R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-28-2003, 08:26 AM   #511
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to synapse79
Default news and stuff (and diffs)

cleaned up with the atlas at my local tracks last big indoor race. Deffinitely keeping this car around for next season...

Ran my first pack of GP cells.. man did i miss the boat.. Ive been a sanyo loyalist since 1200SCR cells came out. But, if ur not using GP cells right now, ur deffinitely not as fast as you could be. They are heavy tho. 3.58 with sanyos 3.62 with GPs, everything else the same(including lead).

on diffs, I would have to say that a oneway diff can be faster around the track than a ball diff. Ive tested them ALOT. Ive even tested oneways on a xxxs with different ratios between the diffs(essentially running 2wd). I however have switched back to a ball diff for two reasons. First, the atlas has a oneway lay shaft(reason two belts are good, but still suck to work on) which still allows for increased corner speed coming into the corner, so it is only lacking the extra pull coming out. Second, ball diffs allow for more consistant lap times, and thats what wins races. I give up a tenth or two iwth the ball diff(tight carpet track), but can make all my laps iwth in a tenth or two of each other.

I was counting the TI screws in my car and lost count around 50!!! and they are not all Titanium. There are way too many screws in this thing, but it is fast, and consistent.

later
synapse79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 08:31 AM   #512
Tech Adept

Default GPs

besides the speed, the green and purple cells look great in the atlas... The GMv12 also nearly matches that anodizing, been running that for years tho...

Its not only when you get there, but how you got there too, right?? Unless ur sponsored, then its just when you got there...
Old 04-28-2003, 12:09 PM   #513
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Claydoh

We had our second test & tune meet Sunday. I qual'd 4th for the A but my 6month old GP's dumped. Doing some tests to make sure they are dead or a bad charge off the car battery. (We don't have AC at our outdoor track). I admit the one-way makes it harder to be consistent but it sure is fast. I had my monster stock geared 26/90 but it seemed a little slow out of the corners and came off hotter than I ever seen a monster. oops, hehe. The track was small with 3 180's. The one-way was a handful but when I went to a 25/90 it was dead on. And now that I know my batts are shot, I will be ballistic when I get new cells. My buddy is gonna get a type-T when Integy has them eBay for $160 again. I remember getting static about getting parts and all that but they all stopped that. The Atlas is fast and reliable. I left my setup the same from my post and didn't change a thing. Worked great with sorex 32's. Could have gone to 36's but didn't wanna buy them yet.

Syn, what class you run your atlas in?
Claydoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 01:03 PM   #514
Tech Adept

mainly just stock...

how old were ur GPs, how many amps do you charge them at? might as well tell me what charger ur using and what the cutoff is set at.

I know they are fast, but i dont know how reliable they are. I got a set of HVs that are about 3years old that are still fast, not as fast as GPs tho, but they did prove they're reliable...

Where do you guys get ur parts from?

I work for a shop that is an integy dealer, so i get a big discount, but integy is a HUGE PAIN to deal with. It either takes a miracle or a small fortune in shipping to get parts the same week, among other issues. Needless to say i have a huge part support now, from ordering extra stuff i thought i might need. The car is damn reliable though, only broke a hub carrier and thats cuz one king pin screw fell out and I hit something hard after that. If everybody is driving scrappy(everybody diving for the same corner, usually at the start) you know you can be aggressive and come out with a functional car. On a few occasions ive "shared" the same line with a TC3 and the TC3 with thin arms and hub carriers was not so lucky...

on a totally seperate note, ran some practice laps with an f201, or whatever the tamyia F1 car is called, with a novak brushless setup, and its pretty cool. You dont realize the insane amount of time you spending tuning ur motor til you have a motor thats totally sealed. Allows you to focus harder on other things, namely the car... It will be an interesting time when everybody is running brushless motors...
Old 04-28-2003, 04:30 PM   #515
Tech Regular

My gp's were about 6months old but I run the same pack all the time. I mean, I tape a pack in and leave it till it's dead. I get about 6months out of packs this way. I have a duratrax digital, like the Integy 16x3 or 4, not sure which. I charge at 5 amps. Most the guys I know buy 2 packs a year or so so I figure I'm getting the same milage as they are with less work.

I haven't broken anything yet. It's a tough car. And we when were racing on carpet it was rough. Lots of hits but it just kept going.

I can't wait till BL catches on. Screw all this motor maintence. I wanna concentrate on driving. And it will be so cheap in the long run.

I have an f201 and love it. F1 is the biggest single class where I race. It's just taking off so we are trying to keep it spec till enough people get into it then we'll split to f1-spec and f1-unlimited.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:59 PM   #516
Tech Adept

that is an interesting battery strategy

F1 has been off and on here but has never been very big, last few months its been totally dead. When there were races it was with 2wd chassis. I practiced with it quite a bit, because driving a sedan around was easy, slow and methodical compared to driving a light, hot, 2wd openwheel around.

the F201 doesnt have much appeal to me because its too much like a sedan IMO, with the exception being its open wheel.

