Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 12:42 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

We use SXT 3.0 here, because it's pretty much the only thing that's available consistently and it doesn't smell too awful. Jack the Gripper (ha!) is a good alternative. There are a lot of ways to clean tires, but most commonly I see guys using automotive brake parts cleaner or electrical contact cleaner. Nasty stuff, but effective. Spray some on a shop rag, and wipe the tires down after you've run or when you see crud building up on the tread.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Boons
And how do you clean the tyres?
Originally Posted by monkeyracing
There are a lot of ways to clean tires, but most commonly I see guys using automotive brake parts cleaner or electrical contact cleaner. Nasty stuff, but effective. Spray some on a shop rag, and wipe the tires down after you've run or when you see crud building up on the tread.
Try odorless mineral spirits (the normal petroleum-based stuff, not the "green" stuff). It works great, doesn't stink, and costs 10% of motor cleaner. $14 per gallon at WallyWorld (probably not in the UK)! That's enough to last a few years.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

WD-40 on a shop towel works too.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Smile

New Tamiya Mini Hopup parts are available.

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ..._id=2&s_sort=3

FYI, Thanks.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:39 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
You'll still have to be a demon on the infield to stay with the pack. It is fun going into corners really hard though.

Silver cans might make a difference. There can be so much inconsistency between them that a high revving one could change things up.

You'll likely need a little sauce and he right carpet to make them do their thing. They don't need bedding in as much as a good cleaning and a few laps to set them straight.
Well, I ran the Sweeps and a mate let me use his sauce. The tyres were awesome compared with the M grips that I usually use, quick turn in and GRIP! I didn't need to glue the sidewalls luckily as the car didn't grip roll. I didn't notice the lack of top speed on the track last night, but people do comment on the speed of my car anyway. I just hope my club will use them!
Old 11-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Tech Adept

H all,

Are any of the one piece plastic wishbones any good?
Old 11-24-2013, 05:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi guys

I am a happy owner of a M05-Mini Monte Carlo that i just bought new.
I am planning to use it with stock ESC and silver can but on Lipos, so i bought a couple of Absima/Team C 3000mah oval stick packs. My problem is that i can play for about 4-5 minutes and then throttle dies on me. If i switch it off and back on i can play for another 1-2 minutes. The ESC (TEU 105BK) is flashing red, no sound. I removed voltage cut off but thats useless as the battery comes at 7.9V at least after the ESC dies.
Temps are really low, neither motor or the esc overheats.

Any hints on what is wrong?
Old 11-24-2013, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Are you positive on that voltage check on that battery? Sounds like you may not be charging the battery completely. How long does it take you to charge your battery?
Old 11-24-2013, 02:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
Are you positive on that voltage check on that battery? Sounds like you may not be charging the battery completely. How long does it take you to charge your battery?
Yes i am very positive. I forgot to mention that a pal of mine bought the same car and same batteries. He didn't have such a problem at first but today it seems that he has the same bug as i do. We do have different chargers (i have a Graupner Ultra Duo) and different multimeters. It gets about 40min on 3A to charge them.
It seems like a thermal cut off but everything is cold...
Old 11-24-2013, 03:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Boons
H all,

Are any of the one piece plastic wishbones any good?
I've been using them for years and never had a failure Ryan.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

At what voltage do they finish charging at? Should be about 8.4 if its not, that's part of the problem
Old 11-24-2013, 11:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by marcos graveyar
I've been using them for years and never had a failure Ryan.
Hello Sir!

Which ones do you use?
Old 11-25-2013, 12:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

And we've never had a failure with the standard ones either....
Old 11-25-2013, 01:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by KA2AEV
At what voltage do they finish charging at? Should be about 8.4 if its not, that's part of the problem
definitely 8.4V.

Last edited by mekios; 11-25-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:03 AM
Tech Elite

It sounds like a bad pack to me. Have you been balance charging? How long do you suppose they may have been sitting on the shop shelf before you bought them?

Charging within 40 minutes shows that the packs are no way near empty when the car stops running, probably less than 2000mAh has been taken out. The LiPo's may well be struggling to give the voltage your ESC and receiver is expecting when they are under load, even though they seem OK voltage when resting.

I'd also check the connectors (make sure they have a good contact, standard Tamiya plugs are always poor and should be replaced), and the servo you might be using (some cheap servos and the Savox brand in particular are very inefficient and cause heavy current draw). Also, check your radio, Spektrum brand is very sensitive to low voltage (personally I would avoid their technology like the plague!)

My general experience with very low capacity cheap packs is that they are not really up to racing, there is a dip in quality at the bottom end of the market.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.