R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-09-2008, 10:33 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPI Staff View Post

I don't think those are working, I go straight to a administrator notification message, anyone else able to get these?
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:36 AM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
I don't think those are working, I go straight to a administrator notification message, anyone else able to get these?
ditto
OSherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 11:01 AM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Thumbs up

I glad I was able to witness some of those insane speed runs and crashes an total destruction of some of the cars back in the day when I started racing oval there use to be very big turnout at these type of events man I sure miss those days.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:12 AM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Frank, Kent

Can you tell me when the HPI "Road Star" Oval car stopped production, or was discontinued?

This is still MY favorite Oval car - and between my 15 year old Son and I, we still run 4 of these (And they are still my favorite car on the VELODROME w/ the floating rear pod setup.)
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:12 PM   #35
Tech Initiate

SWTour, I think the Road Star 10GO cars were discontinued in 1998, so it's been a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
Frank, Kent

Can you tell me when the HPI "Road Star" Oval car stopped production, or was discontinued?

This is still MY favorite Oval car - and between my 15 year old Son and I, we still run 4 of these (And they are still my favorite car on the VELODROME w/ the floating rear pod setup.)
HPI Staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #36
Tech Master

-I realy love all these cars Kent. Have not seen the last 2 though. The streamlines is awesome! What a beuty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
"Johnny Wishbone". Like that name

By the way...
This is by far the best tread on the web. Finally something realy interesting.
Anders Myrberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Man - I almost forgot about the streamline car

Quote:
SWTour, I think the Road Star 10GO cars were discontinued in 1998, so it's been a while.
I thought it was about 10 years since they got really hard to find stuff for...

Been running one of the cars I use on the velo for close to 14 years (The chassis is getting really thin)

I still have enough stuff to build 2-3 complete cars - and am always picking up stuff from guys who also have hoarded it...
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:53 PM   #38
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Man, I remember those cars. I remember hovering over my RC Car Action for hours looking at those pics and reading about the run over and over again...

Makes me kinda sad to think about how wide open R/C used to be, and how carbon copy it is now.

Kinda like full scale F1 racing.

I'll save some of these pics. Now all I need is some pics, of the "Readers Ride" article in RC Car Action, that the guy did of the space marines' armored personnel carrier from the movie "Aliens".
Old 03-23-2009, 06:10 PM   #39
Tech Rookie

i had to dig up an old thread, in hopes kent or someone else from hpi might chime in and be able to help me out. i sent them an e-mail, but didn't get a response.

i've been collecting parts to build both of the old hpi rc10lss conversions. i have everything either in hand or located. my biggest problem is with the rear hubs. i can't seem to find them anywhere. i was hoping to see if there was any chance that there might be some old stock laying around at hpi.
Attached Thumbnails
Kent Clausen's Insane Speed 10L - Found!!-hpi%5B1%5D.jpg  
scr8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:22 AM   #40
Tech Initiate

Those hubs have been discontinued for about 10 years so they are going to be tough to find! You might check with Stormer Hobbies or Ultimate Hobbies. The part numbers are 6146 and 6155.

--Kent
HPI Staff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:17 AM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarryN

Hey HPI Staff, do you know if HPI will be entering back into the 10th scale Pan Car arena again? Possibly as a Hot Bodies car? I'd prefer the HPI name, since it sounds less "male with a limp wrist and a pink scarf" if you get the drift.
Cars For Sale: FG 08-530 EVO w/ Sport Brakes!
Track(s): http://www.rctrack.com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:18 AM   #42
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Wow seeing pics of these cars reallt takes me back....and makes me feel old as dirt.But it really makes me miss that period when racers were hobbyists first and racers second.When most cared more about the building and tinkering, than the winning.When innovations were happening at a local level then being addopted by manufacturers.

MR Clausen; I say "Mr" out of respect , not age. I just wanted to say thanks , because without guys like you back then, I wouldnt still be doing this after 20 yrs.

Definitely some history in this thread.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:27 AM   #43
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Those hubs have been discontinued for about 10 years so they are going to be tough to find! You might check with Stormer Hobbies or Ultimate Hobbies. The part numbers are 6146 and 6155.

--Kent
thanks for the reply kent. i checked out both of their sites, but struck out. those hubs are definately elusive little critters.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:15 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:

--Kent
I already looked, out of my own curiosity. We don't have the hubs. 1/10 and 1/12 pan are my personal favorite cars, so I watch out for them.

Hubs from that period would have been like MK engineering, T/A, Tru-Turn and Stevens and sons (was Tru-Turn). We eventually bought Stevens and sons and it became Barracuda. We still have some old Barracuda in stock. But that other stuff is gonna be tough to find. And OEM hubs like HPI weren't well stocked, as most people didn't use the OEM hubs, they wanted aftermarket if they made a change. So most shops didn't stock stuff like factory hubs. Those, new in the bag, would be a tough find.

And HPI was still pretty new and low key then (in our domestic market). Still getting their foot in the door. So it also didn't have a lot of saturation.

There were a lot of cars to choose from then and that made stocking things harder for shops too. I think the pan "hey day" was from about 86-92. Getting hard to remember. There were a lot of little machine shops making cars, onesy-twosey, that most people will never remember. Even we had a 235mm car out. We made 18, sold 12. ...lol... That was before the web. People would call on our 800 number and spend HOURS asking about setup on a car we made $50 on. I pulled the plug on selling the cars after the first 100 hours of phone calls, and related labor to take the calls. I estimated we lost about $4000 the first month in phone charges and labor to walk people through setup on those. It was a different time.

<---still thinks Kent is the MAN!

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 03-24-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #45
Tech Rookie

well, if there's one thing i have....... it's a lot of patience. i can always build the cars with stock 10lss hubs. but i'll always be keeping my eye out for those hubs. i know someone out there is sitting on a handful of each. it's just a matter of finding them.

along with building a replica of kent's insane speed run car from this thread for my own vintage collection, i also have a replica of gary hamilton's car from the following year in the works. that's what i really want the hubs for. i need to find an old tru turn aluminum axle, and an UNO motor, too. all in good time.
Attached Thumbnails
Kent Clausen's Insane Speed 10L - Found!!-hpiinsanespeedruncar2.jpg