be getting? I know Tamiya's pitch is weird vs HPI and others.

Please let me know which part number.

http://www.robinsonracing.com/catalog/catalog.html

Thanks in advance.
Sakadachi, are you planning on running any tcs events? If you are, you're limited to
A 20t pinion. Guys correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they're 48 pitch
Old 03-29-2015, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Sakadachi, are you planning on running any tcs events? If you are, you're limited to
A 20t pinion. Guys correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they're 48 pitch
You're wrong. Minis use a Metric 0.6 pitch pinion, which is much different. Look, use a little common sense here. If you're not sure of what you are doing, stick with the Tamiya option parts and use the fluorine coated pinion. a little pricey, but they never seem to wear out and will give you good service for years. Jim's the expert on part #'s so he'll probably know this one. They do have a weak point tho and that is the sidewall on the pinion screw hole is a little thin, so if you use "gorilla" hands tightening the screw, you will strip it quickly cause the sidewall will distort. Just use a little loctite and cinch it firmly. You don't have to use it every time but an occasional dab of it will do the trick.

Also, since we're on the subject of gears, I've seen a # of posts on what to use on the tranny gears. Simple answer. [B]NOTHING. NOT ONE DAMNED THING.[B] Silicone spray, White lightning or other dry lubes, grasshopper snot, emu droppings, blah, blah, don't do anything to enhance performance. Run the gears dry for the best results.

Again, just one old man's opinion. If you disagree, that's okay. Opinions are like anal sphincters, we all have one.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

KA2AEV - Ooops, I meant to type 20t. I always buy the Tamiya pinions that come in packages of 20t and 21t so forgot which one I was using.

But I'm pretty sure the pitch on Tamiya gears is not a standard 48 pitch.

And no, I do not plan on attending any TCS or local race events. I'm going to be expanding my track in the basement this summer and laying down ozite carpeting and just race with my kids. I'm all for just having fun at my own pace now, no more competition. I'm sure my kid will probably want to race someday, so when that time comes I will just support him.

Originally Posted by Granpa
You're wrong. Minis use a Metric 0.6 pitch pinion, which is much different. Look, use a little common sense here. If you're not sure of what you are doing, stick with the Tamiya option parts and use the fluorine coated pinion. a little pricey, but they never seem to wear out and will give you good service for years. Jim's the expert on part #'s so he'll probably know this one. They do have a weak point tho and that is the sidewall on the pinion screw hole is a little thin, so if you use "gorilla" hands tightening the screw, you will strip it quickly cause the sidewall will distort. Just use a little loctite and cinch it firmly. You don't have to use it every time but an occasional dab of it will do the trick.

Also, since we're on the subject of gears, I've seen a # of posts on what to use on the tranny gears. Simple answer. [B]NOTHING. NOT ONE DAMNED THING.[B] Silicone spray, White lightning or other dry lubes, grasshopper snot, emu droppings, blah, blah, don't do anything to enhance performance. Run the gears dry for the best results.

Again, just one old man's opinion. If you disagree, that's okay. Opinions are like anal sphincters, we all have one.
granpa- Thank you! Huh, I was not aware Tamiya had hardened pinion gears. I have like 4-5 more standard 20 teeth but I go through them pretty quick, so wanted to see what other options are out there. I will definitely check them out.

About the other gears... My V2 had the factory ceramic grease originally, but it was completely dry by the time I opened it up after just shy of 3 months of driving. I was wondering if there is any trick to lengthen the life of the gears...? They were so worn and making LOUD noises..
Old 03-29-2015, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Tamiya 53509 (OP509) Hard Fluorine Coated 0.6 Aluminum Pinion (20T/F201)

But no USA vendors have them.
Not even Tamiya.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/product/it...oduct-id=53509
Old 03-29-2015, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

What's the resale on these cars? I've got a full bling s-limited m05 with an hpi miata body I'm considering parting with
Old 03-29-2015, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcjunky1
What's the resale on these cars? I've got a full bling s-limited m05 with an hpi miata body I'm considering parting with
I think it depends on what you've done to the car.
Post it up in the for sale section.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.