R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-07-2008, 12:58 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

[QUOTE=NovakTwo;4048414]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post

I'm guessing that you are inquiring about tuning rotor use in spec racing?

The rotors fit in the higher wind motors, but spec race directors can (and do) decide against their use in their race events----to level the playing field for the racers.

For example, Sonny Brown does not allow the tuning rotor in his BRL Oval series spec races.
Our track hasn't brought it up. That's interesting. The 13mm rotor doesn't make a 13.5 BL, for example, faster per say. It changes the feel of the motor. Interesting. Does he restrict what types of brushes/springs people can run in brushed (not familiar with BRL rules)?
Old 01-07-2008, 01:08 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

it is nice to see that novak is on top of all of this stuff and have thought it out. I'm still curios to what the other motor companies are doing and there thoughts. they have been on this thread and i'm hoping soon they will have something on this topic. remember guys this is just discussion
nitro neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:10 PM   #18
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Sonny's Oval League is all brushless--Brushless Racing League (BRL).

Here are the rules:

BRL Rules

Apparently, Snowbirds is using the BRL rules in a couple of events.

Quote:
PitNamedGordie

Our track hasn't brought it up. That's interesting. The 13mm rotor doesn't make a 13.5 BL, for example, faster per say. It changes the feel of the motor. Interesting. Does he restrict what types of brushes/springs people can run in brushed (not familiar with BRL rules)?
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:12 PM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

[QUOTE=PitNamedGordie;4048449]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post

There is a linear relationship between rotor size and motor output. A Novak 13.5 with a 13mm rotor will put out more power than with the Stock 12.3mm rotor. Both require different gear ratios but the motor with the 13mm rotor will be faster when geared properly.

Without regulation 13.5 and 10.5 racers will stuff the biggest rotor possible in their motors to go as fast as possible.

Mod racers run smaller rotor to reduce the punch of a motor and gain efficiency if they are close to dumping.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:23 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

[QUOTE=AdrianM;4048496]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post

There is a linear relationship between rotor size and motor output. A Novak 13.5 with a 13mm rotor will put out more power than with the Stock 12.3mm rotor. Both require different gear ratios but the motor with the 13mm rotor will be faster when geared properly.

Without regulation 13.5 and 10.5 racers will stuff the biggest rotor possible in their motors to go as fast as possible.

Mod racers run smaller rotor to reduce the punch of a motor and gain efficiency if they are close to dumping.
So in essence a 13mm rotor is faster since it can be geared higher than the 12.3 rotor. hmmm ok I thought it created more torgue but less RPM and the two offset each other. Meaning it may give you more punch (and drag break) but not really be any faster.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:46 AM   #21
Tech Elite

well we have heard from novak on what they are doing for teching and now we just need to here from a few other motor companies to see what they are doing.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:32 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Once a standard has been set, just have them machine the end of the shaft like in 19T, course on the pinion shaft though.

When will they start playing with rotor lenghts?
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:14 AM   #23
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

How will the issue of rewound stators be dealt with? There's been a lot of talk lately about winding your own stator to get the minimum possible inductance.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 09:14 AM   #24
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro neil View Post
well we have heard from novak on what they are doing for teching and now we just need to here from a few other motor companies to see what they are doing.

Hope you're not holding your breath......
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 11:30 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
Hope you're not holding your breath......
i'm not but i would like to hear what trinity and lrp and orion have on there motors. They may have something diffrent in mind for teching. this gives everyone a chance to compare some ways of doing it and then maybe make a standard.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:37 AM   #26
Tech Elite

anyone heard any talk on what roar will be doing
Old 01-20-2008, 05:57 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
We are currently working on a device which should easily and accurately determine the wind of a given brushless motor
Steve, Can you please PM me when you get the tester sorted.

One of the issues we have come across down under, is the inductance tests don't always work. We ran a major meeting using the Novak 13.5's in the middle of Summer and had issues with wildly varying readings. The Novak test results are on only 20 motors tested, not enough as far as I am concerned as this would not even rate for a poll.
I have heard rumours that other brushless motor manufactures are coming out with motor testers, but still waiting
Maybe an optical tacho, with a fixed voltage power supply to keep it all consistant, then we could work of the RPM/V rules.