R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-13-2003, 04:25 PM   #871
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to chrisman Send a message via Yahoo to chrisman

EHHH!!!>>>nice rear end u know..the pic... Keep on coming...And welcome NOFX(down under)....it's all here where the lab drivers hangs out..the more the merrier...
chrisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 04:30 PM   #872
Tech Elite

FTD....rear end loose..well if it's frosty...nothing will grip...
If it's dries up and still does it,harden the frt suspension or the other way is give the rear a little more droop.Give that a swirl......and go from there.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:16 PM   #873
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

nate! are those titanium screws in there? nice setup. i saw that in the site somewhere. i'm not sold on it yet. looks like the old fsr bullet that way.

ftd - i hadn't planned on it, but it's an easy make so maybe i will. i might have a friend turn them down though just to save my bits. i'll let you know how it feels after this weekend.

chrisman - is rclab working on any changes or updates to the evoII? man, would i like to see separate blocks for the hingepins. adjustable antidive/antisquat, inboard toe, and ROLLCENTER. i'm sure that'll be my next hacking project!

all - keep this thread going! it' was nice to see the green smiley at the top of the electric touring thread these last few visits.

later.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:28 PM   #874
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

hey guys, thanks for the welcome

at the moment, i have a p2k2 stock in it, the kit spur, 92 tooth, and close to kit gearing, the 33 on shorter tracks, i went up to 35 tooth on a more open track, was a bit over geared, going to run 95 spur next time, should be right, i went the diff in the front end cos im an offroader, and it feels more how i like it, plus i like the better on-power steering it seems to provide, i put the plastic diff in the rear for the light weight, car felt a little quier off the line and in top speed, we (being the rc lab team) use venom springs, some of the guys go harder in the rear, to make it more aggressive, and run sway bars, this is the next few things i'll do, we have a big summer nats meeting coming up and practise day on the friday, these things will be tested out, i dont know too much about tyres, so atm im relying on teammates and they're running UFRA 40's fr and rr and they hang on quite well, but are wearing at an alarming rate on this track, but at most others its good, the track for the summer nats is very abrasive outdoor netball court, asphalt, people are using rubber there to good effect, so im also going to try those on the friday.

actually one question, do u guys generally go harder than the kit springs, or softer, on the uk site they basically say that the kit spring is as hard as u should need to go, but some of our guys reckon they go harder all round, this is still on the concrete/asphalt surfaces, cya and thanks
Bathurst Vintage Enduro - 17th March, 2018 - 1st round of the NSW Vintage enduro Championship
NOFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 08:52 PM   #875
Tech Elite

nofx - well, i run carpet, but i've gone way heavier than the kit springs. i think the kit springs are like 13.5 lbs or so. that's ridiculous if you ask me. granted our tracks are tight and made of ozite, but i've found myself as high as 34lbs in the rear. my car turned my fastest times with that setup. that was when the paragon was all over the carpet and traction was very good since all the teams were using our track for the us indoor champs practice. the very next week i had to go back down to 26 lb springs and have been there since. i still get plenty of chassis roll like this. i'm looking to get back to the 30-35 lb range for added cornerspeed. i'm hoping my new spool will help maintain on power steering with a stiffer setup.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:56 AM   #876
Tech Elite

hey seaball, yeah i was reading about that somewhere, are u locking the rear diff, not a bad idea, but it may go too far, though good luck with it mate, ok, i'll be getting some harder springs then, that way i'll have a good selection, i got a few of the softer venom springs the other day, do u use the anti roll ba at all man?
Bathurst Vintage Enduro - 17th March, 2018 - 1st round of the NSW Vintage enduro Championship
Old 01-14-2003, 10:42 AM   #877
Tech Elite

nofx - actually the spool was intended for the front! i've seen alot of ads for a spool for the tc3 lately. i think because it's the premier carpet car right now. it's supposed to act close to a one way on power without loosing the braking on the front end. the tradeoff is that's it opposite a one way off power, causing a push or sluggish turn in.
right now i've yet to experiment with sway bars front or rear. really, i believe that you can get ultra close to a perfect setup w/o sways. between spring rates, damping, and droop the car should be close. the sway bars add precious weight and it's very high on the chassis as well. i may eventually get there, though.
Old 01-14-2003, 04:44 PM   #878
Tech Elite

Speaking about the frt oneways,if you set the car up nicely on carpet,you can actually brake in corners.I have done it on my car and it's nice to have the compo of brakes and fast turn in.

Seaball is right.!! if the car is set up good,the use of sway is not needed.You can see mine has none.. but who knows...maybe 1 day I get bored with the settings will try something else.

