Like Tree6Likes

Tamiya Ta06

Old 02-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Travis S
Car is all setup and ready to go!

Pic #1 - The car balanced out nicely. I did have to put about 30g in the front right. (RR 376.5g LR 378.9g FR 307.9g FL311.9g = 1375.2g)

Pic #2 - I did mount a Novak Ballistic motor. In the pic you can see the 3mm Tamiya motor spacer and I did still have to bend the tabs on the motor.

Pic #3 - All Ready for TCS! To bad I have another month to wait.
Are you sure these values are usable?

It seems that you leave the suspensions on the car, so the scales are displaying the tweak and not the mass repartition... Because your spring could have different pre-constraints..

Don't you think so?
Old 02-09-2012, 03:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Airwave

It seems that you leave the suspensions on the car, so the scales are displaying the tweak and not the mass repartition... Because your spring could have different pre-constraints..

Don't you think so?
This might be true. I just did the same thing but without the springs on the shocks. (I assume this would be more accurate.) The front was about the same. 305-310g range each side. Within a couple g's the rear was off more then I thought. The speedo side was about 45g more around 385g vs 345g on the other side. I would have thought the motor mount would account for more weight, but I guess not.

I will be moving my speedo to the front like they recommend. I just didn't like how long the wires need to be for that and mine were not currently very long from a past car. However, it would let me take out the weights I have there currently and should make it closer to 50/50.

A bit more: I guess the only really accurate way I can think of to measure this is if I had solid links where the shocks go so it had no give. I can tell from both ways with/without the springs that the rear is about 50g more at each rear wheel then the fronts in my current setup.

Last edited by Travis S; 02-09-2012 at 04:07 PM. Reason: More info
Old 02-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

I was kinda thinking that would be the case. I wanted to have the speedo on the driver-side, just for ease of wiring, but I assumed it would throw the balance off. It's a pain to route those wires, but I guess that's what you have to do to balance out the car.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:05 AM
Tech Master

Ok I did a bit more playing around and since a few people are interested in this I will post my findings. This is starting to become an obsession for 50/50 Front/Back and Left/Right weight distribution.

I moved my electronics around and the best balance I could get is how the kit shows it. (Go figure! ) I haven't gone as far as the re-wire yet, but when placing the electronics in the recommended place I came up with these figures:

LR - 344g
RR - 356g
RF - 290g
LF - 310g
Total = 1300g (No body and I took out the weights I had in the front right from the picture and have also changed to ti-scews and the graphite battery holder.)

So this is 54% weight in the back /46% front. Once again this is running the IFS so with the shocks all the way in the front I can see it being 52/48. Add that shorty lipo and mount it towards the front I am sure you could get the 50/50. I am tempted to buy one just to see if I can get to 50/50 running the IFS shocks.

Weights of my electronics:
Servo with screws: 60g
ESC: 57g
Battery: 274g
Rec: 13.5g
Motor: 175g (3mm spacer is another 5.5g)
Transponder: 5.5g
Old 02-10-2012, 12:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Anyone have a picture of a Novak Ballistic motor mounted in a TA06 and what they did to get it to fit. I saw someone recommend getting http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=1817 but is 3mm enough to get this motor to fit? I can only seem to find them overseas. I am still waiting to get my TA06 I ordered and was really hoping to use this motor because I can change just the stators if I am going to run a different class and not need another whole motor. For example I am going to run GT2 (17.5 TCS) but after that is over I would like to use this as my 25.5 VTA car that is required to run a ballistic per rules.

Thanks for your help.
I've fitted the motor without modification on a 96 spur 50 pinion and the motor is completely to the front on the motor bay. The only way to go larger spur and pinion is going to be cutting into and modifying some of the support around the interior of it. I'm going to put in a 92 spur to get the Clearence so I'm able to have somewhat of a gap between the gears.

Last edited by Shameless121; 02-10-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Airwave

Don't you think so?
The scales will always display the correct weight distribution if you sum the two loads on each axle (FR+FL & RR+RL).
Old 02-10-2012, 02:01 AM
Tech Elite

Ok I did a bit more playing around and since a few people are interested in this I will post my findings. This is starting to become an obsession for 50/50 Front/Back and Left/Right weight distribution.

I moved my electronics around and the best balance I could get is how the kit shows it. (Go figure! ) I haven't gone as far as the re-wire yet, but when placing the electronics in the recommended place I came up with these figures:

LR - 344g
RR - 356g
RF - 290g
LF - 310g
Total = 1300g (No body and I took out the weights I had in the front right from the picture and have also changed to ti-scews and the graphite battery holder.)

So this is 54% weight in the back /46% front. Once again this is running the IFS so with the shocks all the way in the front I can see it being 52/48. Add that shorty lipo and mount it towards the front I am sure you could get the 50/50. I am tempted to buy one just to see if I can get to 50/50 running the IFS shocks.

Weights of my electronics:
Servo with screws: 60g
ESC: 57g
Battery: 274g
Rec: 13.5g
Motor: 175g (3mm spacer is another 5.5g)
Transponder: 5.5g
I suspect you are overestimating the difference the weight distribution change you can acheive with these changes... to put it into perspective, to add 1% proportionally to the front axle means you need to add ~27gm directly onto it, and if you are not adding ballast you need to be taking it away from somewhere else in the car. So to get 2% onto the front moving the IFS means adding ~54gm to the front axle... to put THAT figure into perspective, a pair of TRF shocks only weighs 25gm total, and you are moving them by about 25% of the wheelbase.

