Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 09:35 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

They're a very good idea. Smoother and more efficient.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:33 PM
Tech Master

New blog post up for those interested. Did a little testing with the M03 at Galaxy Hobby this past Sunday. Also got a few pics of an Atomic V2 "Mini-TC", that one of our drivers, Jacob, was racing. Pretty cool little car!

www.theminiunderground.blogspot.com
Old 08-22-2013, 10:13 PM
Tech Elite

The TCS Nationals are this weekend so many guys practicing today. We're having to use the "new" compound S-Grip tires for this event. A handful of guys have figured out what to do with the tires and are turning faster lap times than they were with the old tires.

I finally figured out what direction to go with the set ups, and cut nearly a second off my times. Unfortunately am still off about 0.5 sec from the fastest cars out there. This is probably due more to relative driver skill levels than the set up.

I still feel that the new tires are "junk", but they can be made to go fast with a little work. Also the tuning window is really narrow and the tires are difficult to work with. Takes a lot of the "fun" out of Mini racing and has replaced it with hard work. As soon as the race is over, these tires are coming off and will be using the Shimizu tires so I can have fun.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:22 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Granpa
The TCS Nationals are this weekend so many guys practicing today. We're having to use the "new" compound S-Grip tires for this event. A handful of guys have figured out what to do with the tires and are turning faster lap times than they were with the old tires.

I finally figured out what direction to go with the set ups, and cut nearly a second off my times. Unfortunately am still off about 0.5 sec from the fastest cars out there. This is probably due more to relative driver skill levels than the set up.

I still feel that the new tires are "junk", but they can be made to go fast with a little work. Also the tuning window is really narrow and the tires are difficult to work with. Takes a lot of the "fun" out of Mini racing and has replaced it with hard work. As soon as the race is over, these tires are coming off and will be using the Shimizu tires so I can have fun.
I was messing with these tires at our regional race and last Sunday. They're odd, that's for sure. They don't seem to care for my M03 just yet, I ended up running A's most of the day because the S-grips just didn't feel right. Something about them is off, I just can't quite put my finger on it.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cementsurfer86
I was messing with these tires at our regional race and last Sunday. They're odd, that's for sure. They don't seem to care for my M03 just yet, I ended up running A's most of the day because the S-grips just didn't feel right. Something about them is off, I just can't quite put my finger on it.
There are some obvious differences between the old S-Grips and the new. The first is that the rubber compound is much softer. This does give them more "grip". The second is that the sidewalls are much softer. The combination of more grip and soft sidewalls make the tire much more prone to traction rolling. It also leads to the odd "feel" when you're driving the Mini----to me it feels like the car is squirming. Sometimes more grip can lead to slower lap times.,

Unfortunately for TCS racing, you cannot change the insert as the tires come pre glued so there is no going to a stiffer insert. All of us use cyano on the sidewalls for this reason.

The M05 adapts to the new tire better than the M03 for obvious reasons, but is, for most people, not as quick as the M03. I'm talking about the outdoors asphalt tracks and maybe 0.2 or 0.3 sec per lap. I have no idea whether one is better than the other on carpet or other hi-grip surfaces. My preference has always been for the M03 for most conditions, but I do race the M05 on hi-grip track surfaces. The M05's slower corner speed is not as apparent on these surfaces and is usually easier to drive.

Last edited by Granpa; 08-22-2013 at 11:31 PM. Reason: addition
Old 08-22-2013, 11:53 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I've been getting decent wear with the newer S Grips. Maybe almost on par with the old ones, but they do wear faster if you don't spend a bunch of time on them. That is a bummer. They're certainly not TCS legal. Sidewalls glued inside and out, tread/sidewall edge shaved down, "radial" tape band inside...

My rear tires are a pair of S Grip premounts I bought in Sept. 2011. I'm thinking about replacing them. They're starting to get a little "balloon-ey". I may just run my Sept. 2012 rear tires.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:14 AM
Tech Adept

For the UK guys, is there a series or championship for the Mini's over here? A weekend doing that would be pretty cool
Old 08-25-2013, 03:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Boons
For the UK guys, is there a series or championship for the Mini's over here? A weekend doing that would be pretty cool
No national series at the moment. It will probably be a class at the CWIC this winter - http://www.cwic.cmcc.org.uk/
Old 08-25-2013, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

Hey guys, what's the strongest CVD/Swingshaft protector/blade/cushion out there? I keep ruining mine while running an oil diff

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2013, 10:57 PM
Tech Elite

The TCS nationals were just completed a few hours ago. Just thought I'd pass on a few of the things we found out about the new S-Grip premounts. The most important is to not round the the edges to prevent traction rolling. You wind up with a very unpredictable tire. Yes, i know it sounds like a good idea, but it definitely is not. They can be used as rear tires, but not for the fronts.

Everyone was using cyano on the front tires, but some were doing the rear tires too. Seems to be a 50/50 split on that. I just cyanod the outside of the fronts and did nothing to the rears. Did not have any rolling problems at all.

If anyones interested, I qualified 7th and finished 7th. Could and should have finished one, possibly 2 spots higher, but that's racing. I'm very content with my results cause my driving skills are not top rank. The car was very good and for some reason was running a little flatter than most. A very talented, relative newcomer to Minis, Bensi Lopez won the Trip to Japan. Bensi is an experienced racer, but took a few years off to play golf and came back 2or 3 years ago.

