Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 03-09-2015, 02:10 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Heathen
Where did you get those inserts from? I tried the sweeps and they are terrible.
Getting spares for M-Chassis cars in Ireland is a huge problem so I do all of my buying online, Banzai and RCMart are my go to guys.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eR1c

I used this battery all last year in our club and was able to finish 3rd overall out of about 10+ racers. If your running the silvercan this battery is probably as good as you'll get out of that motor and the stock ESC (I assume your running the stock esc)?

Chargers, you can pick one up from HobbyKing, -they are cheap and made in China, but they work fine. I used one for a few years until I needed something that could charge higher capacity then switched to a Dynamite brand charger which I absolutely love. --but it wasn't cheap.
Thanks again on the recommendation for lipo, eR1c. I ordered a few of these today for my M05.

I will need to get a few of those battery meter buzzer thingies and a lipo bag.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:16 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Spent a portion of today breaking in a silver can. Haven't done one for a few years. It's interesting work, but I'm really happy we run brushless now.

This one's going in a just for fun/shelf queen M04. I'll drive it now and then, but probably not in a real race. Same car I'm looking for tire advice on, btw. What are good choices in 55mm Shimizu and/or Spice tires/inserts?
Old 03-10-2015, 06:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

D'oh! Any ideas? Drill it out with a super small bit?

Also, anyone know the part number for the ball stud? I can't seem to find it.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-knuckle.jpg  
Old 03-10-2015, 07:06 AM
Tech Initiate

Spent most of the day building a mini for my six year old son from all the spare parts I had laying around. Its amazing how many spares you can accumulate.
Apart from the hop-up steering, motor plate and bearings it is completely stock including the friction shocks.

What is annoyingly shocking is how fast and nimble it is (even with a silver can and an 18 tooth pinion) compared to what I thought was a fully sorted m-05 VII.

I have learnt one thing from the whole exercise . (K.I.S.S) Keep it simple stupid!
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-mini.jpg  
Old 03-10-2015, 07:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Samich

Also, anyone know the part number for the ball stud? I can't seem to find it.
RC 5mm Ball Connector: 57714 - Long. Part #9805825
durtbag likes this.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:30 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Neils74
RC 5mm Ball Connector: 57714 - Long. Part #9805825
That was quick! Thanks. Of course, it doesn't look like any of my usual go-to sources for Tamiya parts has them in stock (or in their system, for that matter). Wondering if I can rig something up using a long set screw, some spacers, and a ball stud nut.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

Don't drill anything. If you have a small tap of suitable size (or some tool steel - a piece of an old drillbit) lying around, just grind three very sharp edges on it meeting at a pointy end, place pointy end centered on the little bastard, hit sharply with a soft hammer so it indents in the brass (bronze) and using the tool you just made try to screw the bastard out (through the opposite side to the broken face). If you don't have enough purchase, you can try now to drill with a 1mm bit a shallow hole using the indent as a punch mark, just enough that the sharp edges bite into the sides of the hole.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Samich
Yes, quickest way is to place it in a vice and drill it out on a press.

Originally Posted by Neils74
Spent most of the day building a mini for my six year old son from all the spare parts I had laying around. Its amazing how many spares you can accumulate.
Apart from the hop-up steering, motor plate and bearings it is completely stock including the friction shocks.

What is annoyingly shocking is how fast and nimble it is (even with a silver can and an 18 tooth pinion) compared to what I thought was a fully sorted m-05 VII.

I have learnt one thing from the whole exercise . (K.I.S.S) Keep it simple stupid!
Good job, Neils!! Looks great.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by niznai
Don't drill anything. If you have a small tap of suitable size (or some tool steel - a piece of an old drillbit) lying around, just grind three very sharp edges on it meeting at a pointy end, place pointy end centered on the little bastard, hit sharply with a soft hammer so it indents in the brass (bronze) and using the tool you just made try to screw the bastard out (through the opposite side to the broken face). If you don't have enough purchase, you can try now to drill with a 1mm bit a shallow hole using the indent as a punch mark, just enough that the sharp edges bite into the sides of the hole.
Once the drill bit catches the broken metal, it will screw it out the other end.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:27 AM
Tech Elite

What did I do last night? After driving my M05 with the latest damper setup, I decided to try the extra hard spring for the front. Hope to have it soon.

It is great how different M05 and V2 handles. While they look similar, they are so different.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Well the postman was good to me yesterday. My black MO5 V2 parts and new carbon reinforned arms arrived. It is great to get all of the hopups in one bag. Only other parts needed are the black front and rear alloy knuckles and hubs.

Jim,

Pit Shimizu 55mm tyres with medium front, soft rear, ca glue on front outside with 3 hole pistons, 35 wt oil. Fluro red spring rear and fluro yellow up front. This is for carpet. If you can find the carbon fibre front shock tower for the MO4, car will work alot better, I have been told.

Hope it works for you.

Later,

50 cal
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-20150311_060648.jpg  
Old 03-10-2015, 06:51 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Thanks Cal. Of course I have the carbon tower for the M04. I've got all the rare bits. Rear carbon tower, sway bar kit, Square front bumper...the front tower is a good tuning aid.

Been shopping on Banzai for tires. They've got good deals on Shimizus. I'll go med/hard on inserts. Soft never worked for me on our tracks.

EDIT: Is it just me, or is Shimizu's tire designation really weird and arcane? I'm guessing that I need to get some 27 and 33 shore tires. Kinda confused by the tires labelled as "rear sp".

Last edited by monkeyracing; 03-10-2015 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-11-2015, 02:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Does anyone have some guidance for a stable bodyshell. Getting a M-05 v2 Pro in the mail (sans body), and I'm looking for a good (mini) beginners shell.

Will be racing indoor carpet (tight track) and outdoor asphalt which is open and flowing.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Jim,
The Pit Shimizu sp tyres are for the rear only and are very good on asphelt in the cooler weather. I will go through my tyres and give you the ratings later. But the 25 grooved rears are the soft and 30 s are the medium and 35 the hards.
Regards
Calvin

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.