I would have more interest in the F1 class if there were a class with the tamyia type cars with 4wheel independant suspension intead of a straight axle, but 2wd. Im sure the 2wd F1 class is prolly dead tho. If the F201 cars become more popular maybe I'll get one, this one dude is big on trying to start a brushless class with those cars...
Old 04-29-2003, 12:02 AM   #517
Tech Adept

BTW, the F201 i was practicing with today was all graphite, only plastic parts left were the diff cases. It was sharp. If i got one, of course it would have to be like that...
Old 04-29-2003, 07:58 PM   #518
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

hey fellas,
good to hear of your successes. unfortunately, i haven't any to share with you. i again had the atlas out, this time with a base setup for asphalt. i had the front oneway in on a surface that's typically high bite. well, some sand had coated the surface over the winter. i dunno how it landed there, but it certainly changed the characteristics of the surface. immediately the oneway had to go. the car still sucked, so i began to do what i had on carpet since the "sucky" feeling was the same i had experienced indoors. this was to flip the front mount for antidive. the car certainly became better. not great, but better. i'm not sure if it's a castor issue, or the antidive that helps me so much, since i have to change them both in one operation. man, i'm so baffled at the descriptions of how all of your cars are handling. smooth, predictable. mine has always been just the opposite, without flipping the mount. no, i don't have it backwards to start. i get so much steering that i'm at 70% d/r and 3* rear toe to keep the rear planted. and i still have to be careful. this is with a oneway, but it had the same tendencies on ozite with double diffs. i'm 0 for 2 with this car. i must be missing something key. and it's the same both directions. no tweak, no binding, same epa's l/r. i dunno. where's this so called smoothness?

i think i just don't like the feeling of cars with a large degree of castor. it makes the car feel whippy through switchbacks. with the atlas i can feel that tendency even in softer turns. huh. fellas?
Old 04-30-2003, 12:23 PM   #519
Tech Regular

Well, I am not that great a tuner. I let some others drive mine and they asked how I could drive it like that. The dual one-ways are a shock to all the stock tc3 guys I race with. I wonder how I would do with dual diff's.

I can tell ya how mine is set but no idea if I am close to right or wrong. But I know the only reason I'm not winning A mains is small mistakes on my part. Too late into corners, scraping boards and cutting to the wrong sides for passes. General rookie mistakes. The car could win, I can't.

Choking, the story of my life
Old 05-03-2003, 03:13 AM   #520
Tech Initiate

Default Set-up

Thanks Claydoh, I took your set-up and basically copied it...and man did the car rock! It was my first time running one-ways and I loved it. The car absolutely hooked up.

Anybody know if the SI model is a big improvement on the Type-T? I am thinking of picking up a SI as well but want to know if it is worth it, as I have never seen one run.

Thanks.
Dragnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 05:41 AM   #521
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to Macky Send a message via Yahoo to Macky
Default Re: Set-up

Quote:
Originally posted by Dragnet
Thanks Claydoh, I took your set-up and basically copied it...and man did the car rock! It was my first time running one-ways and I loved it. The car absolutely hooked up.

Anybody know if the SI model is a big improvement on the Type-T? I am thinking of picking up a SI as well but want to know if it is worth it, as I have never seen one run.

Thanks.
I may sell my Si. Let me know if your interested.
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 05:00 PM   #522
Tech Regular

Dragnet, glad that worked for ya. Did you use Losi silver springs? I was gonna try Losi reds but they are too long. Anybody know how Yokomo springs fit? Is the length ok?

And if you were thinking of getting an Si, Macky's would be the one to get. His stuff is top drawer.
Old 05-03-2003, 05:22 PM   #523
Tech Initiate

Default Stock springs

Just ran the stock springs as I don't have the Losi ones. I do have the Tamiya hard spring set though. I may try throwing a stiffer spring on the front. All in all the car seemed to handle well. I don't have my setup station so I just guessed on the camber, toe, castor etc. I am new to RC so I guess anything would be a big improvement on my old TA03! I did find that my car was a little slower going into the turns then my buddies Factory team TC03's but the Atlas was a whole lot faster out of the turns and down the straight. Is this due to me running the one way up front? Any way to dial in a little more corner entry speed without sacrificing exit speed?

Thanks again for the info!
Old 05-03-2003, 08:33 PM   #524
Tech Regular

I don't have the kit springs, loaned them out and never got them back. I think those are really close to the losi silvers.

Not sure what to tell ya about the entry speed. I know I am a little slower going in cuz I have to let off a little sooner than the dual diff cars. Is that what your doing? Setup wise, I wouldn't know where to start without seeing you run. Is it shakey going in? Does it want to spin out on ya?
Old 05-04-2003, 10:42 AM   #525
Tech Initiate

Default Entry speed

Yeah it was just an issue of me letting off the throttle a little earlier then the dual diff cars. I was just wondering if there is any way to make a one way enter a turn as fast a dual diff car. I guess it probably just takes a lot of practice.

Any hop ups you guys know of that will improve the Type-T?