Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 01-06-2012, 10:32 PM
  #16441  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,583
Default

Originally Posted by Sith Lord
How would you "Do it yourself"?
There's info on home anodizing on the internet as well as kits that are sold to do this. Here's an example.

Also paintball forums seem to always have a thread or two about doing anodizing.
Sydewynder is offline  
Old 01-06-2012, 10:55 PM
  #16442  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,305
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

First things first. Holy crap, is my car hairy! You never notice until you take photos. (my wife wants to know what we're doing when we're "racing") I blame CRC and their silly, overpriced Ozite carpet. It's never my fault. Also: Damn! Forgot to do the wheel hexes.

I de-anodized the blue bits using over cleaner and then rinsed them in water. The darker surface you got is just a dark form of aluminum oxide. A quick scrub with a Scotchbrite pad fixes it. You can actually watch the oxide form in a matter of a few minutes. You can polish the pieces out as well, if you want shiny.

I'd like to re-anodize in black. There are tons of videos on YouTube showing the process. Just have to get around to it.

Attachment 858477

Attachment 858479

Last edited by monkeyracing; 08-12-2017 at 08:34 PM.
monkeyracing is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 02:10 AM
  #16443  
Tech Regular
 
Tim K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 297
Default

Originally Posted by Sydewynder
Nice Tim! Did you Do it yourself?
I took it to the anodisers myself

The red parts are perfect, but the orange parts have some problems with the tolerances not being as good as they were.

There are also different shades of red and orange on some of the parts. Even they all go through the process at the same time it depends on the quality of the alloy as to what colour you get.
The shock caps and the M05 racing steering set have more of a matt finish to them.
Tim K is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 03:30 AM
  #16444  
Tech Master
iTrader: (7)
 
I)arkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Victoria,Aus
Posts: 1,125
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

here is how they look on the car
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya mini cooper-picture-1.jpg  
I)arkness is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 05:09 AM
  #16445  
Tech Master
iTrader: (21)
 
Sith Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Posts: 1,405
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Nice. Just need to do that motor now!
Sith Lord is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 06:23 AM
  #16446  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (38)
 
caltek1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,422
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Brad,

Is that your car or someone elses? I thought you were an advocate of the SWB car. They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Each to there own.

I think I will stick to Tamiya blue. Although black would look better. Its a shame Tamiya do the wheel hexes in black, the m chassis shocks, but not much else.

Later,

Calvin.
caltek1 is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 02:06 PM
  #16447  
Tech Master
iTrader: (7)
 
I)arkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Victoria,Aus
Posts: 1,125
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by caltek1
Brad,

Is that your car or someone elses? I thought you were an advocate of the SWB car. They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Each to there own.

I think I will stick to Tamiya blue. Although black would look better. Its a shame Tamiya do the wheel hexes in black, the m chassis shocks, but not much else.

Later,

Calvin.

yes it was my car, about 10 months ago, in its brand new state, before i ran it on the track for the first time.

i only ran lwb at that time due to not being able to get the swb body i liked running, so i had not other choice but to use a lwb one i had sitting at home.

if anything when i was running it like that, it felt nothing like a mini to me, was too stable and so predictable. and couldn't wait to get it back to swb.
I)arkness is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 04:09 PM
  #16448  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
dirtman71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 314
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Anybody know where I can find some cheap 2s lipos roundsides?

I know I can get them but I dont want to pay $50-75 for one. A 3000 20c shouldnt cost more than $20.
dirtman71 is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 04:13 PM
  #16449  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,583
Default

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
First things first. Holy crap, is my car hairy! You never notice until you take photos. (my wife wants to know what we're doing when we're "racing") I blame CRC and their silly, overpriced Ozite carpet. It's never my fault. Also: Damn! Forgot to do the wheel hexes.

I de-anodized the blue bits using over cleaner and then rinsed them in water. The darker surface you got is just a dark form of aluminum oxide. A quick scrub with a Scotchbrite pad fixes it. You can actually watch the oxide form in a matter of a few minutes. You can polish the pieces out as well, if you want shiny.

I'd like to re-anodize in black. There are tons of videos on YouTube showing the process. Just have to get around to it.

Attachment 858477

Attachment 858479
Get KARZ to invest in a small air compressor. Does wonders to keep the fuzz off.
Sydewynder is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 04:21 PM
  #16450  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,583
Default

@Tim K

"I took it to the anodisers myself "

For that you get a
Sydewynder is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 04:24 PM
  #16451  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,583
Default

@I)arkness

Nice pic but where are your red nuts?
Sydewynder is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 04:27 PM
  #16452  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,583
Default

Originally Posted by dirtman71
Anybody know where I can find some cheap 2s lipos roundsides?

I know I can get them but I dont want to pay $50-75 for one. A 3000 20c shouldnt cost more than $20.

Hobbypartz has some GenAce fairly cheap.
Sydewynder is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 04:28 PM
  #16453  
MD
Tech Champion
iTrader: (136)
 
MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,723
Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by dirtman71
Anybody know where I can find some cheap 2s lipos roundsides?

I know I can get them but I dont want to pay $50-75 for one. A 3000 20c shouldnt cost more than $20.
Take a look at these.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/gensace25c1.html
MD is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 04:32 PM
  #16454  
MD
Tech Champion
iTrader: (136)
 
MD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,723
Trader Rating: 136 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Sydewynder
Hobbypartz has some GenAce fairly cheap.
Great minds think alike.
MD is offline  
Old 01-07-2012, 05:02 PM
  #16455  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (4)
 
dirtman71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 314
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by MD
How did I miss those....all my batteries come frome hobbypartz, I looked through there twice and didnt see them....Thanks
dirtman71 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.