Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foam Tires on Asphalt Setup? TC5

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Tech Adept

Questions?? Foam Tires on Asphalt Setup? TC5

I'm trying to get my TC5 setup with foam tires/asphalt for the track we have here in Las Vegas. It is prepped regularly and I just made the switch to foam (what a difference!). Before I switched tires I was using Ryan Cavalieri's setup sheet (Reedyrace 2007) for rubber/asphalt, but with the foam I'm guessing I can get a lot more out of my TC with a different suspension setup. Right now I'm using copper springs in the front and silver in the rear, with Jaco Prism dbl pink/orange fronts and lilac rears. If anyone can give me some tips (springs, oil, droop, etc) I'd really appreciate it! I'm new to on-road cars and haven't had any luck finding any setup info. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jamie007
I'm trying to get my TC5 setup with foam tires/asphalt for the track we have here in Las Vegas. It is prepped regularly and I just made the switch to foam (what a difference!). Before I switched tires I was using Ryan Cavalieri's setup sheet (Reedyrace 2007) for rubber/asphalt, but with the foam I'm guessing I can get a lot more out of my TC with a different suspension setup. Right now I'm using copper springs in the front and silver in the rear, with Jaco Prism dbl pink/orange fronts and lilac rears. If anyone can give me some tips (springs, oil, droop, etc) I'd really appreciate it! I'm new to on-road cars and haven't had any luck finding any setup info. Thanks in advance!
Good luck with that no one runs foam on asphalt in a serious fashion...at least here in the US. They ran faom outdoors in the North East years ago but went back to rubber tires. Foams wear fast and you really have to keep up with gear ratio, ride height, droop and camber settings as the tires wear.

Even die hard foam carpet guys are switching to rubber tires.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Adrian we have never met but just reading your comments for the last few months makes me wonder why jason would ever hire a blohard like you? You can't be good for his business the way you shut down everyone's ideas, comments, and questions. I have come back to the sport after years away and I dropped TC because I like the way foam tires work, just maybe there are others that feel this way and instead of reading about how on road is thinning out people might start returning if you stopped telling everyone how they should be thinking.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

If you run gas car rubber, it will be fine. I would stay away from from carpet tires. Having run foams on asphalt, I think it is good as long as the surface is decent.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Like robk mentioned you are better off running Nitro foams. They are made for asphalt and last longer. If you are racing at silver bowl i know tire wear is at .5 to .8 every 10min. for nitro sedans. Tire wear should be a lot better on a lighter electric car.....

As for setup just make sure you are running the right compound before messing to much with the suspension...
Old 01-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Notso
Adrian we have never met but just reading your comments for the last few months makes me wonder why jason would ever hire a blohard like you? You can't be good for his business the way you shut down everyone's ideas, comments, and questions. I have come back to the sport after years away and I dropped TC because I like the way foam tires work, just maybe there are others that feel this way and instead of reading about how on road is thinning out people might start returning if you stopped telling everyone how they should be thinking.

Look...the nature of message boards is that people ask the same questions over an over. Think about me answering questions and helping racers on Trinity Tech Talk starting in the late 90's then RCTouring.com and RCTech.net since the first day it went live up until today.

There are a few issues that have been gone over and over ad nauseum and have been almost unanimously agreed upon that I put up short responses that you may interpret as being a blowhard.

A lot of people here know me pretty well and they will tell you that you have the wrong opinion of me.

FYI, If you want to know why MOST sedan racers are against foam on asphalt do a search for "Foam vs. Rubber" and set aside A LOT of time to read the thread.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Tech Initiate

You could have a look at John Stranahan's thread Associated factory team TC5,Brushless,Lipo,Li-on nanophosphate,Tips and Tricks.He tried foam tires for a while with the TC5.Here in New Zealand we use foam tires (we are not allowed to use tire additives at all).I use Jaco nitro shoes 35 degrees front and rear normally.Rubber tires down here are only used in stock class racing.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Tech Adept

Yes I am running at the silverbowl, and everyone out here is using foam, but they are all nitro guys, I have yet to meet anyone running electric.

Thanks POPSO1! I just found the thread you mentioned and it has a ton of great info. AdrianM mentioned a thread, rubber vs. foam, but I did a search and couldn't find it. I ran my car twice with the foams and tire wear wasn't too bad, but the front tires outside edge was a little chewed up. I didn't measure them before and after, but next time I will. Thanks for your suggestions, and if anyone has a setup sheet they want to share I would appreciate it.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jamie007
Yes I am running at the silverbowl, and everyone out here is using foam, but they are all nitro guys, I have yet to meet anyone running electric.

Thanks POPSO1! I just found the thread you mentioned and it has a ton of great info. AdrianM mentioned a thread, rubber vs. foam, but I did a search and couldn't find it. I ran my car twice with the foams and tire wear wasn't too bad, but the front tires outside edge was a little chewed up. I didn't measure them before and after, but next time I will. Thanks for your suggestions, and if anyone has a setup sheet they want to share I would appreciate it.
Hi jamie, try borrowing someones tire truer and cut your tires down to 60mm and your car should work a lot better. Another tip I could recomend is to find out what shore the sedan nitro guys are running and just go 1 shore harder than them. Electric cars have more steering and grip for the most part so Its safe to go harder compound on electric compared to nitro cars. Just make sure you are running nitro compounds for asphalt....
Old 01-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Tech Champion

Hey guys, I happen to have been part of Team Schumacher and worked with Adrian during that time where we in the North East ran alot of foams outside. If I remember correctly, we ran purple's and plaids for the most part. You run your tires taller than on carpet and when they get to about 57mm you put them away and then tru them for carpet. If nothing else, they are practice tires.

Oh and don't worry Adrian,

We still love ya
Old 01-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Tech Champion

Try 37 shore if you don't have any other info. That was always a good tire.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Notso

NOTSO,

I can vouch for Adrian. He and I have butted heads on occasion but he is right on with why his answers are so short. From the TT site to the HPI site the RC Touring site.....etc. it has been the same things over and over for years. I can see why Adrian's patience is wearing out. He even did a stint on the Ex-Com with ROAR. His opinions have a lot of experience behind them. We all should listen to what guys like him have to say and weigh it in our own deliberations. In the end, only you can make the decision as to what is right for you.

See you at the track on Saturday.

Art
Old 01-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi Jamie ,you could also try the Hobby direct forum (www.hobbydirect.co.nz/) ,Electric R/C Cars & Trucks, the Ask Damon Slavich thread ,he's a leading racer who has a TC5 and has been racing the car with foam tires so should have a setup available that you could try.Hope that helps otherwise I can give you a run down of my experiences of foam tires using a Corally PHI.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Jaco Nitro Shoes are great. Use the 37 REAR and 37Fronts to start with.

Kyosho 35 REAR and 38Front are the best combo I have tried, but they are more expensive...

Do not use carpet tires on asphat!
Old 01-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by yyhayyim
Jaco Nitro Shoes are great. Use the 37 REAR and 37Fronts to start with.

Kyosho 35 REAR and 38Front are the best combo I have tried, but they are more expensive...

Do not use carpet tires on asphalt!
I didn't know the prism's were carpet only, doh! They worked pretty darn good though!

I looked on stormer hobbies site, and I do not see Jaco 37, but I did see 38 shore. So I just ordered up a set. I hoping I won't have to tru them? I don't have anything to do that, plus right now I'm just learning how to drive on-road, and won't be competing any time soon. I might have to adjust my body (DNA1) a bit to make them fit. Thanks for the suggestions!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.