Set ups are all over the place, but are still pretty close to the set ups I've posted several times. Diffs are a little tighter than before and all the front runners, except one used the M03.

As always, the opinions expressed are mine and mine alone. They are not meant to offend you or any of your long held convictions.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:58 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Diffs are a little tighter than before and all the front runners, except one used the M03.
Hi Bob, are you saying all the frontrunners used the M03, save for one? How does Tamiya feel about this? Not trying to push any buttons, but they've got to be a little concerned that so many are prefer running discontinued product over current. I sure would be.

Congratulations on your qualifying and finishing positions. You placed much higher than I would have.

Jim
Old 08-26-2013, 04:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi Granpa,

Congrats on your result. Any chance to see a picture of you and your mini?

Old 08-26-2013, 07:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The TCS nationals were just completed a few hours ago. Just thought I'd pass on a few of the things we found out about the new S-Grip premounts. The most important is to not round the the edges to prevent traction rolling. You wind up with a very unpredictable tire. Yes, i know it sounds like a good idea, but it definitely is not. They can be used as rear tires, but not for the fronts.

Everyone was using cyano on the front tires, but some were doing the rear tires too. Seems to be a 50/50 split on that. I just cyanod the outside of the fronts and did nothing to the rears. Did not have any rolling problems at all.

If anyones interested, I qualified 7th and finished 7th. Could and should have finished one, possibly 2 spots higher, but that's racing. I'm very content with my results cause my driving skills are not top rank. The car was very good and for some reason was running a little flatter than most. A very talented, relative newcomer to Minis, Bensi Lopez won the Trip to Japan. Bensi is an experienced racer, but took a few years off to play golf and came back 2or 3 years ago.

Set ups are all over the place, but are still pretty close to the set ups I've posted several times. Diffs are a little tighter than before and all the front runners, except one used the M03.

As always, the opinions expressed are mine and mine alone. They are not meant to offend you or any of your long held convictions.
Hi Bob, your opinions are always valuable and helpful to many of us. Only a few racers are willing to help fellow racers with helpful tips. I know alot of us appreciate your tips. Thanks for your tire management tip this weekend. My M05 drove so much better. I was able to finish with one extra lap after your tips. I was sick on sunday and was not able to come back.

Danny
Old 08-26-2013, 11:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rccartips
Hi Granpa,

Congrats on your result. Any chance to see a picture of you and your mini?

No point in doing that, cause most of the good stuff won't be obvious in a picture. I've posted everything on that car in this thread at one time or another. The car in pictures looks like a stock kit with aluminum F/R uprights and TRF shocks.

Thanx for asking, but it would just be a waste of time for anyone to even look at it. At any race you'll see many cars that look exactly the same.

[QUOTE=fx35rc;12484602]Hi Bob, your opinions are always valuable and helpful to many of us. Only a few racers are willing to help fellow racers with helpful tips. I know alot of us appreciate your tips. Thanks for your tire management tip this weekend. My M05 drove so much better. I was able to finish with one extra lap after your tips. I was sick on sunday and was not able to come back.

There's a bunch more about the tires, but showed you all you needed to know for the Nationals. We didn't have enough time to go thru the program to develop a good set of tires.

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
Hi Bob, are you saying all the frontrunners used the M03, save for one? How does Tamiya feel about this? Not trying to push any buttons, but they've got to be a little concerned that so many are prefer running discontinued product over current. I sure would be.

Congratulations on your qualifying and finishing positions. You placed much higher than I would have.

Jim
That's right Jim, 9 out of the top 10. For the track we were on, it seems that is the car of choice. All but one of the top 6 also had very good M05's, but elected to go with the M03.

It's not a problem for them, but it is worrying us M03 fans. They don't allow them at the TCS Worlds. Tamiya USA doesn't show them as being discontinued, but i'm pretty sure they are trying to phase them out. Let's face it, there are more shekels to be made with the M05.

Jim, my car was very, very good. The set up was built around a driver with marginal driving skills like mine. I make a lot of little errors that this car does not penalize me for in lap times. It doesn't seem to roll if I clip a dot and minor misses on the apices cost me very little time at all. Also make fewer major errors. If you drive this car, you would have done very well. With me nowadays, it's all about the car. It's a shame this car is saddled with me as a driver.

I had another set up that was faster over one lap, but was a much harder to drive. I elected to stay with the safer set up.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Granpa;12485227][QUOTE=fx35rc;12484602]Hi Bob, your opinions are always valuable and helpful to many of us. Only a few racers are willing to help fellow racers with helpful tips. I know alot of us appreciate your tips. Thanks for your tire management tip this weekend. My M05 drove so much better. I was able to finish with one extra lap after your tips. I was sick on sunday and was not able to come back.

There's a bunch more about the tires, but showed you all you needed to know for the Nationals. We didn't have enough time to go thru the program to develop a good set of tires.

I will try your spring advice you gave me next time. I can't wait to try them..hahaha. I was so dissapointed I can't try them on sunday. Mini class is the best

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.