R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-15-2008, 07:44 AM   #31
Tech Adept

Hello,

I would like to take a minute to thank EP and Energy-G for making an awesome product for the new year! These cells perform very well and last as well as hold there match. I have had some EP's now for several months. I have charged them hard run them twice per day and they tested out very well on the matcher only losing about 25 seconds of run time! Not bad.

Like most I have wasted a great deal of money on IB's over the years. I have purchased new cells for major events with dead cells right out of the package...

Unfortunetly this circumstance has pushed many good people right out of the hobby... I can think of a handful right off the top of head...

If you know some of these people mabye give them a call and let them know that the matchers like SMC, Trinity, and Pro Match got fed up and forced the engineers to fix the problem. Mabye we can rescue some of these former racers and get the hobby moving in a better direction again.

Thanks again to the engineers and matching companies for doing the "right thing" for our hobby!

Just a thought.

Jeremy
Jeremy Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:50 AM   #32
Tech Adept

Hello,

I would like to take a minute to thank EP and Energy-G for making an awesome product for the new year! These cells perform very well and last as well as hold there match. I have had some EP's now for several months. I have charged them hard run them twice per day and they tested out very well on the matcher only losing about 25 seconds of run time! Not bad.

Like most I have wasted a great deal of money on IB's over the years. I have purchased new cells for major events with dead cells right out of the package...

Unfortunetly this circumstance has pushed many good people right out of the hobby... I can think of a handful right off the top of head...

If you know some of these people mabye give them a call and let them know that the matchers like SMC, Trinity, and Pro Match got fed up and forced the engineers to fix the problem. Mabye we can rescue some of these former racers and get the hobby moving in a better direction again.

Thanks again to the engineers and matching companies for doing the "right thing" for our hobby!

Just a thought.

Jeremy
Old 01-15-2008, 07:50 AM   #33
Tech Adept

Hello,

Just a thought.

Jeremy
Old 01-15-2008, 07:53 AM   #34
Tech Adept

Hello,

Just a thought.

Jeremy
Old 01-15-2008, 07:54 AM   #35
Tech Adept

Hello,

Just a thought.

Jeremy
Old 01-15-2008, 08:01 AM   #36
Tech Adept

SORRY! THE WEBSIGHT LOCKED UP AND I TRIED TO SUBMIT A NUMBER OF TIMES.

WELL I THINK MY POINT WAS MADE!

JEREMY
Old 01-15-2008, 08:03 AM   #37
Tech Fanatic

OMG!!!...I guess he thinks we're blind not to see his post.....
Tpg racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:42 PM   #38
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Bravo, a triskaideka post! On a bad note, you'll probably have bad juju for the rest of your life now...
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:05 PM   #39
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Otis View Post
Hello,

Just a thought.

Jeremy
Hmm, I wouldn't be thanking anyone... The fact is a lot of people quit racing because they couldn't afford to keep up with the Jones. A big part of this because was directly caused by the battery situation. I think most people will agree when I say that most people can't afford to buy new packs @ $60 a pop every two months. I personally stopped selling IBs by mid last year for this exact reason. Too many DOA or shorting cells... constant cell replacements. Only in the past few months have I started to match again now that we have some better choices. The truth is the reason the cells are better quality now is because of the competition between the battery manufacturers.

Here's some food for thought...

If IB cells never started exploding, SMC would probably still be selling them along with all the other companies and IB would probably still be producing cells that explode or go 0v. If Trinity didn't get distributorship of the EP and IB cell, the EG cell would have never been born. If constant pressure wasn't being applied by other companies such as Orion, Grewpow and E-power, one cell manufacturer would probably be dominating right the market now...

Which leads me to say again... competition is good. Innovation drives change. The innovative part about the past few months as far as cell design is that the cells can perform and STILL be reliable.

