Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 03-22-2015, 08:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesJardins
lol, that'll be a good question for those TCS folks as at our track everyone is running 17.5's

I'm a Tekin fanboy and so far my RS Gen2 hasn't let me down
Yah, for me even the silver can has decent speed in my tiny track so 21.5t would probably be ideal. I don't need super fast. I just noticed my silver can's brushes were like half gone in 3 months driving my V2. I had to swap all the gears out already.

I should check out the RS Gen2. I hear a lot of folks talking about it, so I am sure they are good! Thanks

Back in the days I was using a 9 turn custom motor I made along with a Novak Cyclone and the Wizard to program it. I still have that and a box full of brushed motors from 27turn to 7turn. I am sure they still work, but I want to try modern stuff.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:17 PM
Tech Elite

Des- Maybe something like this?

RSgen2 Spec Gen2 Sensored BL Motor Sys, 21.5RPM
It comes with a 21.5 turn Redline motor, around $200+
Old 03-22-2015, 09:41 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Ran my M04 (Das Cheatervagen) in a heat today. It was working pretty well until it welded the super loose gear diff into a spool. Not sure why the rwd cars do this so much.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

H
Originally Posted by sakadachi
Des- Maybe something like this?

RSgen2 Spec Gen2 Sensored BL Motor Sys, 21.5RPM
It comes with a 21.5 turn Redline motor, around $200+
I really enjoy my redline combo!
Depending on timing people are running I know many people are running some orca's at my track but I'm in the thick of things with my RPM version in blinky mode.

If you're just having fun any motor/ESC will do but it's always nice to have a good combo.

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Ran my M04 (Das Cheatervagen) in a heat today. It was working pretty well until it welded the super loose gear diff into a spool. Not sure why the rwd cars do this so much.
Speaking of heat... I need to get a fan on my M-05 with this AZ heat coming quick!
Old 03-22-2015, 10:53 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DesJardins
H

I really enjoy my redline combo!
Depending on timing people are running I know many people are running some orca's at my track but I'm in the thick of things with my RPM version in blinky mode.

If you're just having fun any motor/ESC will do but it's always nice to have a good combo.

Speaking of heat... I need to get a fan on my M-05 with this AZ heat coming quick!
Sounds good, Des! I think I will look into that combo when the time comes. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
My M04L doesn't like to be driven unless on a super grippy surface..

I am definitely going to look into that TA05 M-Four for my bashing purposes at home.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Des- sounds great on winning the races! Great job!

I guess my next question coming up soon is which 21.5t brushless and ESC you'd recommend for my V2. I've not owned a brushless motor since I come from the days when I cut my own comms with my lathe. I still have a big bag full of carbon brushes..

At the regional TCS I ran a SpeedPassion 21.5 with the blue sensor board and a Hobbywing Justock. It was incredibly fast; too bad I couldn't put all that power to use. I had major traction roll problems (M05 v1) with the "no glue on tread" changes.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Samich
At the regional TCS I ran a SpeedPassion 21.5 with the blue sensor board and a Hobbywing Justock. It was incredibly fast; too bad I couldn't put all that power to use. I had major traction roll problems (M05 v1) with the "no glue on tread" changes.
If that was the case, wouldn't a 25.5 make more sense????? From what I've seen, the vast majority of competitors at the TCS races were way over powered. With the amount of power a 21.5 is capable of producing, only the best drivers and set up guys get the potential out of the cars. The amount of testing and experimentation is massive and most, understandably so, are not inclined to spend that much time and $$$$$$.

And yes, I'll have to agree that is true regardless. However, more people were running competitive speeds and the fields were deeper than is now true. Eventually, human nature being what it is, some who can't get up to speed will find another class or other pursuits.

My comments are restricted to the outdoor asphalt type tracks and not for the carpet and other higrip surfaces.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Samich
Originally Posted by Granpa
If that was the case, wouldn't a 25.5 make more sense????? From what I've seen, the vast majority of competitors at the TCS races were way over powered. With the amount of power a 21.5 is capable of producing, only the best drivers and set up guys get the potential out of the cars. The amount of testing and experimentation is massive and most, understandably so, are not inclined to spend that much time and $$$$$$.

And yes, I'll have to agree that is true regardless. However, more people were running competitive speeds and the fields were deeper than is now true. Eventually, human nature being what it is, some who can't get up to speed will find another class or other pursuits.

My comments are restricted to the outdoor asphalt type tracks and not for the carpet and other higrip surfaces.
Perhaps I should just stick to my silver can for my tiny track...
Old 03-23-2015, 11:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Maybe I don't have the power issues since I'm using the RPM version which is more for 1S light pan cars. I actually feel I'm underpowered down low compared to the others I'm racing with.

Traction rolling I see people struggling with in their suspension vs. power output
Old 03-23-2015, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

Just trying to get caught up. Jim, I'd heard thru the rumor mill that the Speedo/ motor combo you guys were using was being phased out. Hope that isn't true and you've managed t keep that part of your series intact. Seems like you guys had nailed it and were having great success.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Lots of new rules to come... I'm waiting for the 1300g weight limit to be lowered enough so I won't need so much lead on my m03... 1180grams would be perfect... My mini weighs 1150g now race ready with a standard servo(55g)... Low profile servo on the way...
Old 03-23-2015, 11:50 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
Just trying to get caught up. Jim, I'd heard thru the rumor mill that the Speedo/ motor combo you guys were using was being phased out. Hope that isn't true and you've managed t keep that part of your series intact. Seems like you guys had nailed it and were having great success.
Bob, you have a PM. (or will have once I've written it)
Old 03-24-2015, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Perhaps I should just stick to my silver can for my tiny track...
If your driving in a parking lot you won't notice much of a difference between the silver can and a 21.5t brushless. However if your racing competitively you will notice a slight improvement, but it isn't a HUGE leap of speed. Now if you could alter the gearing, then you could get much more speed out of that 21.5t brushless. --this is my experience racing at our outdoor asphalt track. We have a few guys who ran silvercans w/ the rest of us running 21.5t brushless, ..the difference wasn't that great in my opinion. Not what you might expect? It's not like putting a TC car out there w/ the Mini's! --Now that would be a difference you'd notice.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by eR1c
If your driving in a parking lot you won't notice much of a difference between the silver can and a 21.5t brushless. However if your racing competitively you will notice a slight improvement, but it isn't a HUGE leap of speed. Now if you could alter the gearing, then you could get much more speed out of that 21.5t brushless. --this is my experience racing at our outdoor asphalt track. We have a few guys who ran silvercans w/ the rest of us running 21.5t brushless, ..the difference wasn't that great in my opinion. Not what you might expect? It's not like putting a TC car out there w/ the Mini's! --Now that would be a difference you'd notice.
Thanks for the insight eR1c!! I don't really need my V2 to be 'faster', I just want to try new technology. The silver can is control-ably fast in my basement track, I just want the extra umph, but not a big bump in speed.

I know I can just stick a black Mabuchi motor and probably get what I want, but where's the fun in that?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.