Tech Elite

I was happy with 235mm.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 03:25 AM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAu View Post
... and why are we stuck on the whole 4 door sedan thing?

2 - Why was 190mm decided as the width for electric cars?
Just a few ideas about bodies.
First you are only stuck with 4 door sedams if you want to. I haev never bought a bubble car.And i have had to as i dont have anywhere that will let me race on if i wanted. Bodies are big bussiness and a bubble car can be bought for a 1/3 of the price of a M-chassis body. So our local tracks only run the normal car bodies. Tamiya,Yokomo,HPI,ABC all make great looking bodies that the LHS can make money off of. I like to see these bodies.
For Le Mans type bodies there is a Direct drive circut that runs an enduro a few times a year and its free to any Le Mans body ever made.

Your Second question is a pretty one sided view. And its not your fault but alot of people think that all touring car are 190mm. I think thi is all the hype that the magazines put out. Maybe in your area this is true,but there are plently of other way to go at it as there is TCs of course where some of the cars are wider than others. Yokomo runs a Super Stock class that uses the Drift Package chassis`s. These can have a wider width as much as 200mm at the rear depanding on which body/chassis you use. Kyosho also made most of thier cars in 200mm before they got the bug to be world champion at everything and forgot about customers that like other cars.

HPI has some very nice bodies in 200mm and like you i have staired at them.
If you want to run one at your next race see if they will let you. Use offset wheels to fill in the wheel arches. Say something like im not using a downforce body so give me a few extra mm on the chassis. They might go for it. You would have the best looking car there not matter what you picked.
If you went really crazy you could use one of the Toyota GT1 bodies designed for the F103GT chassis. It should fit the TA05 IFS.

Anyway to long of a post but try and see if you can get some better things going as im all about burning all the molds for bubble cars in a big bon fire.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:27 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syber Serulean View Post
and damn, corally, calm down. The question in the subject line of the thread is "why" and an answer should be "this is why..." and not some rant.
Please since you know so clearly my intention.....find the rant. I never called anyone names, I did not post in caps, indicating yelling. I did not post in bold. When Tony said I misunderstood what he was getting at, I thanked him for correcting me.

Steve
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 03:39 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAu View Post
If you don't have an interest thats fine, you are entitled to your own interests... If my posts have misled you in anyway then I appologise... if its because you have some sort of chip on your shoulder then thats NOT MY problem
Did you not read the part where I even said I liked the HPI Saleen body and at a latter time I would like to organize or race in a event with this style body. Again where is this attitude or chip on my shoulder. I can accuse you of reading too much into my posts as you are doing to me.

As for the royalties post, I asked did you know.....meaning did you know, believe it or not some people who post about scale realism may not know this fact. It has been discussed many times over the years and answered by Mr. Protoform on his threads. This is at least part of the reason why the body rules have been relaxed a little bit, so I have heard.

Steve
Old 01-05-2008, 03:52 AM   #20
Tech Elite

, I think I have defended myself now.

I believe one reason for the 190mm compared to the why not 200mm could simply be, that it was hoped that 190mm cars represented a size that was larger than the smaller 1/12th sale cars but yet were small enough to race indoors. I can only assume that when nitro cars were invented most people thought that they would run outside. I do realize that there are some indoor tracks that run nitro.

Steve
Old 01-05-2008, 04:35 AM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
one reason I like Minis is because they do look like real cars
Except the first tamiya LWB "new" mini. That thing looked stretched out of all proportion. We called it the canyonero mini for some reason which seemed good at the time but escapes me right now...

Scott.
ozoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:57 AM   #22
Tech Master

When touring first started, in Japan of course, and by Yokomo, they just wanted to do them as real as possible. Even hight was more realistic.
Wings was in scale as well ( approx. 10 mm ). I hade one and it was an easy and funny class. See pic.

My best guess about 200mm is that they needed wider tires, and space for the mufflers.
Anders Myrberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 08:22 AM   #23
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Touring Cars

Well, I for one have never run what everyone else was. When everyone ran the Stratus, I ran the Protoform M3 or the Volvo S40 (still have a few too) and when everyone went to the Mazda I found the MG ZS or ran the HPI M3 GTR. I am very adamant about running a body that represents a real race car ie the Mazda (SCCA Speed World Challenge), the Saleen S7R (FIA GT), Ford Mondeo or Volvo S40 (BTCC). Local club racing allows me to run these bodies instead of the BlobNA which doesnt look like an actual car in any sense. If the club racing rules prevent me from running some of these bodies, then Im done supporting club racing. Im glad there are others that appreciate some sort of realism!

