R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-07-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Setup Info

so;

i'm finally racing! (yesssssssss....) and, well my car has some WICKED understeer. i'm getting some new tyres, and i think that might partially solve the problem, but also, what can i do in terms of setup to counteract it?

first things first, i bought an HPI E10, so it's indestructable but not all that tuneable. setup options: diffs, shocks, tyres, gear ratio and caster.

i was thinking, less caster simulates harder suspension? so where do i want the suspension harder, the front or rear? and diffs, do i want the stiffer diff at the front or rear? (i used grease because i foud oil leaked a bit).

and the tyres i have covered because everyone at the track uses the same ones (pit shimizu treaded)

thanks,
JOe

Last edited by joe of loath; 01-09-2008 at 11:52 AM.
joe of loath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #2
Tech Elite

anyone?
Old 01-09-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Since nobody has posted something:

Generally speaking, you want stiffer springs in the front of the car. But is your push coming on or off power? If it is off power then try more caster and lay the top of the shock down, move more towards the chassis, you could also try a ride height that slopes down towards the front of the car. Ultimately though you need to transfer more weight to the front, so a lighter spring in the front may help or run more rear droop.
trilerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 05:05 AM   #4
Tech Elite

well, due to using the RTR tyres in the wet, i couldn't really tell what was happening, but i was having problems turning in to the corner, and i had to slow right down to turn in. i'll do a few practice laps when the track's open again (closed for improvements until feburary ) but i think i'll play with the setup a bit.

i switched to the front mounted motor, so i have most of the weight at the front of the car anyway. still, what do i want to do with the diffs? stiffer at the front or the rear?

thanks
Joe

p.s. it might all just work out with a new set of tyres
Old 01-10-2008, 05:44 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Tyres are the first thing to consider before doing anything else.

Chances are you'll be looking for a dry setup first, and the sorex 28 or 24 are pretty good for tarmac. Probably the 28s if you dont want to change tyres too often. Bed the tyres in for a few laps as they have a coating on them that makes you understeer.

And then get some additive (any with the foam applicator in a bottle makes it easy to apply) and put some on 20/30 minutes before your race.

It should help a lot, maybe the additive isnt essential unless you are consistant, but I always use it.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:47 AM   #6
Tech Elite

I remember RC Caraction has published a setup guide for touringcars. I don't know if it still available.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:54 AM   #7
Tech Champion

For car setup this is a good guide:

http://home.scarlet.be/~be067749/58/

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote