Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 11-04-2013, 10:22 PM
Tech Elite

Lot's of reasons that this can occur. These are just a few. Do the easy corrections first. One of the first things I'd try would be to swap motors with the other car.

1. Bad motor or could need new brushes and a comm cut
2. Esc may need to be reset
3. Worn out tranny gears especially since you were using a more powerful motor than a Silvercan
4. Slipping diff---not usually a problem with a gear diff but you were having some weird handling problems
5. Binding or drag in the drive train
6. Tx throttle settings may be off
7. Bad solder joints

No. 6 is a curve ball. Some esc use 100 for full throttle and others use 150. Depends on the esc and the TX.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:35 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
Lot's of reasons that this can occur. These are just a few. Do the easy corrections first. One of the first things I'd try would be to swap motors with the other car.

1. Bad motor or could need new brushes and a comm cut
2. Esc may need to be reset
3. Worn out tranny gears especially since you were using a more powerful motor than a Silvercan
4. Slipping diff---not usually a problem with a gear diff but you were having some weird handling problems
5. Binding or drag in the drive train
6. Tx throttle settings may be off
7. Bad solder joints

No. 6 is a curve ball. Some esc use 100 for full throttle and others use 150. Depends on the esc and the TX.
1. could be, as it was used. It looks like I need new brushes. Shouldn't be too hard to replace
2. Probably. New TX|RX unit. May need a new programming.
3. Just swapped all gears for the reinforced set after chewing up my last set.
4. could be as well. May have to finally bite the bullet and build one from scratch instead of using used prebuilt ones.
5. Could also be. I may just swap front ends with the spare parts chassis, and see what happens.
6. Haven't played around with the trims for throttle yet on my TX. It's a FlySky one, so it shouldn't take too long to figure out. It's set at max rate, so we'll see with that. Might just need to reprogram the ESC
7. Could easily be. There's no solder between motor and ESC that I did (none at all on motor, connectors between motor and ESC are crimp bullets) and the solder from the ESC is very professional. I haven't yet touched it. Might be the solder that I did for the battery connector though. I really botched that.

Thanks! I'll look into it.

As for the pinions, I run a 20T on my Mini, so if her's is any other pinion it means I need to clean my stuff out more often. I am assuming hers is a 20T as well.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Team Associated has several LRP brushed speed controls on closeout for less than a set of tires, in case anyone is looking for one that doesn't have reverse.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by CraigMBA
Team Associated has several LRP brushed speed controls on closeout for less than a set of tires, in case anyone is looking for one that doesn't have reverse.
Would you be able to post a link for those of us who don't know our way around the RC world yet?
Old 11-05-2013, 11:50 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by back9monsta
I was able to test new links this weekend, the shorter link definitely improves the cornering of the car. Must have hop up.
What are these made of? Pics look like plastic. Might still be a better, less fragile option than the 3Racing link set.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by pizzaboy192
Would you be able to post a link for those of us who don't know our way around the RC world yet?
Team Associated > Parts & Accessories > LRP Clearance Items
Old 11-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

what body options do i have for a medium wheelbase M05 aside from the swift and abarth? which is better for racing?
Old 11-05-2013, 07:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by silverbmr
what body options do i have for a medium wheelbase M05 aside from the swift and abarth? which is better for racing?
If you're sticking to the Tamiya bodies, the Swift is the body of choice. The Abarth is just plain nasty. Most of the MWB cars at the TCS Nats used the Swift for good reason. It just "works" better.

The LWB cars used the Cooper S or the BMW bodies. The new Coupe is a favorite of Dave Weir's, but I've never had it handle the way the other two do. It in my hands was not as "comfortable" to drive.

Again these comments are limited to the Tamiya USA track which is outdoor asphalt. Carpet may be different.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:51 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Again these comments are limited to the Tamiya USA track which is outdoor asphalt. Carpet may be different.
You should make this your signature, Bob. It seems to be saving you a lot of grief!
Old 11-06-2013, 12:47 AM
Tech Regular

I found the Tamiya CR-X to work well on the M03 or M05, not as tall and boxy as the Swift and the Abarth.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-crxfrt.jpg   Tamiya mini cooper-crxrr.jpg  
Old 11-06-2013, 01:20 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Haha, love the Raybrig theme!
Old 11-06-2013, 04:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tim K
I found the Tamiya CR-X to work well on the M03 or M05, not as tall and boxy as the Swift and the Abarth.
+1 I've used the swift before and wasn't too fond of it - but I love the CR-x, its a great little body
Old 11-06-2013, 06:23 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Granpa
If you're sticking to the Tamiya bodies, the Swift is the body of choice. The Abarth is just plain nasty. Most of the MWB cars at the TCS Nats used the Swift for good reason. It just "works" better.

The LWB cars used the Cooper S or the BMW bodies. The new Coupe is a favorite of Dave Weir's, but I've never had it handle the way the other two do. It in my hands was not as "comfortable" to drive.

Hey Granpa.

Can you explain the feeling in handling difference between the Swift and the Abart (Corso)

Regards Robert
Old 11-06-2013, 07:52 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
You should make this your signature, Bob. It seems to be saving you a lot of grief!
Jim, it has. It's a matter of self preservation and common sense. Set ups, diffs, tires and inserts, bodies, vary wildly from track to track and surface to surface and driver to driver. I don't post set ups any more cause this can be misleading or not helpful. I did post a set up about a year ago that seemed to work for me at any venue, was incredibly easy to drive, but may not have been the fastest. It's still my base set up and I work my way from that for more speed.

Also, much of what I post is what I've learned from running with the Mini Mafia at the Tamiya track. My posts are just an opinion and if it differs from someone else's it's never been personal.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Robert_K
Hey Granpa.

Can you explain the feeling in handling difference between the Swift and the Abart (Corso)

Regards Robert
My experience with the Abarth is on a relatively large outdoors track. I would like to try it on a tight carpet track one day cause the bodies characteristics seem to be more favorable these conditions.

The Abarth is very difficult to find a balance with and can change from corner to corner. Also stuff can happen quickly. Basically, it's damned "twitchy". The Swift doesn't have any "nasty" characteristics. Also the little wing on it can be removed without much if any change in the handling. I always use it, but some of the Mini Mafia here do without it.

The CRX seems to fall between these two bodies. I borrowed one, ran a few laps with it, and promptly returned it. Just did not like it. Locally, the "faster" guys liked it more than the slower guys like me did. What's interesting is that when it really mattered, everyone with a MWB, used a Swift.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.