R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-20-2003, 08:10 PM   #1051
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to wheelmanST

hey man looong time no see....whats happenin?
i cant wait to get a lab...yea thats the main thing chris was tellin me is that its a tank and has more alum than a decked out tmaxx its NIB too so i get to build it. just a matter of sellin one of my cars (xpress) and i can get it. ive been reading this post and seems like you got a great group of guys here ready to help anyone out. i know ill need some basic setup help since its a new car to me. man i cant wait! wheeeeee
wheelmanST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 08:41 PM   #1052
Tech Adept

today was a baddd day. I almost cried.

my track is closing! they cant afford the costs because they arent getting as many people like last year, so I HAVE NO PLACE TO RACE!! NOOOOOOOOOO
i finally got my lab perfect too. Im not sellin the lab yet. I want it to drive. today was a day of mourning, lol, anyways, i will still be around. I might be able to race at a place, but its an hour drive, but im not the driver, its my mom or dad. I AM pissed off at the shop, i think its because they just bought a new shop and they cant afford the track right now. They said they'll try to get it back in a while, so maybe there is some hope.

bab00n14 - i hope you can sell your xpress so you can get a LAB, its a great car.

i will still be lurking around on the forums,
peace,
nate
RSX Type 7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 09:13 PM   #1053
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to wheelmanST

dont worry i got a buyer for the xpress...just gota hunt down his phone number and get a hold of him

that sucks about the track closing...I have to drive 45 min to my track...closest one too. you can always have fun setting up a track in a parking lot and messin around with friends. check around on the net...i think car action has a track locator. you never know, there could be a track close by that you never knew was there.
wheelmanST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 03:54 AM   #1054
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ive been running the new car here is aus for a week now and so far the only complaint is the slop in the steering assembly its a very nice car to drive so stable and easy and the faster u go the better it gets
syntex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 08:49 AM   #1055
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to Ih8 RiCeRoCkEtS Send a message via AIM to Ih8 RiCeRoCkEtS Send a message via Yahoo to Ih8 RiCeRoCkEtS

hey its great to see new people racing the lab.

the slop you say is the ACA or Active Castor Action, it allows the lab to have the amount of steering it has.
Ih8 RiCeRoCkEtS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 10:39 PM   #1056
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball
Thumbs down slop in the steering

hummm. i've touched on this a while ago, but here are some causes, and subsequent solutions

at first, i found the same thing as far as slop goes. the good part is that it doesn't come from the posts or bearing assembly. first i replaced all of the outer link (tie rod) ends with rpm ball ends. they fit tight and don't deform as easily.

another cause for steering slop is actually the c hubs or carriers. if they are not shimmed properly and/or the set screw is not used, they will rock back and forth as part of some kind of active castor gimmick. shim them and snug the set screw and you will be much happier. funny how the optional alum carriers omit this feature. hummmm.

and something that i think was poor engineering was the proximity of the drag or ackermann link pivots to the post axis. i ended up using some threaded balls from corally and threading them, like a nut, onto the back of the balls used for the tie rod linkage. now they share the same axis and are about 50% further away from the post axis. this keeps the slop from being magnified from the through of the belcrank.

lasty, as my ball cups wear, or more likely stretch, i use teflon tape ($.99 at home depot) on all the joints whenever i reasemble them. i fold it two or three fold, and lay it on the ball cup so the the ball presses it uniformly into the cup when assembled. it takes up any remaing slop, and is fairly friction friendly.

after all this is done, you should be ready to rock and roll. i've noticed that i've run so long on my bearings, the the axle itself has play within the hubs. time for some new bearings.

hope that all this is helpful. once the car is dialed, you'll love it. and i'm still sticking by the opinion that it has THE best twin belt transmission out there.

lataz.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:44 PM   #1057
Tech Elite

Thumbs down slop in the steering

hummm. i've touched on this a while ago, but here are some causes, and subsequent solutions

at first, i found the same thing as far as slop goes. the good part is that it doesn't come from the posts or bearing assembly. first i replaced all of the outer link (tie rod) ends with rpm ball ends. they fit tight and don't deform as easily.

another cause for steering slop is actually the c hubs or carriers. if they are not shimmed properly and/or the set screw is not used, they will rock back and forth as part of some kind of active castor gimmick. shim them and snug the set screw and you will be much happier.

and something that i think was poor engineering was the proximity of the drag or ackermann link pivots to the post axis. i ended up using some threaded balls from corally and threading them, like a nut, onto the back of the balls used for the tie rod linkage. now they share the same axis and are about 50% further away from the post axis. this keeps the slop from being magnified through the belcrank.