Anyway, now that the battery dilemma has been solved for the interim, maybe we can all get back to racing??
ghuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:27 PM   #40
Tech Champion

lol nevermind
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:50 PM   #41
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default battery dilemma

ghuber: good post, but I think you missed 1 point. The battery dilemma has not been solved, it has just gone back to what it was 1.5 years ago before the IB cells started exploding, and before most of the IB problems surfaced. Racers still need to keep buying cells, although now its every 4-6 months instead of every 2 months to stay competitive. Saying that a battery pack is great after you cycled it 3 times is not saying much to me. Let's see what happens after 25 cycles. Keeping up with the jones's in racing will never stop unless you go to handout batteries. Plus, do you really think that racer's won't buy new cells for big races?

Onto thanking the matchers. Thanking smc, promatch, etc for fixing a problem that was threatening their business is like thanking the chinese government for putting the pressure on factories to stop using lead paint. The point is that smc, trinity, promatch, etc, knew the battery situation was getting out of hand and did nothing to stop it, unless you count sponsoring more and more racers and blaming all of the problems on user error doing something. As long as the packs were being purchased, everything was a-ok. I especially like how smc immediately voided all warranties on IB (either IB or EP, can't remember) cells once trinity got the IB and EP accounts, now thats integrity.

Before brushless, and to a certain extent LIPO, the entire r/c racing scene had been going to one run motor, tires, and battery packs for racing (motors torn down between runs, new tires, and 2 or 3 run packs.) These same matchers and importers that are being thanked for saving their business are the ones who complained the loudest in front of and behind the scenes to keep the status quo, even as IB cells were exploding. I do have to give credit to smc, at least they kept some of their credability by rejecting some bad batches of cells, even though this is what probably cost them the accounts.

As some have pointed out, the only reason for EnerG cells is that once trinity got the IB and EP accounts, the profit margins on those cells would be reduced (since you have to pay an importer and middleman -> trinity,) and the search was on to maintain profits.

On some of my posts, the owners of smc, etc wrote, sarcastically, that they were impressed that I knew their business. I don't and don't pretend to, but I can piece together posts on rctech to reach a logical conclusion. If I am wrong, maybe the same owners can enlighten everyone on what really happened, and why so many racers lost so much money on junk cells.
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:23 AM   #42
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ToddFalkowski
Default Please make it stop.

I applaud the fact that people have enough time to think and write endless novels based on their feelings of companies and/or technologies in this hobby. Unfortunately, I, as well as many others have to pass through pages upon pages of these things to find something useful. Like most threads, it starts out with good information. While I don't totally disagree with some of the comments made, I've heard them 800 times now. Message received! I'm thinking the horse that is being beaten is not just dead, it's already on the shelves labeled "Elmer's"- probably at a retail chain that we can all sit and bash as well.

Thank you to the contributors that have had actual usable information to pass on.
ToddFalkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:31 AM   #43
Tech Master

Default restating points

Todd, while I applaud that you have heard the arguments many times and don't want to read them again, many others have not. Most of the posts on rctech.net are completely devoid of any useful information, so it is not just these posts.

The sad fact is that r/c hobbyists are treated like sheep and are fleaced out of their money at every opportunity.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:56 AM   #44
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ToddFalkowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjacobs View Post
Todd, while I applaud that you have heard the arguments many times and don't want to read them again, many others have not. Most of the posts on rctech.net are completely devoid of any useful information, so it is not just these posts.

The sad fact is that r/c hobbyists are treated like sheep and are fleaced out of their money at every opportunity.
Might I suggest a forum that completely discusses all the issues you feel are incorrect with this hobby and the manufacturers involved. It will be a true thread dedicated to your feelings, and not hidden and intertwined in multiple posts.

I would think that a true, dedicated thread would stay at the top of the forums (if everyone bought in and commented)
ToddFalkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:27 AM   #45
Tech Master

Default new thread

Now how can we have a thread dedicated to my feelings? That wouldn't be fair. (short enough of a post?)