R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-07-2004, 12:34 AM   #1336
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to audiaudi Send a message via MSN to audiaudi

In fact the position of the center shaft on a belt drive car also affect the ground force. The higher the center shaft, the more the power goes down to the ground. That means some cars with a high position center shaft like 414, 7even or X-ray will have better torque but those low center shaft car should more easlier to be control like 415, or mr4tc, OVA etc. That why the 7even hasn't change this layout for years. But the torque still cannot compare with the shaft, since the belt is losing power due to its elastisity.
But for shaft drive cars, the shaft provides nearly zero elastisity, so all the power from the motor will goes directly to the gears and the wheels, almost no power loss compare with the belt drive car, but when in high speeds, shaft drive car do not have the "loosen up" effect like the belt drive car, so it can't goes as fast as the belt drive cars in high speed. Besides, because of the spinning direction of the shaft and the amature will cause some ground force as well, so most of shaft drive car did not balance in corners, like loose in left but pushing in right.

Trying very hard to jump back into RC with CRC Xti-wc.
audiaudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 01:07 AM   #1337
Tech Adept

Hi Audi, good feedback!

Belts cars are easier to Drive than the hype-up Shaft Driven cars.

Agree?

Extra Stuff that caught my attention:

Ideal perfection for a chassis geometry design would be 50/50 Front and Rear, 50/50 Left to Right. A balanced car with Balanced weight all around.
coolikeice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 05:41 PM   #1338
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to chrisman Send a message via Yahoo to chrisman

coolikeice

Hey...hey....good to hear back from you.I gotta see the second version of this fan...

Belt tensioners...heem.Personally on belted cars,I believe they sucks up power.On my lap,I tried not to use them but if I do I run the rear ones.

With the correct belt,I find they'r just barely loose.I like belts that are worn in. Tensioners used for belts should be like the OB4's,X ray or TRF415.No more extra bearings for the tensioner.I run on carpet very often with the lap and I find carpet fusss getting to them and eventually it siezes up.

Tensioners helps to keep the belt from skipping when it's loose.By the time if the belts are that loose I usually replace them.

Heem...belt versus the shaft again...I think there's an actual thread abt it here.

I run both types of cars.They both have their advantages and disadvantages.Whats the fun not having competition.
On carpet...belt drive cars have more forgiving and elasticity due to the belt design.
It's the other way around for shafted cars.They are aggressive and unforgiving.Excellent out doors though.
Old 05-08-2004, 11:59 PM   #1339
Tech Elite

Well...finally I got a chance to run the car out door again.The car never fails on me on any runs...can't go wrong with that.
Weather is hot....track temp 40 deg C.tires are melting...
Overall this GT3 is fast and consisitent.(thanks to my driving)
Track is abt 120 " straight by 50...something like that.Asphalt treated with tracsion compound.

Thumbs up ......car is good.Ran 4 heats and the man.Onnly 2 minor tiny scuffs at the rear.Turn in is fast.Speed in the straights..may be a couple tooth more.A little on power push in corners otherwise is no problem.I'll post pics soon...
Old 05-09-2004, 12:50 AM   #1340
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by audiaudi
In fact the position of the center shaft on a belt drive car also affect the ground force. The higher the center shaft, the more the power goes down to the ground. That means some cars with a high position center shaft like 414, 7even or X-ray will have better torque but those low center shaft car should more easlier to be control like 415, or mr4tc, OVA etc. That why the 7even hasn't change this layout for years. But the torque still cannot compare with the shaft, since the belt is losing power due to its elastisity.
But for shaft drive cars, the shaft provides nearly zero elastisity, so all the power from the motor will goes directly to the gears and the wheels, almost no power loss compare with the belt drive car, but when in high speeds, shaft drive car do not have the "loosen up" effect like the belt drive car, so it can't goes as fast as the belt drive cars in high speed. Besides, because of the spinning direction of the shaft and the amature will cause some ground force as well, so most of shaft drive car did not balance in corners, like loose in left but pushing in right.

Interesting... typical views...

I have driven a couple of shaft cars now and a few belts too... The rumor about punch is the biggest load of s#$t. The punchiest car i have seen is a losi xxx-s.. why??? cause the driver has his motors/batts/speedy working very well....

From my experience and forgetting what is "theoretical"....