On carpet I'm using Sorex 32's frt and rear...and works really well.Some of the guys are using 28's and 24's.
I'll be reducing more weight from the car very soon...thanks to Seaball.... got some of the precious light weight stuffs coming...Will have pics soon.....
Old 01-15-2003, 11:25 PM   #879
Tech Elite

Chrisman, i read earlier that u were saying that the xpress and lab have similar parts, my friend has put the lightweight universals onto his car from the Xpress, do u know of any probs with this and can u recommend a good shop online i can order them from, thanks man, cya
Old 01-15-2003, 11:49 PM   #880
Tech Elite

if i may step in...thank you. hehe. the xpress parts that will fit are:

- complete diffs including outdrives
- cvd's/unis
- one way front diff
- umm..shock towers have same mounting hole pattern, but why.

i used the unis from the xpress all around when i build the car (not the aluminum ones). problem is they wear fairly fast, and i broke both fronts at the joint from hard taps on the boards. crazy thing is the carriers and hubs stayed together. on the other hand, the rclab cvd's will bend in a hard crash. you'll finish the race, but then you've got to pitch the dogbone. at least it's a cheaper fix. just like corally, atlas, and a few other high end cars, aluminum bones are pretty much reserved for the rear where they won't bend. use steel in the front. i'd like to get the schumacher plastic one's fitted on in the future. they never go, and the blades are awesome.

i can't help much with the shopping for them. i do know that the xpress site is still current and it appears that you can get stuff direct from them. here it is.

http://www.rc-xpress.com/all.html

hope that helped,
chris.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:12 AM   #881
Tech Elite

Thanks Seaball,

Couldn't said any better than what you had posted...awesome.
They work but the material used for the Uni,is just not up to the performance and reliability.I would use the lab rebuildable ones all around.They are much reliable.Other than that I find Judy Butter works really well in keeping the wear down and lubes well for the cvds.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:39 AM   #882
Tech Elite

thanks guys, i appreciate the fast reply

cya

Mikey
Old 01-16-2003, 01:52 PM   #883
Tech Elite

hey dudes, i was wondering if u could tell me how the cars are related, eg, same manfacuter or designer etc
Old 01-16-2003, 06:07 PM   #884
Tech Elite

Heem...The Manufacture which is RCLAB themself <as I know they are not related to any other manufacture out there.They are basically on their own,started from the love of the hobby to manufacturing the lab cars.They had done a lot of research before the 6.0 or 5.0 were out..those were the days when the 5.2 TTT was released and that's when I came on board and raced it a lot.There's a few racers around the world that has a previleage of testing these cars before it came to North America or Europe.Lots of testing and analzing competitor products against lap's before full production of a model came out.5.2ttt was basically the base or beginning of the RCLABS 7 cars.....
Old 01-17-2003, 01:12 AM   #885
Tech Elite

yeah, don't take this for fact, but i'd assume that at the time of developement that the xpress car was one to be copied for a few things. it was, and is, one of the lightest cars out. it was geared to be super competitive out of the box. why not start there? diffs really don't matter much in terms of the layout. it's usually the materials that make the difference. ie, tc balls, cermic balls, hard rings. there is basically an optimum diameter to have the balls away from the center so that they grip well, but don't add too much to the rotating inertia. the pulley itself is important in terms of belt drag. hence, the 17/37 option. which reminds me...

chrisman - why don't any other companies use the plastic like polymer that losi uses for their belts? i felt one of our local fast guy's losi and it spun for a few seconds w/o motor in. it was ridiculous. you could finger the spur and it would continue to spin for a few revolutions. i thought my lab was free for a belt car. anyway...any plans for an "ultra flex" belt? oh, and by the way... where is the car manufactured? the price says somewhere in the orient.

results:

of the spool. finally something went according to plan. the spooled front end had gobs of on power steering. with my "soft" setup that i've recently been using to get the steering i need, the spool was dragging the car wherever the front went. this allowed me to stiffen the front w/o getting a push on power. the car carried so much more cornerspeed with the added stiffness to the front end. that was the plan, and it worked. unfortunately turn in was difficult and this track tonight had some tech areas right after the straight that i couldn't get into as i wished. i was only a mere 3/10's off of the fastest lap turned. the car is definately still getting better for me. if i had the skills i might run the one way on carpet, but not yet. i think i may bust it out at the next practice we have. man, off power and on power steering! recipe for speed if it can be smooth.

well, thanks for your time. oh, and my new bumper held up great! can't wait to race on sunday where there's a smidge more traction. anyone know where i can get 45lb tc springs? jk. i may be forced to go with the sway just to get the lateral stiffness i want.

later.