R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   goin' lipo (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/199581-goin-lipo.html)

RussB 01-07-2008 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by syndr0me (Post 4050791)
I wouldn't get too caught up comparing C ratings between companies, as it's mostly a marketing term, and extremely subjective in how it's measured from one company to the next.

All of the packs should suit you quite well. The Kokam cells Orion uses are quite a bit better quality than the others. You will hear a lot of people on here say different, but they really don't know, they're just saying what they use is good. With that said, the voltage will probably be lower than the others (safer chemistry), so if you're racing against people with hot NiMH, you might find the increased voltage is important to you.

I'd say, the most important thing is to first find a pack that fits in your car (w/hard case) and allows you to add enough weight to be legal. That's really the biggest challenge. As for picking one battery or the other, that's a little harder. All the packs you mentioned give you all the great advantages of LiPo, so it's like comparing really great against really really great. Either way, you're going to be fine. Do you know or race with linger there in NorCal? He's probably the best guy to chat with about your decision if you want facts, and not just a bunch of opinions from guys on the Internet that have never tried more than whatever brand of battery they're telling you is the best.

safety is a key factor in me wanting to stick to orion. i'd hate to lose something of value because of an rc battery, and i've not heard on story of an orion pack having a problem.

as for car, i have a jrxs-r so it should all be good.

Skruger 01-07-2008 11:17 PM

The jrxs-r will fit the trackpower 4900 and The orion 4800 ,Heck the care was designed around them :eek:

BlackedOutREVO 01-07-2008 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by RussB (Post 4050862)
safety is a key factor in me wanting to stick to orion. i'd hate to lose something of value because of an rc battery, and i've not heard on story of an orion pack having a problem.

as for car, i have a jrxs-r so it should all be good.

I havent heard of orion stuff or TrakPower, or Core really....... The only reason is it was monitored, like being over discharged, or it flies out in a crash, and if it gets tweaked in a crash, let it sit for 10 mins, and if it doesnt puff, they say its fine...... I have been running my BL converted cars (Had E revo, Had a BL CRT, Now I have a really custom CRT.5, Crap I have lipos in my micro t LOL) I have been doing BL stuff and lipos for 4 years now, and havent had a lipo fire, explosion or any of that............ All I do is check voltage (charger does that..) And check over settings, and still havent had a problem, while I had 2 IB packs vent out of the blue........

Orion packs have a fuse in them, which is really cool, so if you plug it in backwards, it just blows the fuse out.... But shoot I have plugged in my TrakPower backwards, it it sparked and crap lol, and im still running it, dont let the horror stories worry you, There no more dangerous then ni mh, just ask anyone here that runs lipo's, and im sure they will agree.....

No matter what pack you get, you WILL love them, and they will be a big upgrade from nimh:D:D:D:D:D:D

syndr0me 01-07-2008 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by RussB (Post 4050862)

If that's the case, then you want an Orion pack, without question. They should all perform well, just find the one that best suits your needs. LiPo is similar in the sense that a pack with more capacity won't get as deep into its discharge curve over a given amount of time. It doesn't seem to be as drastic with LiPo as NiMH, though. I really liked the 4800's, and felt like they ended a race a bit stronger than the 3200's, though it was really close. I haven't tried the new pack yet.

Most people find they need to gear up when using LiPo to achieve the same speeds as before. I generally have to go up 3 - 4 teeth.

Let us know what you think. I know there's a lot of negativity toward LiPo on here, thanks mostly to the zealots (yes, I did my part), but when you leave all that behind and just run them, it's pretty nice. Good luck!

P.S. Lots of people like to talk about price. The cells Orion uses are significantly more expensive than the Chinese cells used by many of their competitors. It's been speculated that Orion would have the lowest profit margin of all the companies selling LiPo because of the cost of the cells. It's easy to take a shot at someone's pricing when you're sourcing cells that are 1/4 the wholesale price of your competitor. What you're buying with these packs is not only safety, but ridiculous cycle life, likely beyond anything we'd need in R/C. It could easily be argued that these are by far the safest cells for use in R/C, and that includes NiMH. That's the kind of thing you get when spending a few extra bucks on quality cells. In my opinion, it's well worth it.

joe of loath 01-08-2008 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by syndr0me (Post 4050915)
If that's the case, then you want an Orion pack, without question. They should all perform well, just find the one that best suits your needs. LiPo is similar in the sense that a pack with more capacity won't get as deep into its discharge curve over a given amount of time. It doesn't seem to be as drastic with LiPo as NiMH, though. I really liked the 4800's, and felt like they ended a race a bit stronger than the 3200's, though it was really close. I haven't tried the new pack yet.

Most people find they need to gear up when using LiPo to achieve the same speeds as before. I generally have to go up 3 - 4 teeth.

Let us know what you think. I know there's a lot of negativity toward LiPo on here, thanks mostly to the zealots (yes, I did my part), but when you leave all that behind and just run them, it's pretty nice. Good luck!