Shaft have heaps of top end speed due to low friction drive system. At the same track with two different cars and same motor, the shaft is always geared lower and is as fast or faster down the straight.

shaft drives lack grip. due to the "solid" connection of motor to wheels, shaft drives put more load on the tyres in the same situation as a belt driven car.

Also.... consider physics... forces in multiple dimentions.... a shaft drive applies forces through the gears AT AN ANGLE. This means a percentage of the force is transfered in a direction that does not benifit power transfer to the wheels.

Ultimatly the driver makes the difference but an unbalanced shaftdrive is always a bit harder to use...

BTW.. Have had a slab befor and they are very nice...
Powered by Falco
Dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 05:33 AM   #1341
Tech Initiate

My GT3 is running well, though Im still dialing it in. I would say there are pros and cons to both belt and shaft. I happen to like both.

BTW- What is up with RCLab USA? No new updated cars, Speedtech has dropped them, so now they have no US distributers. WTF? It would be nice not to have to buy parts overseas.
TheInfamousSofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 12:07 AM   #1342
Tech Elite

wow..it's been that long since the last post..
Yeah...it really sucks that there's no distributor here in North America.Dunno what exactly happened ...hopefully a new one be established.

TheInfamousSofa...hows ur GT3 running..pm me or post your concerns what ever they are and maybe one of us here can help.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:22 PM   #1343
Tech Regular

Just wanna keep the thread alive....
I still have stocks.. if someone wanna purchase RClab's product just PM me...
I think I should have full stock...

Old 04-15-2005, 08:40 AM   #1344
Tech Regular

Default Just to bring this thread up to date......

look out for the GT3/2 designation, and possibly a GT4 sometime during the season.......

Things have been quiet for awhile but its about to get interesting again.

http://www.rclab.co.uk/sys/
Old 04-15-2005, 10:10 AM   #1345
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

so what's the story with these guys? are they still producing anything? is the production still in china? is there any r&d being done?

other than people running a car that is 1.5 years old (nothing wrong with that) with good finishes, i didn't see anything in that link that indicated much was going to change in the future...

perhaps i missed something...like a return email from johnny.... or maybe the last five emails... that didn't get returned.

one of the few things this car has going for it is the short arms...
Old 04-15-2005, 10:42 AM   #1346
Tech Regular

Quote from the sites front page:

A number of minor changes planned, mainly to the driveline. First thing is to re-align the rear belt to the centre of the car, this will allow us to lose the rear belt tensioner, totally. Final completion of the new design diff (at last I hear some of you say!) and an increase in the layshaft pulley size, along with a slight relocation of the layshaft itself - much bigger job since the motor bridge will need redesigning. Once done I am totally confident that these modifications, small as they are, will release a big increase in speed and punch which I am sure you won't object to!

And plenty more stuff is being worked on but im not going to say what that is just yet. The home of the RC-LAB is in good old England lol
Old 04-15-2005, 12:40 PM   #1347
Tech Elite

Wink

a new drive ratio. i'm on the edge of my seat.

so what is the relationship between rclab hk and uk? when i was working on testing stuff for them, my entire package came from hk. and the correspondence originated from there as well. has there been a purchase of the facility or the name, etc? what happened to the person/organization that sent me a ludicrous amount of product and then disappeared...?

Last edited by seaball; 04-15-2005 at 04:33 PM.
seaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 01:10 PM   #1348
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to chicky03

Quote:
Originally posted by seaball
i'm on the edge of my seat.
I know the wheels are turning. Don't get any bright ideas that are going to keep me up late at night.

Paul
Old 04-15-2005, 02:17 PM   #1349
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by chicky03
I know the wheels are turning. Don't get any bright ideas that are going to keep me up late at night.

Paul
well, well, well. you keep this up and i'll take down that bronze statue. besides, i am constantly reminded that we are still working to get the wheels turning on the mission every time i look at it.

ps - what's this... i hear you are team losi's driver of the month? yeah, whatever kid. maybe if you put some of that effort into helping your friends... eat it.

lata.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:23 PM   #1350
Tech Regular

Seems Johnny was quite busy these days, and Lobolo as well. So almost nothing new from the RClab HK since the GT3....
About the relationship of the RClab UK and the RClab HK is, the RClab UK starts to make their own upgrade to the car since the 7.6, and they provide quite a lot of options for the car, even I can't see them in HK. Because in HK RClab is not a really popular machine, so most of the minor upgrade are left to the regional RClabs.
These are already the latest news I got in HK, but its a year ago.... I haven't meet Johnny for the time being.....