R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-16-2008, 01:13 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

[QUOTE=JevUK;4076923]Well to be fair, it already has.

Mod class is breathing it's last breath.

you speak some rubbish some times jev the only reason people don't do it one because most clubs dont entertain the class and the other is people dont think they have the equipment to compeate, brushless levels the playing field dramaticly i not sure where you have been but the brushless mod in touring cars have increase a hell of alot since brushless has been brca legal hows about you turn up to some proper race meets and see what mod brushless is all about.
stuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:06 PM   #17
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=stuey;4082581]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JevUK View Post
reason people don't do it one because most clubs dont entertain the class and the other is people dont think they have the equipment to compeate,
Is that why you never did it in the first place?

People wanted to run brushless instead of the brushed that you love so much. Now they don't have to do mod to run brushless the tables have turned.

5 cell slowed mod down, another reason more people tried it. 10.5 will speed up, cell will take MUCH less abuse than 5 cell. Packs are easy to get from anywhere in the world and are a sensible layout.

5 cell is stupid, and you don't think so. Tough luck
JevUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:07 PM   #18
Tech Regular

double post
Old 01-16-2008, 04:54 PM   #19
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

jev you need to get to some race meeting if you realy think 5 cell is slower you are very much mistaken

i never done mod because at the time i wasn't good enough
stuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:15 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

this is def going to be an awesome brushless speed contol, i own the mrt pro speedy , and i must the it puts the rest of the other speedys to rest.

www.scrccc.com
www.harrisrc.com.au "WORLDS BEST CELLS"
xxblackheartxx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:18 AM   #21
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuey View Post
jev you need to get to some race meeting if you realy think 5 cell is slower you are very much mistaken

i never done mod because at the time i wasn't good enough
Mate you have always been good enough to do mod. The hardest thing racing mod is getting setups right and that is something you have a lot more patience at than me.

I have been racing at Aldershot. I couldn't do thursdays at medway and west kent is always fully booked. The new Maritime venue looks great, I do hope to race there sooner or later.

Last meeting at aldershot, how many 5 cell mod? 1. Yep one. Numoro uno .

I know 5 cell is faster and I know it is much easier on motor and speedo. But it's opened up a can of worms of future problems.

When MRT finaly release a brushless, it will be the best there is. But I hope it's even better than that.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:44 AM   #22
Tech Master

[QUOTE=JevUK;4082954]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuey View Post

Is that why you never did it in the first place?

People wanted to run brushless instead of the brushed that you love so much. Now they don't have to do mod to run brushless the tables have turned.

5 cell slowed mod down, another reason more people tried it. 10.5 will speed up, cell will take MUCH less abuse than 5 cell. Packs are easy to get from anywhere in the world and are a sensible layout.

5 cell is stupid, and you don't think so. Tough luck
With all due respect, that's a load of rubbish. Last year mod was the most popular class and a lot of drivers have stepped up from 27T and 19T and will not step back. It's by far the best class out there, and the new pro stock class will not change that.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #23
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=TRF415boy;4086960]
Quote:

With all due respect, that's a load of rubbish. Last year mod was the most popular class and a lot of drivers have stepped up from 27T and 19T and will not step back. It's by far the best class out there, and the new pro stock class will not change that.
There were twice as many still doing motor spec classes and national racing is just a small amount of all 1/10 elec racers in the uk. Most clubs have minimal to none 5 cells runners.

If the brca gets the 10.5 class wrong then yeah 5 cell will contrinue to be more popular. It's still a total fudge.

So now we have the stupid situation where manufactures are making 5 cell specific chassis. 5 cell packs cant be used for any other racing, and there is no way to introduce lipo packs. Then you have the crazy weight limit, god knows where they plucked that number from.

So now you've got people buying cars and battery packs specific to this class which is doomed.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:49 AM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Jev, I thought you was in favour of 5 cell, or maybe it was someone else and I got mixed up!

Whatever happens our brushless controller will be for modified racing (and anything below in Stock, Pro Stock etc).. whatever batteries are used in mod, 5 cell 6V, 7.2V or 7.4V .. lower voltage or higher?? Whatever!! I agree with you having battery packs for one specific class is not the best way to encourage participation in the Modified TC class.

