R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
Tech Addict
 
beyondthepack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Orillia, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 742
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to beyondthepack
Default IDEAL BRUSHLESS SET-UP FOR 1/12 scale??

Looking to turn the corner, later this year, with a brushless set-up. I race 12 scale 19t, what would be equal to that? The car is a CEFX Phoenix, and i have been keeping my eye on the new Tekin brushless, but curious to see what other people's opinions are.
__________________
AE B5R - SC10.2 - Outdoors
AE TC7.1 USGT - INFINITY IF14 - Indoors
LRP - REEDY - FUTABA - IDEAL HOBBIES - RC404
beyondthepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic
 
Michal101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 985
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondthepack View Post
Looking to turn the corner, later this year, with a brushless set-up. I race 12 scale 19t, what would be equal to that? The car is a CEFX Phoenix, and i have been keeping my eye on the new Tekin brushless, but curious to see what other people's opinions are.

Some of the locals here have run the Tekin brushless "Mini Rage" 1/18th scale brushless with 1 of Tekin's 3 motors (5.4, 6.8 and the 8.0) and it is ballistic. I will find a link for this as well.
Michal101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:14 PM   #3
Tech Master
 
CREWMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,539
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

The equals of brushless

13.5 brushless motor is equal to a 27 turn brushed motor
10.5 brushless motor is equal to a 19 turn brushed motor

I would go with a GTB novak system for 1/12 scale
I don't race evry weekend and i am ver pleased with the novak XBR in my IRS 1/12. The GTB is the better performing of the 2 though.
__________________
D&K HOBBIES!!!!
Losi 8ight-T 2.0 Race Roller/Losi 350/JR 9100 Servos/Spektrum DX3R
BMI Copperhead 12/Thunder Power Lipo/Futaba Servo/Express 17.5/Spektrum DX3R
CREWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:25 PM   #4
Woz
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 99
Default

Nosram Matrix Evolution 2007 & Orion Vortex 10.5 *grins*
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
Tech Addict
 
RaceBucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca.
Posts: 512
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Pinion issue using b/l in 1/12ths

About 1.5 years ago I found that the standard GTB is too tall for 1/12 scale bodies so I got the LRP sphere (wider, but flatter). Reedy's weakest at that time was their 1-star (an 8.5T) that was significantly faster than the brushed 19T motors. Although I also had a Komodo 19T they let me run my 8.5T with my throttle epa turned down to 90%.

Since then I've put a GTB and 13.5 in my sedan, but the gearing requires a really large pinion. Such a large pinion that I know it wouldn't fit in the small motor space that 1/12 scales have.

Brushless 13.5/10.5 are very similar to Brushed 27/19 but only after adjusting for gearing. I think this creates a problem for 1/12 scales that don't have much room to back the motor away from the spur.

Has anyone had this problem with the 13.5T brushless in 1/12 scale? Requires such a large pinion that you can't back the motor far enough away from the spur? By the way, I am already running a really small spur.
__________________
"We face each other as God intended. Sportsman-like. No tricks, skill against skill alone." -Fezzik
RaceBucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:36 PM   #6
Tech Elite
 
chris moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Phx AZ
Posts: 3,780
Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBucks View Post
About 1.5 years ago I found that the standard GTB is too tall for 1/12 scale bodies so I got the LRP sphere (wider, but flatter). Reedy's weakest at that time was their 1-star (an 8.5T) that was significantly faster than the brushed 19T motors. Although I also had a Komodo 19T they let me run my 8.5T with my throttle epa turned down to 90%.

Since then I've put a GTB and 13.5 in my sedan, but the gearing requires a really large pinion. Such a large pinion that I know it wouldn't fit in the small motor space that 1/12 scales have.

Brushless 13.5/10.5 are very similar to Brushed 27/19 but only after adjusting for gearing. I think this creates a problem for 1/12 scales that don't have much room to back the motor away from the spur.

Has anyone had this problem with the 13.5T brushless in 1/12 scale? Requires such a large pinion that you can't back the motor far enough away from the spur? By the way, I am already running a really small spur.

I use the novak 4-cell GTB's in all my 1/12's, fits fine under the shells and has worked great for all my needs. As for running a 13.5, if your running any of the newer whips(BMI, Hyperdrive, CEFX Phoenix, etc.) you'll have no prob getting in a big pinion. If your using an older model its tougher but can be done with a 76t spur.
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:24 PM   #7
Tech Addict
 
RaceBucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca.
Posts: 512
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Yeah, I'm running a 12L4 with a 69 spur.
And good point, Novak looks like they came out with some really low profile 4 cell brushless controllers that look perfect for 1/12 scale since I was last in the market.
__________________
"We face each other as God intended. Sportsman-like. No tricks, skill against skill alone." -Fezzik
RaceBucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:27 PM   #8
Tech Elite
 
chris moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Phx AZ
Posts: 3,780
Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBucks View Post
Yeah, I'm running a 12L4 with a 69 spur.
And good point, Novak looks like they came out with some really low profile 4 cell brushless controllers that look perfect for 1/12 scale since I was last in the market.
Are you useing 48p or 64p? The 76t I mentioned is 64p.
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:30 PM   #9
Tech Addict
 
RaceBucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Huntington Beach, Ca.
Posts: 512
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

48 pitch, I think that was the smallest I could find that would still fit the diff.
__________________
"We face each other as God intended. Sportsman-like. No tricks, skill against skill alone." -Fezzik
RaceBucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:42 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hastings, MN
Posts: 825
Send a message via AIM to $rusty$ Send a message via MSN to $rusty$
Default

Run 64p and get the smallest spur you can find. A local has a 13.5 in his L4, and he can fit it no problem.
__________________
Rusty Andersen

thercbarn.com
$rusty$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:04 PM   #11
Tech Elite
 
joezjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Elk river, Minnesota
Posts: 2,926
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

get a 78 tooth spur. then about a 38 pinnion should work. im rolling out at 72.5 and it rules. just gear it up until your motor hits 130 degrees
joezjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:51 PM   #12
Tech Elite
 
chris moore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Phx AZ
Posts: 3,780
Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joezjr View Post
get a 78 tooth spur. then about a 38 pinnion should work. im rolling out at 72.5 and it rules. just gear it up until your motor hits 130 degrees
Yea when the pinion matches the spur in size your there
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:01 PM   #13
Tech Elite
 
joezjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Elk river, Minnesota
Posts: 2,926
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

just about. last year when i was running brushed i thought i was nuts for running a 48 roll out. now im at a 72. i have seen a 55 tooth pinion but i dont know how in the hell you would stuff it in there
joezjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ideal ESC for BJ4 WE GulfstreamIVCap Electric Off-Road 4 05-31-2006 09:14 PM
Ideal Rustler Modified Motor woodoo Electric Off-Road 8 04-01-2006 05:31 PM
Ideal difference between chanell??? Speed Demon Electric On-Road 0 09-24-2004 12:23 AM
An ideal way to control your RC discus18 Electric On-Road 10 10-29-2003 01:08 PM
Purchasing 2nd Buggy Tips? What is the ideal car? TA03F Ecstasy Australian Racing 4 08-16-2003 08:32 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:16 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net