Search
Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Granpa
Anyone want to take on the subject of "bump steer"?????
Sure! What do you want to discuss about it, other than it's usually bad!
Old 07-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by howardcano
Sure! What do you want to discuss about it, other than it's usually bad!
I asked that partly in jest. The floor is yours Howard, I know squat. You might start by saying what it is and what it does, why it's bad, whether we can use it to our advantage, how you can change or affect it, among other things.

I pretty much ignore it cause I wouldn't know what to do about it. I'd be interested in your thoughts.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:57 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Bump steer: The M03 has loads and I've learned to live with it. I tend to use the rearmost hole in the knuckles and try to keep the linkages as level as possible to minimize the effect. My front toe is fairly neutral at ride height. That helps a bit. You can use that extra bit of steering on the outside wheel to effectively reduce overall Ackermann.

In any case, I'm just talking out of my ass. I don't understand the effects well. I just try to minimize bump steer and the car goes around corners pretty good.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:54 PM
Tech Adept

Default B. S.

Years ago I went to great lengths to get rid of bump steer, using longer and longer stand offs, and the handling didn't get better, it got worse! Learn to love (some) bump steer. As Jim noticed, it gets rid of Ackerman (which to me is just the name of a phenomenon and not a tuning aid) and seems to help that outside wheel dig in and steer. All that toe-out we put in the front to make M03's track straight, goes away when the cars heel over in the turns...
Old 07-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I think you guys have the subject covered pretty well!

Personally, I'd just try to minimize it. The adjustment was made on my Formula Ford by shimming the height of the steering rack. It looks like my M05 is similar, and could easily be adjusted by placing some spacers under the inside balls for the steering links. Since my M05 has some toe-in on suspension compression, I might have to try that.

Since the front tires spend a huge portion of their time sliding, I'm guessing I probably won't notice much difference. It might help a little with the trailing-throttle oversteer my car exhibits towards the end of a heat.

I've never really fiddled with my car at all; I just bought it used here on RCTech and ran it the way it was. When I ran in Omaha, the car was fast enough that I had to turn down the throttle to have a good race with the other guys, so there was no point in trying to get more out of the car. But yesterday I finally got to race with Core Creations (Charlie) and a couple of other Minis at the local track, and the situation was MUCH different. My fast lap was about 1% off the pace, but I made up for it in consistency, and took TQ and the win. But those guys might have just been screwing with me!
Old 07-03-2013, 05:49 AM
Tech Regular

http://www.redrc.net/2013/07/tamiya-...n-chassis-kit/

Yes Gold. Precious Gold. Must be faster. Must have.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:23 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Old 07-03-2013, 06:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bizkit1
Sexy! Can you see a clear body with decals on this beauty?!
Old 07-03-2013, 12:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

That's a nice looking chassis. Certainly better than the M06 "last days of disco" edition.

I wonder what improvements were made to the suspension and if they'd translate to an M03.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
That's a nice looking chassis. Certainly better than the M06 "last days of disco" edition.

I wonder what improvements were made to the suspension and if they'd translate to an M03.
For sure nicer in the color choice than the M06R.
Suspension update on front is copied by M06 rear. Lower mounts more outside on the wishbone on the suspension pin. You can see it in the picture already...

Nice shelfer, but imagine scratches in this gold chassis from driving...

Br,
Matthias
Old 07-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It seems like grandpa just cant be nice on his posts or replies . He is always an ass to people who ask any type of question on the mini threads. I think thats why mini is such a hit and miss class . Fresno jay just go to rcmini.net and follow those hints and you wont have to deal with gpa and his negative attitude. I askew him once and that was all it took . Tim and the guys on rcmini.net are full of great info for m03 and m05 .
Hope this helps
Old 07-03-2013, 03:29 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by ruebiracer
For sure nicer in the color choice than the M06R.
Suspension update on front is copied by M06 rear. Lower mounts more outside on the wishbone on the suspension pin. You can see it in the picture already...

Nice shelfer, but imagine scratches in this gold chassis from driving...

Br,
Matthias
Ah, I see it now. I'd already tried that on my M03. Tamiya is copying me!

I didn't find it worthwhile on my car, but I didn't give it much time.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by demoman588
It seems like grandpa just cant be nice on his posts or replies . He is always an ass to people who ask any type of question on the mini threads. I think thats why mini is such a hit and miss class . Fresno jay just go to rcmini.net and follow those hints and you wont have to deal with gpa and his negative attitude. I askew him once and that was all it took . Tim and the guys on rcmini.net are full of great info for m03 and m05 .
Hope this helps
Wow, it seems as if I've earned the animus of a number of people on this thread. It saddens me a bit, but for the most part it matters not a whit to me. I'm too old to let this stuff bother me much, if at all.

It's obvious you never read my posts on set up advice to fresnojay. He and I worked out our differences via PMs which is where this stuff belongs. Also, you never read his post telling me he did a number of things I suggested and they helped cure his problems.

What your problem with me is, I haven't the vaguest idea. I recall getting PMs from you a while back, but don't recall the subject matter.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I haven't been reading the recent posts so I don't know what has been happening.
But grandpa was one of the people who answered my question quickly about a month ago.
Very helpful and knowledgeable was the impression I got.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:04 PM
MD
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)

Originally Posted by demoman588
Hope this helps
I don't personally know Grandpa. I've enjoyed a lot of his posts and learned a lot from them. He is not the person you describe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.