Same for the shorty LiPo, you get the opportunity to move some ballast around, but again you are moving it around a relatively small proportion of the wheelbase.

But - you are the one with a car in front of you and I only have maths and pictures to work with. You may well get that 50/50!
Old 02-10-2012, 02:37 AM
Tech Adept

any chance of pics of that, so we can see if there is anything weird....
Old 02-10-2012, 03:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shameless121
I've fitted the motor without modification on a 96 spur 50 pinion and the motor is completely to the front on the motor bay. The only way to go larger spur and pinion is going to be cutting into and modifying some of the support around the interior of it. I'm going to put in a 92 spur to get the Clearence so I'm able to have somewhat of a gap between the gears.
would you know if a 43/44 pinion will fit with a 96t spur (will they mesh)?
Old 02-10-2012, 06:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MC112b
Ta daaa!! I still have to remount the servo, speddo, and re-scale the car.

I had to skim .005 off the outer chassis ridge. The button head screw on the underside of the rack gently rubbed. I think a small height adjustment and I'll have a truly dremmel free install. No cutting, no shimming, and zero extra slop. First run on the car is next Wednesday.

I should have some spares available this weekend.
How/where can I get one from you?
Old 02-10-2012, 09:02 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by sosidge
I suspect you are overestimating the difference the weight distribution change you can acheive with these changes... to put it into perspective, to add 1% proportionally to the front axle means you need to add ~27gm directly onto it, and if you are not adding ballast you need to be taking it away from somewhere else in the car. So to get 2% onto the front moving the IFS means adding ~54gm to the front axle... to put THAT figure into perspective, a pair of TRF shocks only weighs 25gm total, and you are moving them by about 25% of the wheelbase.

Same for the shorty LiPo, you get the opportunity to move some ballast around, but again you are moving it around a relatively small proportion of the wheelbase.

But - you are the one with a car in front of you and I only have maths and pictures to work with. You may well get that 50/50!
The 2% was a guess. I figured you are adding the shock tower and the shocks over the top of the wheels so I thought it would add a 1-2%. This I don't plan on trying since I already have an IFS body and do not plan to buy a normal one for TCS races.

The shorty lipo's I have seen are around 200g vs the 270g's for my current lipo. So with no body my car would be 1230g. GT2 class is 1400g min for weight. I figure if you mounted the extra weights you will need to "make weight" in a small gap in front of the shorty lipo in the battery area you could get that 50/50. (GT1 class you can be as light as you want with a tubby chassis so I don't know if being 50/50 is better then being say 1300g.)
Old 02-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by stitchy
TA06 race writeup. Warning! Loooong

I’ve run the shop’s TA06 Pro for a few races now. In the very beginning we received feedback that the car handles great, has good punch and acceleration, but driveline drag affects top speed. Others weren’t fond of it’s unconventional design.
Stich thanks for the race report! I found it compelling and encouraging as I am returning to TCS racing after over 7 years and was considering the TA06 Pro. Funny also that I was considering the Tekin Redline 17.5 also. LOL I will drop by to check out the TA06 Pro. I'll be needing the Tekin, esc, tires, body etc.
I am an old customer back when Steve ran Speedtech. I suddenly got the need to go racing again after not missing it bit. I'm just a little rusty.
See you soon.
Wayne
Old 02-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Car is all setup and ready to go!

Pic #1 - The car balanced out nicely. I did have to put about 30g in the front right. (RR 376.5g LR 378.9g FR 307.9g FL311.9g = 1375.2g)

Pic #2 - I did mount a Novak Ballistic motor. In the pic you can see the 3mm Tamiya motor spacer and I did still have to bend the tabs on the motor.

Pic #3 - All Ready for TCS! To bad I have another month to wait.
Have you tested different distribution? I went from a center mounted esc to the stock location, just more towards the front. I need to find my scales and post pix. but im also running carbon and alum everything. I have ZERO play.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FNG RIDER
Stich thanks for the race report! I found it compelling and encouraging as I am returning to TCS racing after over 7 years and was considering the TA06 Pro. Funny also that I was considering the Tekin Redline 17.5 also. LOL I will drop by to check out the TA06 Pro. I'll be needing the Tekin, esc, tires, body etc.
I am an old customer back when Steve ran Speedtech. I suddenly got the need to go racing again after not missing it bit. I'm just a little rusty.
See you soon.
Wayne
Hi Wayne. You're welcome! I actually enjoyed writing it and trying to recall all of the happenings of the race. I usually forget the details as soon as I come off the driver's stand

Give us a call anytime at the shop (626.237.0807), especially if you're set on what car and components you want so we can have it all ready for ya!

Look forward to meeting an old customer of Steve's
Old 02-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi all
atm im driving a moderatly hopped up TA05 ver2 is it worth staying with the ver.2 or change to a TA06, i've been reading previous posts here and all seems positive for the TA06
For the ppl who has driven both ta05 ver2 and ta06 is there a huge difference is it worth changing to 06 ??

Cos i really like the central battery/motor as i had a DF03ra and loved the handling on it

Using the car on asphalt track mainly open practise

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.