Tamiya mini cooper

Old 03-20-2015, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

glide 1, i still remember your killer m03 from 2007 nats
Old 03-21-2015, 07:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by caltek1
I would run a softer compound tyre on the rear. When we run sweeps, 40 or 33 on the front we use sweep 25 on the rear. If the rear end is stepping out then you have too much front grip and not enough rear grip.
So softer, grippier rear tires (25's) along with blue springs in the rear, seems to have cured my massive grip roll problem. It now goes round corners like it's on rails.

I also fitted a rear stabilizer kit, but so far I can not seem to see any difference, albeit an annoying rattle.

New paint job seems to help with cornering speed too.

Cheers all for the tuning help
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-mini.jpg  
Old 03-21-2015, 10:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi All

What are you all using for a servo? I bought a Spectrum h6040

but it seems to turn pretty slow. Guys at my track have been saying go for a Futaba BLS551 but that is compatible with NiCD only apparently.

I am running a flysky GT3C which seems to be ok but I am not sure if that is causing some of the turning problem.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:01 PM
Tech Elite

Thank you for the good wishes guys. Couple were from "track mates" at the Tamiya USA track. Hopefully they'll be a little kinder when we run together. I'll need to pick your brain a bit, Ollie, if I decide to retire my trusty old M03.

I've got a couple of Questions. Did the droop screws everyone was so excited about work or did they turn out to be just another PITA???? How about the front camber links????? Anyone figure out what square pack worked where and why???? How much of an advantage does the extra battery give over the old rounded packs????? What's the deal on motors these days?????? Anyone figure out that 25.5 would have been a better solution yet?????

Interesting that people are still asking the same old set up questions and getting the same old answers. What I wish would happen is if a solution is proposed, that the reasons why this particular change would either reduce or eliminate the problem. And, for the questioners, what set up are you using. This should include amount of toe out, ride height, camber and not just the springs you're using. The tires, inserts, and wheels whether stiff or soft are useful info. And the type of track surface, grip levels, and typically the type of layout usually used. These are suggested for purely selfish reasons and would help me out a lot. I've been away for a bit and the new car is a mystery to me and I'm looking for data.

I forgot shock oils, brand of shock oil, pistons, rebound amt or zero, roll bars, track width etc.

Last edited by Granpa; 03-21-2015 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 03-22-2015, 02:05 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hey Bob, I've been hearing more often that 25.5 is a better solution. I'd love to see it spec'd in a bunch of classes up here. Even our VTAs run 21.5 and its just too much like another touring class.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by leeism
Hi All

but it seems to turn pretty slow. Guys at my track have been saying go for a Futaba BLS551 but that is compatible with NiCD only apparently.

I am running a flysky GT3C which seems to be ok but I am not sure if that is causing some of the turning problem.
I wouldn't worry about the "NiCd only" statement, it is something that Futaba have been putting on the packaging for a while but it is not relevant - the servo will be fine in your Mini. The BLS551 is one of the best car servos you can get.

If the steering seems slow you might want to check the radio settings (just in case the steering speed or some other setting has been turned down) and also the mechanical condition of the steering in case something is binding.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by sosidge
I wouldn't worry about the "NiCd only" statement, it is something that Futaba have been putting on the packaging for a while but it is not relevant - the servo will be fine in your Mini. The BLS551 is one of the best car servos you can get.

If the steering seems slow you might want to check the radio settings (just in case the steering speed or some other setting has been turned down) and also the mechanical condition of the steering in case something is binding.
Thanks for that, I will have a look double check to see if anything is binding.

I do have a Futaba 3PM-X which I have just fitted so I will see how that goes this week at the track instead of the Flysky.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Neils74
So softer, grippier rear tires (25's) along with blue springs in the rear, seems to have cured my massive grip roll problem. It now goes round corners like it's on rails.

I also fitted a rear stabilizer kit, but so far I can not seem to see any difference, albeit an annoying rattle.

New paint job seems to help with cornering speed too.

Cheers all for the tuning help
Looks great, Neils! and congrats on figuring out your set up.

Originally Posted by leeism
Hi All

I use a Futaba S9405 on my V2 and M05. It's high speed rated, but not super fast (0.11/60 degrees) which is perfect for me. My radio is a 4PKS-R so I am using these in analog mode.

http://www.servodatabase.com/servo/futaba/s9405

On my GF01 trucks I use S9452's (digital) which have less latency, but overall speed is same, more torque.

http://www.servodatabase.com/servo/futaba/s9452
Old 03-22-2015, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Granpa
Interesting that people are still asking the same old set up questions and getting the same old answers. What I wish would happen is if a solution is proposed, that the reasons why this particular change would either reduce or eliminate the problem. And, for the questioners, what set up are you using. This should include amount of toe out, ride height, camber and not just the springs you're using. The tires, inserts, and wheels whether stiff or soft are useful info. And the type of track surface, grip levels, and typically the type of layout usually used. These are suggested for purely selfish reasons and would help me out a lot. I've been away for a bit and the new car is a mystery to me and I'm looking for data.

I forgot shock oils, brand of shock oil, pistons, rebound amt or zero, roll bars, track width etc.
I only drive my RC cars at home in my basement track or outside on my driveway with my kids, no serious racing like over 15yrs ago. But the M05's rear stepping out during turn-in is a problem for me that I have yet to dial out. No issue on my V2 on the same track, same tires, same inserts, same dampers, same toe and camber angles, but different springs that were recommended reading this thread a while back.

It's a corner weight thing and I know I can make this car handle better.

If only USPS would please find my springs that I ordered, and deliver it, I could do more testing. My package got lost somewhere along the way.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:09 PM
Tech Adept

Default Diff help

Bought an M05 second hand and have been having a lot of trouble with the standard gear diff. Took it apart and realized that it is missing Tamiya part numbers 12300010 - the 9mm washers that go between the large bevel gear and the diff casing. I'm having a lot of trouble sourcing these, but I think it should be easy enough to fabricate them if I knew the dimensions. Would someone please measure the thickness of their washers as well as inner and outer diameters and let me know?
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

One thing I have to say about the repetitive questions is that IT's OK to ask questions...
I along with others don't need to waste hours upon hours of searching so keep asking.

Also there are many new people just getting in the mini's M-chassis so the questions are new to some, old to others.

I also agree one set-up does not work on all surfaces or tracks with different sizes, conditions & track preps.

All in all everyone on here has been awesome so keep up the good work guys!
Cheers

Originally Posted by V-point
Bought an M05 second hand and have been having a lot of trouble with the standard gear diff. Took it apart and realized that it is missing Tamiya part numbers 12300010 - the 9mm washers that go between the large bevel gear and the diff casing. I'm having a lot of trouble sourcing these, but I think it should be easy enough to fabricate them if I knew the dimensions. Would someone please measure the thickness of their washers as well as inner and outer diameters and let me know?
Thanks in advance.

So cheap, buy a few and save time!

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=6241
Old 03-22-2015, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DesJardins
One thing I have to say about the repetitive questions is that IT's OK to ask questions...
I along with others don't need to waste hours upon hours of searching so keep asking.
Thank you, Des!

I feel like a newbie again since I was away from RC for over a decade, but I'm not a novice to RC. Just got seriously left behind on technology while I was away. I am glad I can ask questions without feeling left out or feeling too stupid.

I am sure there are many others like me, especially lurkers, that play with RC cars just for fun around the house. You know, not for competition or serious racing. I am done with racing. I don't feel like prepping the night before, then driving out to the track, sitting there for a day only getting to drive 3 heats besides warm ups and may be a handful of test runs.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:52 PM
Tech Regular

100% buddy, I like helping and some don't so that's just part of the hobby. I have received a ton of help as I only have 3 race events on my M-05 which I have won 2 of the 3 & the third I placed 2nd so I'm having a blast.

Without those willing to help me with some bench racing scenarios and hints/tips I wouldn't have found a set-up that works well for my local parking lot track. Now with all the info I have helped others with some of their issues at the track. Keep them mini's rollin folks!

:0)
Old 03-22-2015, 08:00 PM
Tech Elite

Des- sounds great on winning the races! Great job!

I guess my next question coming up soon is which 21.5t brushless and ESC you'd recommend for my V2. I've not owned a brushless motor since I come from the days when I cut my own comms with my lathe. I still have a big bag full of carbon brushes..
Old 03-22-2015, 08:03 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sakadachi
Des- sounds great on winning the races! Great job!

I guess my next question coming up soon is which 21.5t brushless and ESC you'd recommend for my V2. I've not owned a brushless motor since I come from the days when I cut my own comms with my lathe. I still have a big bag full of carbon brushes..
lol, that'll be a good question for those TCS folks as at our track everyone is running 17.5's

I'm a Tekin fanboy and so far my RS Gen2 hasn't let me down

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.