On a different but related subject I'm hearing about rumblings within 'stock' BL.. having adjustable timing in the speedo is creating concern about a level playing and equal performance from the motors. Maybe time to introduce power limiters the ultimate equaliser!
Terry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:19 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_S View Post
Jev, I thought you was in favour of 5 cell, or maybe it was someone else and I got mixed up!

Whatever happens our brushless controller will be for modified racing (and anything below in Stock, Pro Stock etc).. whatever batteries are used in mod, 5 cell 6V, 7.2V or 7.4V .. lower voltage or higher?? Whatever!! I agree with you having battery packs for one specific class is not the best way to encourage participation in the Modified TC class.

On a different but related subject I'm hearing about rumblings within 'stock' BL.. having adjustable timing in the speedo is creating concern about a level playing and equal performance from the motors. Maybe time to introduce power limiters the ultimate equaliser!

I was in favour of 4 cell as a posibilty but 5 cells is = Was one of the reason it got passed by efra was to block lipos so battery matchers could carry on sponging racers?

People were doing testing with 4 cell and the response was mixed. Ultimately if good motor restriction were introduced like what roar are doing then a reduction in cells is just not needed.

Motor timing is not going to be a big issue, loads of people have experiement with it and found it just shifts the power band. If a company like MRT were to do clever things with the timing on the fly then I don't see a problem with that. Other companies will soon catch on a we will reach an equilibrium.

Gota think about how better for the environment these brushless motors are The world is running short on copper to be burnining it up racing toy cars .
Old 01-18-2008, 02:26 PM   #26
Tech Master

[QUOTE=JevUK;4090980]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF415boy View Post

There were twice as many still doing motor spec classes and national racing is just a small amount of all 1/10 elec racers in the uk. Most clubs have minimal to none 5 cells runners.

If the brca gets the 10.5 class wrong then yeah 5 cell will contrinue to be more popular. It's still a total fudge.

So now we have the stupid situation where manufactures are making 5 cell specific chassis. 5 cell packs cant be used for any other racing, and there is no way to introduce lipo packs. Then you have the crazy weight limit, god knows where they plucked that number from.

So now you've got people buying cars and battery packs specific to this class which is doomed.
Err i don't know where you've been, but there were always more entrants to modified than any other class, at every single round. In fact, if you count how many people did more than half the rounds (a "complete" championship), there are about 33/35 in stock and superstock, and more than 50 in mod. 5-cell is far from being doomed you'll see.

4-cell is a stupid class, it's stupidly slow and that's why it wasn't adopted.

I race 5-cell mod only even at club meetings and there's always people to race with me.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:21 AM   #27
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=TRF415boy;4091622]
Quote:

Err i don't know where you've been, but there were always more entrants to modified than any other class, at every single round. In fact, if you count how many people did more than half the rounds (a "complete" championship), there are about 33/35 in stock and superstock, and more than 50 in mod. 5-cell is far from being doomed you'll see.

4-cell is a stupid class, it's stupidly slow and that's why it wasn't adopted.

I race 5-cell mod only even at club meetings and there's always people to race with me.
Ok so maybe total round attend ia more blanced between 27+19 and mod. But banging on about how many attended nationals isn't going fix the problems with 5 cell.

You know a lot of people are trying it because there was no other option to run brushless. If there were one spec brushless class with a good set of rules with 6 cells we will wait and see what happens .

I hope these new roar class go global and I hope 5 cell doesn't. But I don't think I have much to worry about there .
Old 03-22-2008, 04:02 PM   #28
Tech Adept

Back on topic for a bit, any progress to report on this Terry?

Cheers
Peter
Pedro 51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:46 AM   #29
Tech Adept

Will the new ESC also run brushed?
forum fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #30
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi Peter, sorry no news to report.

Hi forum fodder, we're unlikely to run brushed if it adds to the complication setting up and using the ESC. If it compromises performance in any way then it won't be included, our new ESC will be aimed solely at the top end competition market.
Terry_S is offline   Reply With Quote