Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 06-08-2011, 05:22 AM
  #15091  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (38)
 
caltek1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,422
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

The MO5 S Spec is due for release in mid July in Japan.

The new optional parts are due out after the kit has been released for a while, according to Champ, so that they sell the kits which are supposively limited.

Hopefully will have mine not long after release.

ska_seattle,

Just make sure you fit a Lipo cutoff to your mini if you are using old type ESC.

Later,

Calvin.
caltek1 is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 11:07 AM
  #15092  
Tech Adept
 
Shangrila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 122
Default

Thanks Calvin


On rcmini.net there has not been an update mentioning this, nor is it discussed much on here,

is there alot of benefit being found with upright shocks (using the extended shock tower) on asphalt?

I get the feeling it would work better than the std inclined layout.
Shangrila is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 02:51 PM
  #15093  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (38)
 
caltek1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,422
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Shangrila,

On the MO5 with the shocks in the standard position they are more progressive in how they work. I have added the Tamiya alloy shock tower and have found the car handles better on most surfaces.

I use the second outer hole on the tower and find the car more predictable to drive. On carpet I have found this also stops the front from biting in and slowing the car when cornering.

Just my thoughts.

Calvin.
caltek1 is offline  
Old 06-08-2011, 03:30 PM
  #15094  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (7)
 
tony gray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Melbourne, Australia. Home of rc-mini.net
Posts: 3,549
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Standard mounts - my car was soft and mushy and understeered
Optional mounts - more precise, craploads more steering, miles better.

Laid over shocks are always a compromise, the shock tends to pivot around the upper point instead of compressing.
tony gray is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 07:08 PM
  #15095  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Vancouver Canada
Posts: 129
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

What LIPO batteries fit in the M03 chassis ??

or , what are the dimensions of a battery that fits the M03 ?
Mr.Pink is offline  
Old 06-09-2011, 09:07 PM
  #15096  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (2)
 
Timbulb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,063
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

The batteries you sell fit in the M03.


edit: oops, you're not Mister Pink from Calgary.
Timbulb is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 01:12 AM
  #15097  
Dan
Tech Champion
iTrader: (75)
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 6,300
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

Had a nasty hit with my M05 at the track today and bent a steering knuckle. Any recommended upgrades? Or just one of those things where it was a big hit and I should just replace with stock?
Dan is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 01:59 AM
  #15098  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,305
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

If you're going to replace the steering knuckles (aluminum ones) be sure to stick with the Tamiya parts. The other brands may be cheaper, but there's a reason for it.

Jim
monkeyracing is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 02:39 AM
  #15099  
Dan
Tech Champion
iTrader: (75)
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 6,300
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

Actually bent the plastic stock ones. The Tamiya units are pricey. Guess I'm sticking to stock.
Dan is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 02:53 AM
  #15100  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (35)
 
cannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: A total distraction
Posts: 7,266
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by monkeyracing
If you're going to replace the steering knuckles (aluminum ones) be sure to stick with the Tamiya parts. The other brands may be cheaper, but there's a reason for it.

Jim
Jim

You are actually a long way off now days. Both 3 Racing and Yeah racing have changed a lot in the past few years. Their knuckles are very high quality now and far cheaper than the Tamiya parts
cannon is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 05:44 AM
  #15101  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,583
Default

Originally Posted by Dan
Actually bent the plastic stock ones. The Tamiya units are pricey. Guess I'm sticking to stock.
One reason for going Al knuckles is stripping kingpin holes. Hit the plastic knuckles enough and the holes stretch, the kingpins loosen and fall out.
Interesting that the "rubber" lower arms didn't give and you got a bent knuckle.

Were you at FPR, All Speed or Norcal?
Sydewynder is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 10:15 AM
  #15102  
Dan
Tech Champion
iTrader: (75)
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 6,300
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Sydewynder
One reason for going Al knuckles is stripping kingpin holes. Hit the plastic knuckles enough and the holes stretch, the kingpins loosen and fall out.
Interesting that the "rubber" lower arms didn't give and you got a bent knuckle.

Were you at FPR, All Speed or Norcal?
Hmm...could always use more blue eye candy... I was at Norcal yesterday and giving a try at the Reedy race layout. I was just running the silver can but pretty much had the throttle trigger pegged and with foam tires, it was stupid fun not letting off.

You going to be at All Speed this weekend or next? I may try to come out since I finally have a mini vacation.
Dan is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 11:11 AM
  #15103  
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,583
Default

Originally Posted by Dan
Hmm...could always use more blue eye candy... I was at Norcal yesterday and giving a try at the Reedy race layout. I was just running the silver can but pretty much had the throttle trigger pegged and with foam tires, it was stupid fun not letting off.

You going to be at All Speed this weekend or next? I may try to come out since I finally have a mini vacation.
Foams are fun.

You have PM
Sydewynder is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 12:53 PM
  #15104  
Tech Master
iTrader: (5)
 
superspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,168
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default foam tires

my opinion on using foam tires is it's less interesting/challenging to drive the vehicle.

m05 s-spec will be more expensive than other m chassis including the pro kits.
superspeed is offline  
Old 06-10-2011, 01:40 PM
  #15105  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (10)
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 6,305
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by cannon
Jim

You are actually a long way off now days. Both 3 Racing and Yeah racing have changed a lot in the past few years. Their knuckles are very high quality now and far cheaper than the Tamiya parts
I guess I'd have to say "once bitten, twice shy" to that, Tim. It's more like getting bitten a bunch of times, really. I haven't run any of the aftermarket knuckles in a few years, so perhaps the quality has improved, but I did have a bad run with them for a few years and watched others struggle as well.

I'll run aftermarket parts almost anywhere else on my car; uprights, dampers, steering components, axles, etc. have never presented me with a problem.
Still won't use aftermarket knuckles.

Jim
monkeyracing is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.