Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 02-18-2015, 06:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
It's way too quiet in here.

I present to you the ultimate in frivolous, high-tech-lookin', but still cheap tire storage.

The carbon fiber Pringles can!

In case you didn't know, mini Pringles cans are awesome for storing mini and TC sized tires, once you get the chip stink out. I've been using them for years.
Hummmmm
That's a really good idea Jim
I've gotta start saving those pringle cans after Golddust downs them!
Old 02-18-2015, 07:10 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The tricky part is getting the cans when you're not a huge Pringles fan.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for all the input on Shorty vs Standard size batteries in the M05v2's.

Most of my time with Shorty packs is with my USGT car. Went back to standard size due to keeping the the voltage higher and more consistent over an 8 minute main.

Tried the Shorty in the Mini and found that I needed to roll into the 180's a little more. Switched from Mini shocks to Sedan sized for more extension, still wanted more steering. Went to 1deg rear toe...much better. This was really easy to drive.(similar to how monkeyracing described it)

However when I put in my standard size pack and removed all of my extra weights. That is what I was looking for, I could just turn and go. I think this is due to the weight farther over the sides like "wings".(similar to how madjack described his experience)

...now onto my ESC...anyone have any stick time on a Team Orion R10.1? Specifically in the Mini.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

Hi guys, I'm new here. been wanting to thank you guys for setup info and all...very informative thread.

Hope I can also get in on the discussions and make a few contributions down the road. I currently own a m03, m05, m05pro.v2, amoungst other rc.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Neils74
So after fitting the Tamiya ball diff for my m-05 and not really liking the way the car felt skittish and especially the way it pulled to the left. I tried getting the thing as tight as possible and ended up cracking the plastic collar, so now I have decided to use an aftermarket gear diff by 3racing.
After filling it with the supplied oil and getting zero anywhere, I delved in this forum and found several/most of you use 400,000 weight oil
My question is, how long does this oil last before it needs to be washed out and refilled and has anyone had any long term problems with this type of diff?
Thanks as always
I run the Tamiya M05 hopup ball diff and the way I got rid of the torque steer pull to the left on my M05 was by adding the thin Tamiya damper shims on the front and rear dampers on the left side and a tad more toe-out on the front wheels. I currently run the CVA mini's with the TRF x-rings (short yellow springs front/red springs rear), very low friction, no leaks.

This is when I really noticed how much better the M05proV2 was balanced left to right of the car. Also running x-rings on the clear CVA mini dampers.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jedi
Need advice guys. I have a couple of M03s I haven't' run for a few years and I will start running them again. I also have a BNIB M03 with the Swift body. Should I just open my new kit to get parts or will they soon become collectible since they are no longer in production? In which case, I should keep it new in box and just buy the parts I need to get my two other M03s running again? Thanks for the advice.
I saw a guy selling a M01 for $799.99 on ebay... so if I was you, I would keep the NIB M03 for another 5-10yrs and sell it at a premium since you have another M03 to play with already.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
The tricky part is getting the cans when you're not a huge Pringles fan.
PM me with how many you want Jim
I'll start saving a few for ya
Old 02-19-2015, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

I know lipo's the way to go this day in age, but do any of you guys still use NiCd's for bashing around the house? I ask because I just recently got back into RC since about a 15-16yr hiatus and still have a whole bunch of 2000mAh cells from back in the day to make side-by-side packs..and they still work perfectly.

Since last Fall, I spent literally thousands on new RC car kits and radios and stuff, but not yet on batteries and chargers because I don't race, and just wanted to use up the cells I currently have.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

if your having fun w/ them then continue to use the NiCd's. For racing they are too heavy and don't pack the punch that lipo's do. But for bashing, sure!
Old 02-19-2015, 01:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Why thank you Tamiya

Old 02-19-2015, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

So, a guy bought a V2 last year and went from mid pack to fighting for the lead every race and actually taking out our recent Indoor championship. I used to be a lap ahead of him, now he was a lap (sometimes 2) ahead of me.

So, of course I had to buy a V2, however after swapping a lot of parts from my old car, my first 2 race meetings were with my old shocks, built very short with spacers inside them. I was still a lap or 2 down from the 2 leaders.

Last week, I finally decided to rebuild my shocks. Wow! I was rubbing panels with the leader, actually taking the lead for a bit till I crashed all on my own, and he got the lead back. I didn't think those upgrades would make that difference, but they must. I didn't change anything else (apart from the layout of the track, which changes all the time anyway). Very impressed with my newly built V2! Happy mini driver again
Old 02-19-2015, 03:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by eR1c
if your having fun w/ them then continue to use the NiCd's. For racing they are too heavy and don't pack the punch that lipo's do. But for bashing, sure!
thanks. Yah... the NiCd's do weight a lot. The reason why I got the M05ProV2 is because I can fit my side-by-side 2000mAh in there.

For clamping the battery down, I modified the shotgun pack brackets a little bit and just fit the battery in nice and snug. works great and nice balance.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DesJardins
Why thank you Tamiya
Nice!! I just use the regular M03 CVD's in my M05's.

sith- sorry to sound out of place, but what is this V2 you speak of?
Old 02-19-2015, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

Ok, after posting I think I realized Sith was talking about the M05ProV2..
Old 02-19-2015, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

So what are your thoughts about using EVA mats for your RC track? Do you recommend the ones with the carpet on top layer?

I currently have a small 280qt ft track in my basement to run my M05's. I just have a few rugs in the corners for traction but want to lay out an entire track. I've read about Ozite but 12x80ft is much too big to order from CRC for me.

I want decent traction and the ability to expand later.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.