P.S. Lots of people like to talk about price. The cells Orion uses are significantly more expensive than the Chinese cells used by many of their competitors. It's been speculated that Orion would have the lowest profit margin of all the companies selling LiPo because of the cost of the cells. It's easy to take a shot at someone's pricing when you're sourcing cells that are 1/4 the wholesale price of your competitor. What you're buying with these packs is not only safety, but ridiculous cycle life, likely beyond anything we'd need in R/C. It could easily be argued that these are by far the safest cells for use in R/C, and that includes NiMH. That's the kind of thing you get when spending a few extra bucks on quality cells. In my opinion, it's well worth it.

trakpower use enerland cells...

goodtunes1978 01-08-2008 05:57 AM

personally i like the orions i have had a 3200 for a while and well over 500 cycles on it now and it still gives me the same performance as my new ones do i can not complain about the consistency at all

BlackedOutREVO 01-08-2008 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by joe of loath (Post 4051393)

Yeah.....

If you go to a heli forum, Flight power is THE bomb! And a TrakPower is the same cells, just in a hard case......

Flight power in the heli's, planes, and in BL car conversions, there the best lipos money can buy, and there not the most expensive of all brands.....

syndr0me 01-08-2008 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by joe of loath (Post 4051393)

Yea. The cycle life graphs for Enerland look like NiMH. Nice voltage, though. I'm using them now in my CORE pack.

bigemike 01-08-2008 10:04 AM

The smc 5000mah lipo is really strong, It is crazy power, and fits the xray 007/008 like a glove, no mods needed.

BlackedOutREVO 01-08-2008 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by syndr0me (Post 4051952)
Yea. The cycle life graphs for Enerland look like NiMH. Nice voltage, though. I'm using them now in my CORE pack.

Not flight power/TrakPower, there cells are much better matched then everyone one else who uses enerland

I will admit, I have seen graphs of a flight power 2s 4900, and a TrakPower, and the flight power was better, the TrakPower was a crap load better then any pack out there

Where are you guys getting these graphs from thats show this? All of them I have seen, they were atleast up to par with orion (There wasnt core or all of that)

I really need to get a CORE pack..... Just need $$$$:(

JayL 01-08-2008 04:08 PM

RussB, aren't you the guy that got stuff burned from a lipo at cap city ;)

will roar insurance even cover running illegal stuff on one of their tracks??

RussB 01-08-2008 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by JayL (Post 4053229)
RussB, aren't you the guy that got stuff burned from a lipo at cap city ;)

will roar insurance even cover running illegal stuff on one of their tracks??

that would be me, but it surely wasn't my lipo. and i'm still considering doing it.

as for roar insurance, i believe that lipo will be roar legal very soon reading these threads and i think most of the hard cased packs will be allowed. besides which, tracks are allowed to permit variances to the rules for club level races and that's really all i run. ;)

aren't you a nitrotard now anyway?

Rcsting 01-08-2008 06:53 PM

Russ

Why did you start that fire at Cap City? :lol:

RussB 01-08-2008 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rcsting (Post 4053855)
Russ

Why did you start that fire at Cap City? :lol:

r o effing ell

that was some newb pitting across from me.

STLNLST 01-08-2008 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by syndr0me (Post 4050915)

I've had long talks with Ling and he even let me use his Lipo's until I got my own. The info he passed on to me will be shared with Russ and any other speedworld local.

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO (Post 4050851)
I go out every race day, its just you guys race everywhere, and I cant get around to stockton and all which sucks..... Thats a down fall also IMO, because once the wires are chopped, there chopped lol... But the bullets are kind of bad too, because every time I plug in the speedo, (I use bullets right to the pack) And it sparks, so its all dirty, and internally I dont want to replace tthe bullets, So I have to send it in:D

I hope you run 19T man, I need to get spanked, I want to get good and tats the best way to learn if you ask me, So far, theres not much competition.....

Hahahahahaha, True, I cant argue, you run 10.5 during summer, I need to get my car re built, and do what Scotty said LOL, Im soo lazy.... Lets all run 19 man, get Vill out, Grant, You, Clint, Victor, Does A-Yo do 19t? and who else?

Pretend this is fight club and rule number one is we don't talk about fight club......with that being said....Don't use my real name on here. Ever since Vegas someone has been stalking me:ha::ha::nod::nod: The plan is to run nothing but mod on asphalt this year but if there aren't enough mod guys then I'm in for some 19turn. Practice pulling over now:sneaky:

Originally Posted by RussB (Post 4050676)
the 3200 carbon is a 20c discharge. the trackpower is a 20c discharge. the orion platnum is a 15c discharge. the new 3600 carbon is a 25c discharge.

BOR - i think a 3600 lipo should have more than enough capacity, especially since i was spanking your lipo equipped 10.5 car with my old had IB3600s and a 13.5 :lol: :eek:

Is Dawn gonna let you buy a lipo pack with the baby in the house....ha ha ha ha. I have nothing but lipo's since all my IB's died:cry::cry: I had way too many packs to have to go out and replace them all so two lipo's and I've been racing all day on race days. Get the 3600 so I can try it out and see how it compares to the 4800:sneaky: