R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-13-2008, 09:38 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default 15.5mm sintered rotor?

I noticed that the ROAR rules allow a 15.5mm rotor. If that stay the same for the new spec class I can see it being exploited to the max

It would need a whole new motor being made to fit the rotor in. If they start to allow slotless contruction that would be quite cheap to do anyway.

1/1 gearing anyone?
JevUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JevUK View Post
I noticed that the ROAR rules allow a 15.5mm rotor. If that stay the same for the new spec class I can see it being exploited to the max

It would need a whole new motor being made to fit the rotor in. If they start to allow slotless contruction that would be quite cheap to do anyway.

1/1 gearing anyone?

ROAR will be limiting the rotor diameter in the new Stock and Spec Mod BL classes. Not sure that final decision in dimension but its less than 13mm.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:09 AM   #3
Tech Regular

That's good.

I don't know how that 15.5mm thing sliped into the rules in the first place

I hope they don't do what the BRCA are considering and capping the motors at a price cheaper than all the good quality motors are sold for now.

I know the novak rotors are 12.5. But what about all the other makes?
Old 01-14-2008, 07:23 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

I believe the Novak rotors are 12.3mm
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:28 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JevUK View Post
That's good.

I don't know how that 15.5mm thing sliped into the rules in the first place

I hope they don't do what the BRCA are considering and capping the motors at a price cheaper than all the good quality motors are sold for now.

I know the novak rotors are 12.5. But what about all the other makes?
Like Tim said all Novaks use 12.3mm rotor out of the box. All LRP sintered rotors are 14mm but they will have 12.5 and 13mm rotors soon. GM, Orion, SP, motors use 12.0 to 13.5mm rotors depending on the application.

The bigger the rotor the more power you can get out of the motor but the more current it draws. Small rotors are good for 5 cell mod racing where you need to gain efficiency and you already have plenty of power already. Smaller rotors also have a softer feel so they can be better off road and in low traction conditions.

I hope ROAR makes the 13.5/10.5 rotor 12.5mm so everyone can be legal right away. If they go with 12.3mm only Novak motors will be legal until everyone else tools up for 12.3mm rotors.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:53 AM   #6
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post

I hope ROAR makes the 13.5/10.5 rotor 12.5mm so everyone can be legal right away. If they go with 12.3mm only Novak motors will be legal until everyone else tools up for 12.3mm rotors.
Since Novak has sold more 17.5, 13.5, and 10.5 motors than all the other companies combined, then we should expect Novak to re-do their rotor so the other companies don't have to?

More customers have already purchased the Novak motors with the 12.3mm rotors, so it would be a good idea to make the standard 12.5mm, so all the existing rotors are out of spec?
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I got the impression he meant that 12.5 or lower should be legalized, so that Novak would be legal, as well as Feigao's 12.5. I guess LRP is still out of the mix since they're off the charts at 14.

If the rules are going to be bent in favor of an existing company, it should undoubtedly be Novak. They're the incumbent, and were nice enough to lend their motor design to Feigao so they could copy it and resell it to a hundred different sticker manufacturers.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:47 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
I got the impression he meant that 12.5 or lower should be legalized, so that Novak would be legal, as well as Feigao's 12.5. I guess LRP is still out of the mix since they're off the charts at 14.
Please keep your eyes open for an announcement regarding LRP's ROAR "stock spec" brushless motors in 10.5, 13.5, 17.5, and 21.5 versions available in February.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Man, 12.5 is tiny!!! I wonder where that crazy dimension came from I would have thought that the brushless rules would make the motor dimensions closer to brushed. I guess not. I will keep running "oversize" rotors in my motors ... lol

http://kufman.com/img/lehner+pletty_rotor.JPG
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:24 PM   #10
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
Please keep your eyes open for an announcement regarding LRP's ROAR "stock spec" brushless motors in 10.5, 13.5, 17.5, and 21.5 versions available in February.
Good to hear. It sounds like the legit companies (LRP, Novak) are trying to do the right thing.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:40 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
Man, 12.5 is tiny!!! I wonder where that crazy dimension came from I would have thought that the brushless rules would make the motor dimensions closer to brushed. I guess not. I will keep running "oversize" rotors in my motors ... lol

http://kufman.com/img/lehner+pletty_rotor.JPG
Its meant to reduce the power of the motor for the spec classes and it works quite well.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:47 PM   #12
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
Since Novak has sold more 17.5, 13.5, and 10.5 motors than all the other companies combined, then we should expect Novak to re-do their rotor so the other companies don't have to?

More customers have already purchased the Novak motors with the 12.3mm rotors, so it would be a good idea to make the standard 12.5mm, so all the existing rotors are out of spec?
The the counter point, "Why should everyone on earth have to source custom 12.3mm magnets when 12.5's are readily available?" is equally valid.

It would be easier for you to switch than to expect everyone else to switch.

Kudos to Novak for getting the ball rolling on BL motors but seriously there has been enough Novak inspired rules. Its time to let someone else have an opinion.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:10 PM   #13
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

I do believe that the new rules that are going to be rolled out were decided upon from a consortium of manufacturers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
The the counter point, "Why should everyone on earth have to source custom 12.3mm magnets when 12.5's are readily available?" is equally valid.

It would be easier for you to switch than to expect everyone else to switch.

Kudos to Novak for getting the ball rolling on BL motors but seriously there has been enough Novak inspired rules. Its time to let someone else have an opinion.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:19 PM   #14
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPotter View Post
I do believe that the new rules that are going to be rolled out were decided upon from a consortium of manufacturers.
and it sure would be nice to see those rules with the carpet nats 2 months away
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:20 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post

Steady there Charlie

The reason I said 12.5mm was to include novak 12.3mm rotors not to exclude them(I should have said upto 12.5mm). Your motors with 12.3mm already out perform lrp's with 12.5mm so you have nothing to fear .

And if 12.5mm is the limit you can release a new 12.49mm rotor for a 0.5% increase in performance over your 12.3mm's. I'd hope you are now working on a 2nd gen motor anyway for 2009? Lrp are already on their 2nd gen and not far behind you guys now .

What the RC racing scene needs is a easy to spec motor build spec available in various winds for any clubs specific requirements. Novak have been very good in that resect to understand that each club and class may need their own wind.

Would it have been better if all rotors were interchangable betwen brands?

Manufactures had the option to make their rotors fit novak and visa versa and they opted not to. Did this decision consider what was best for the racers?

We maybe too far down the road now to bring interchangable rotors into the equation.

Last edited by JevUK; 01-15-2008 at 09:15 AM.