R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Tamiya mini cooper (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/20068-tamiya-mini-cooper.html)

sup 11-07-2006 11:47 PM

thanks for the response guys!

akuhon, have you tried placing your esc inside the chasis (if it fits)? maybe it could help a little with you weight transfer..

racenut 11-07-2006 11:53 PM

mounting the transponder at the rear will also help.

Hi, there sup!!! ;)

tony gray 11-08-2006 01:11 AM

OK guys just added full pics and specs and drawings etc etc for the Chevron rear mount steering conversion. So anyone that wants to build one should find most of what they need at rc-mini.net now.

As for Akuhons tyre question... Well, on a personal level, I still run X patterns (non-evil ones) but most of the other guys in our group run Pit Shimizu's or sometimes Rides (S compound) On a really large track we might use Type A 60D's, but they are compromised on turn-in.

The Tech 4WD M01/02 conversion? Its one of the few things that we havent been able to get hold of. Bizkit has one though although it isnt currently assembled I believe.

Sydewynder 11-08-2006 01:54 AM

On the rear servo conversion, Does the steering link plate change the length/angles of the steering rods? Did this reduce the bump steer?

tony gray 11-08-2006 02:08 AM

It improves it slightly but not by much. You're never going to eliminate it completely on an M03, its almost impossible to do so.

However, if your handling is being compromised by bump steer then your car is probably set-up too soft anyway. The bump steer only really has an effect when the wheel moves up a good 5mm+ And a race Mini shouldnt have anywhere near that much travel.

Sydewynder 11-08-2006 02:23 AM

Thanks Tony. Just curious as the pics look like the steering links were shorter.
I agree that bump steer will be a problem at 5+ mm up/down movement and too soft of a set-up.

sup 11-08-2006 02:24 AM

hey racenut,

i guess it will be touring car tires for us at jp. or go with akuhon's set-up, foams, super low ride height and firm suspension. :D

bizkit1 11-08-2006 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by akuhon

Do you also have M01/M02 4WD conversion by Tech Racing ? I think this one is the oldest conversion for M-chassis. Now, they (Tech-Racing) did the same thing with M03 .... Post some pics if you have, here or in your web...

Cheers,

I have one in parts only and still don't know if it's the whole kit or not. Came with some mini's that I bought years ago and just don't have the time to mess with it. It looks like a hand full of plastic everywhere :weird: I guess I could put it together his winter, maybe throw some clod tires on it and take it outside and go 4-wheeling :lol:

minimanintaiwan 11-08-2006 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by akuhon
And also, I see you post HPI mini tires. It's rubber, right...
Do yuo have any experience with other rubber tires for m-chassis ? I see there are some from : RIDE, PIT-SHIMIZU ....

Please share with us..... I don;t have any experience with them 'cause I only use foam....
Actually because it's cheaper than rubber (cost of rim, insert and tires) and it fits my style.... :) :) :) :)

We use pit shimizu treads up front (PS-0417) and slicks on back (PS-0416) however we use touring car inserts cut to size instead of the supplied foam ones. The foams are just to soft and thin. The insert we use is Sorex type c firm. but we're still experimenting. With this setup the insert really fills out the tire leaving virtually no air gap. And not all rims/wheels will accomodate a touring car insert. In this example we couldn't get this tire and insert onto a HPI wheel/rim. And of course price: shimizu's were cheaper than HPI's by about 30%..maybe its different in your country.

if anyone is using a different insert setup they really have success with please pass it along! Thanks.

akuhon 11-08-2006 10:42 PM

Thanks Tony and minimanintaiwan for the info about rubber tires.
I wil try to order some ....

SUP:
yes, I've tried to mount them on the rear at the both side (left and right) of the rear chassis, but still need some weight... Never inside the chassis...

racenut:
I never mount it on the rear... I always mount the transponder on the front part ...

Any idea of the mini-rims ? .... this one for my shelfqueen ... the Fit / Jazz

racenut 11-09-2006 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by sup
hey racenut,

i guess it will be touring car tires for us at jp. or go with akuhon's set-up, foams, super low ride height and firm suspension. :D

Yeah, just reserve a pitspace for me, beside you!! :lol:

ogre188 11-10-2006 09:34 PM

Mods, Hacks

Would this be the place to post about mods and hacks to the M03?

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b7...8/DCP03453.jpg

minimanintaiwan 11-11-2006 05:05 AM

Besides a weight factor what are the performance differences between a manta ray ball diff and TA03 ball diff in a M03M chassis and all other things being equal?
I have a TA03 ball diff and seem to be a bit quicker on the straightaways.

tony gray 11-11-2006 11:31 AM

The 03 diff is lighter ( and less contact surface hence less friction), so theoretically will spin up to top speed quicker on the straight.
In practice though there's no actual mathematical gearing advantage with either of them. The effective ratio is identical

oldfart 11-11-2006 01:22 PM

stearing problem

Hi Guys.

Last week i purchased a mo3m swift and have a problem. It was built in a hurry for racing friday night.

It appears that the front right wheel is momentarialy locking up.

when i first put it on the track it ran fine for about 50m then dived hard right into the track guides, this diving to the right happens about evry 10 meters or so for the first couple of laps.

After a few laps it seems to settle down but for the first couple it is a real bugger.

I put it o the stand and everything seems quite free.

At first i thought it may have been the radio as i am only using a cheapy until i get another reciever for my KO. but i noticed that there are wear patterns on the tyres consistent with the wheel locking up.

any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ross