R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-07-2002, 01:01 AM   #646
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

i dunno about the jetta, but i dig the pics. it's pretty with all that lrp to accent the blue kit. what's the deal with the ultra narrow chassis though? graphite weighs nothing, and i just refuse to stack components. why isn't the chassis the same width all the way to the front? i'd rather have more carbon so that i can keep the cg low. i know some have fit xxl's under the belt, but that still leaves little surface to tape the cyclone. time to get some c/f blank sheets, if i ever get to assembling the car. i'm still leary about the 15 tooth pullies. why not 17? too big of a spur to get back the overall? next evo should see 18/36 gearing imho. just so that the belts can be run very loose. really i'd like to see a drop down layshaft like the ova t4. just to take a different approach. well, good to hear from ya chrisman. i'll have pics as soon as i finish assembling. later.
seaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 08:37 PM   #647
Tech Regular

Chrisman is a diehard Jetta fan . I have a copy of the magazine and I like the review. I dunno about the blue :P, I have a red one and it is sooo cool . So many ppl have been asking us about the car in Apollo, one guy was thinking about getting one when he read about it in the magazine. The review was comparable to the Tamiya 414MII with a slight edge on the 7even when it comes to High speed driving of the car.

Myx - who let the dogs out!!! whoof! whoof! whoof! Who's your Daddy!! lol!
rcspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 01:36 AM   #648
Tech Addict

rcspeedo- Yeah, yeahhhh! One pack out of counless... and your barking. It also got too dark too see my car. Wait till tomorrow. IT'S CLOBERING TIME!

chrisman- Haven't seen the article yet. Will get a copy soon. Time to come out and have fun with the boys. Can't make it Sun. Fri. is all I can do.

I like the jetta too. Different. Too much Stratus.

seaball- I like some of your ideas too. We'll just have to wait and see if RC Lab makes any adjustments. I personnaly would like to see them open up a quick access to the diffs. The universals need to be re-designed so that they won't develop slop so soon.
Other than that the car has been bullet proof for me and I sill enjoy running the car.
MYXTYPLYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 05:57 PM   #649
Tech Elite

thanks man. i am pretty smart. jk. nah, i will be running the rclab soon so i'll better be able to comment based on an on track evaluation.
Old 07-12-2002, 06:38 PM   #650
Tech Regular

... hmm... most people I know here run 17/37 and the belts are quite loose and boy is it drag-free pr what compared to the orig. ones...
sonneteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 09:38 PM   #651
Tech Elite

hummm. i've got like 15/32 i think. i'll have to look agian. the parts list says it comes with 15 and 17, and a 37 tooth diff pulley. i dunno.
Old 07-13-2002, 04:38 AM   #652
Tech Regular

I am pretty sure 17/37 is optional, well at least overhere! Just do it!!!
sonneteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 07:45 AM   #653
Tech Elite

ummm. you're right. i'm gonna have to switch that up. sucks that i'll have two belts, pullies, etc that will never be used, but oh well. thanks.
Old 07-13-2002, 04:05 PM   #654
Tech Regular

...and the car gets so punchy that you need to drive it to believe it.
I tested my 17/37 conversion today with one way, and it's a dream.

It accelerates so fast that I have to take caro not to hit the guys in front of me.

... and I talking about a 12x2 modified with a 5.95 ratio...
antoniop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 06:18 PM   #655
Tech Elite

hey you fellas running the 17/37 conversion. did you have to dremel diff slots in the chassis, or lengthen the rear top plate slot for belt clearence. mine seems to almost rub with the 15/32.
Old 07-13-2002, 07:20 PM   #656
Tech Regular

No,

The rear belt goes in perfectly and the pulley goes in the intended space very well. I just use the rear belt tensioner as before. However the belt is a little more sloppy.

The front belt is another matter. It is VEEY LOOSE, so I built a tensioner with a servo post, a piece of carbon and a bb tensioner from a HPI Rally. It's installed on the front upper deck and it works fine.

I'll take a couple os pics and post it here. I've read about the slots under the pulleys or cutting the upper decks but quite honestly I don't feel it's needed.
Old 07-13-2002, 10:32 PM   #657
Tech Elite

cool. i forgot that the rear belt typically gets tensioned. i will also be making a tensioner for the front as i've seen in some of the blue prototypes. now i just have to suck it up and order some of that stuff. i just got my graphite blank and i think i may cut out a chassis that's straight from rear up so that i can mount all my stuff on the lower plate. i'd really like to mount the transponder somewhere between the front and rear axles, not in the bumper. dunno why, just looks seems to look nicer. i'll have to check weght bias when i finally get it assembled and then make that decision. later.
Old 07-14-2002, 01:59 AM   #658
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to chrisman Send a message via Yahoo to chrisman

Hello Everyone,

Here's a top view of the Evo2 with the 17 x 37 diff and pulleys.Pay attension to the frt upper plate a belt tensioner used.It has gone thru a diet to make the car as lite as possible and no Drag.............runs awesome.
chrisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 02:21 AM   #659
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to chrisman Send a message via Yahoo to chrisman

Ok.Here's a little info on my test set up.
The gears used on testing are the 17x37 no oneways.Full time 4x4.It's very agressive in corners.Still trying to set it up.Once done,frt oneways be going in.This gear ratio is ran with mod 10x2 geared at 125 x 38.Very fast......

I like it better than the 15x32 stock gear ratio.Stock gearing is good but having a choice of different gear ratio to choose from is great for track tunning. Also the other choice be 17x32.

I ran the 17x37 in stock.....believe me, the corner speed is fast and in the end field it has lots of punch and now it's running 4x4.I can see it better with frt oneways.I ran a roar legal MVP hand out motor and nothing was done to it and it is fast.Needs a little more tuning ,it be a hard car to pass.

As the picture I had posted, the rear upper plate has been cut in half.This I found not only it clears the rear belt,biggest improvement was the rear traction.No sway bars used.

There'll be more updates on the car that I be posting.Just got behind on everything.
chrisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 01:42 PM   #660
Tech Regular

As promised...

Today, I improved my best time on a track near home by 12 seconds.

Reedy 12x1
5.95 ratio
Sanyo HV 3000 Orion Team
Take Off CS 27
Protoform Vectra
17/37
Front One Way

And now the fun part...
Rear
HPI Blue Linear Springs
35wt oil
-2 camber

Front
Yokomo Orange Springs
70wt oil (!!!!)
-1.5 camber
0 toe

I never liked the suspension with soft oil and springs. The car and the front hooked but it let go the rear forcing me to be soft on the curves.
With this setup I just hit it. Curves on throttle and no tendencies to oversteer/understeer. The rear stays planted.