Last edited by SpeedySST; 01-05-2008 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Misspelling error
SpeedySST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:36 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to trdsupra88
Default b

I may be te only one who does, but I happen to like seeing the Stratus', Audi's, and the G6's as Body's. Its sort of reminds me of Autocross racing where the normal guy gets to race his car. The sport body's are also nice. At my LHS the only place to race electric on road in Vegas, we are "open" to all body types. In the Sportsman class we run corvette's to Retro bodies and Sedan's. I guess Im saying I like em all.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:56 AM   #25
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedySST View Post
Well, I for one have never run what everyone else was. When everyone ran the Stratus, I ran the Protoform M3 or the Volvo S40 (still have a few too) and when everyone went to the Mazda I found the MG ZS or ran the HPI M3 GTR. I am very adamant about running a body that represents a real race car ie the Mazda (SCCA Speed World Challenge), the Saleen S7R (FIA GT), Ford Mondeo or Volvo S40 (BTCC). Local club racing allows me to run these bodies instead of the BlobNA which doesnt look like an actual car in any sense. If the club racing rules prevent me from running some of these bodies, then Im dont supporting club racing. Im glad there are others that appreciate some sort of realism!
And you probably don't win very many races either.

When "sedan" first started, many people appreciated the scale apperance of the cars, especially the Tamiya cars. Many racers jumped from the very competitive 1/12 scale to the new have fun class. From the beginning the racers wanted to keep the cars as stock appearing as possible, and not introduce the higher competitive things like aerodynamic bodies and foam tires.

So early on it was decided that bodies must be 4 door sedans and you must run rubber tires.

But, racers being racers, things began to change as people looked for "advantages." Chassis design went from molded plastic to the machined graphite and aluminum we see today. And once racers figured out that a certain body handled better than the others, everyone brought that body. So body makers began looking at what made bodies handle different, and now you have the current crop of blobs, as someone else put it.

I'm with you, I would rather see more realistic looking cars. However most racers only care about going fast and not what it looks like.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:43 AM   #26
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post
And you probably don't win very many races either.

When "sedan" first started, many people appreciated the scale apperance of the cars, especially the Tamiya cars. Many racers jumped from the very competitive 1/12 scale to the new have fun class. From the beginning the racers wanted to keep the cars as stock appearing as possible, and not introduce the higher competitive things like aerodynamic bodies and foam tires.

So early on it was decided that bodies must be 4 door sedans and you must run rubber tires.

But, racers being racers, things began to change as people looked for "advantages." Chassis design went from molded plastic to the machined graphite and aluminum we see today. And once racers figured out that a certain body handled better than the others, everyone brought that body. So body makers began looking at what made bodies handle different, and now you have the current crop of blobs, as someone else put it.

I'm with you, I would rather see more realistic looking cars. However most racers only care about going fast and not what it looks like.
Pretty much exactly my opinion as well. And then they create cheeper variants of these classes, like 19t, stock etc. But they all go the same way in cost in the end.
Anders Myrberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
I was happy with 235mm.
LOL those old slugs?? The 200mm killed off them old cars

WE had enough guys whine about our clubs 4door rule that we finally said run what ever you want, as long as its 190mm doesnt drag on the carpet and is not hand made.... Yep a few guys got there mustangs and corevette. This was changed about 2 years ago, drop by the track today and everyone is running the sedans/touring bodies. Why? Because looking kool is not always fast. So to race everyone ended up back with what works, race designed touring car bodies

Touring cars along with tamiya is what started this class. ITs similar to suggesting that the old F1 classes allow a bmw sedan to race along with the open wheel f1 cars... Different class is why we never allowed it
Old 01-05-2008, 02:25 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Seeing as how this topic got a little sidetracked. I have to ask this, as far as club racing goes who cares what body you run. I know my track doesn't.
Kregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 03:49 PM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I was involved in a club a few years ago where the fastest nitro tourer ran a Corvette body, regularly out pacing the sedan bodies...

I think on a track where downforce is not a huge issue ie a big open track, then they won't really be a disadvantage... on a smaller track yes they could have problems, but then it might be a case of picking the right body... I ran a Proline GT40 body for a while and it was a VERY close match to the sedan bodies in performance.

I've considered running a Saleen body at my home club level... difficulty is as soon as you go to another club or a larger event its back to the sedan bodies and most likely a different setup/handling etc so it becomes a bit of a trade off.

Don't mistake not being happy for unhappiness - its not the same thing
ShadowAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:15 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to annie_himself

The 'Vettes and other bodies would be great to see on the track. But that would probably add another class.

I see it like this, the fastest on-road class is 8th scale (correct me if I'm wrong) and they have the cooler or sleek looking bodies that your looking for. Those Le Mans type cars resemble a Evola or MRX4R closer than they resemble a MTX4R or 720. So, the "better" bodies go to the "better" cars.

Vroom Vroom
annie_himself is offline   Reply With Quote