lasty, as my ball cups wear, or more likely stretch, i use teflon tape ($.99 at home depot) on all the joints whenever i reasemble them. i fold it two or three fold, and lay it on the ball cup so the the ball presses it uniformly into the cup when assembled. it takes up any remaining slop, and is fairly friction friendly.

after all this is done, you should be ready to rock and roll. i've noticed that i've run so long on my bearings, the the axle itself has play within the hubs. time for some new bearings.

hope that all this is helpful. once the car is dialed, you'll love it. and i'm still sticking by the opinion that it has THE best twin belt transmission out there.

lataz.

Last edited by seaball; 04-23-2003 at 10:56 AM.
seaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 03:02 AM   #1058
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i ran the car today with a 540 (to test its effiency) against the fastest guys in that class at my track and the car was faster. mind u those other cars were tc3s and were supposedly very efficent the new labcar was just so stable and made driving a bore even with a stock and mod motor, it went where u wanted to and did nothing unexpected u could stay on the racing line and the car is very strong not one part broken after a few close incounters with the track boards with a mod today aswell this has to be the best car ive owned
good job lab guys
syntex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 03:13 AM   #1059
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

SEABALL,

How's it going? Been doing any racing up north?????

Take care!
Old 04-23-2003, 11:05 AM   #1060
Tech Elite

hey rob,
of course we've been racing. ray has decided to run the gate on two tuesdays a month all summer, providing the turnout is adequate. last night was the first one. it was a blast. it's nice to able to run carpet all year. though, i am looking forward to a break from it and running asphalt with rubbers and oneways... how about you? whacha been doing? i think we're shooting to hold two big races at our club in the fall around champs time, and then after the turn of the year. we expect your participation!
lata,
chris.
Old 04-23-2003, 11:15 AM   #1061
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

seaball-your RClab absolutely rips out of the hole and has killer top speed-so your assertion that this is the best twin belt drivetrain may in fact be true. TC3 have nothing on you in speed. Its scary to think how fast your car would be with a new 1.17 GP pack in it-WOWEEE
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 03:04 PM   #1062
Tech Elite

ray - what's even scarier is that even with this speed, i'm still down almost a second a lap from the top dogs. sick. i did pick up almost 2 tenths last night. and i was a little more conservative than usual as i had little for a bumper. i still haven't figured out a training philosophy yet...

...respect the walls, or come out gunning?
sort of a brant vs. tony w. argument. and right now tony's hot as he**. but then his motors have been on fire lately.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:53 AM   #1063
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang

seaball-they are blowing my doors away too-its maddening isnt it?? I just learned a bunch of new things on my xray too!!!

On your practice theory-I would say come out gunning-yes-but if your cars ballistic-dont waste all your speed by overdriving the corners, binding car up mid-corner and having to start from a crawl again-or the opposate and blowing the line. When your cars that fast-roll it into and out of the cornerrs till the car naturally slows down and loses its edge and then start pushing it harder and harder!! Aaron said his car was so fast in second round that for the whole race he was lifting in every corner from start to finish to keep from scrubbing off all that speed.

I would like to drive your car again for a whole battery pack when we get another chance!!

Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 04:37 PM   #1064
Tech Elite

absolutely ray! i am eager to have some of the "regulars" drive it. i've still got to get my tc3 dogbone conversion to perform better. and castor is still in question. i like the antidive front end though. it's just tough to get a castor block to lean back enough to compensate for the 2-2.5* of negative kickup. right now i'm running 5*overall and would still like to try to get to 7 or so.

as far as the slugish transitioning that jimmy found... i am leaning toward the thought that my dual rate is so far down that at low speeds the car just doesn't have the turning radius to hook back at moderate speed in the chicanes. in fact, you may have heard me shouting at a marshall or two to "TURN IT AROUND!" tuesday i could barely turn it around within the lanes. i've set the car up to have good steering at high speeds with minimum throw based on the theory that increased slip angle induces drag. i've also found that the corally dope is very sensitive to duration applied, and % coverage. it grips like he** if done right. consequently, my d/r has been uncharacteristically low these last few outings. i'd like to get this all in order before the next outing. i dunno, i've got to order from about three or four different places. i hate that. that's what i get though...or so i've heard.

anyway, i'll talk at ya later.

chris.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:03 PM   #1065
Tech Elite

uh oh. thread's dead. time for a new chassis.

macky, you there?